Gazza

I'm almost 3 years late on this one, but I was reminded when I saw 021002 printed on my Superman onride photo, but can anyone go into a bit more detail about what this campaign involved? I remember back on the Superman website they had set up a number of people got to be first riders for correctly guessing that 021002 meant zero to 100 in 2 secs (I dpn't even remember there being a competition). I also remember people mentioning that it was printed on bus adverts (By itself?) But Im a bit confused, was this just a tagline, or was it a wider teaser campaign in the build up to the ride. Any info about what the did is good, since there weren't any ads like this down in Victoria.

Pretty sure it was teaser Gazza. From the info they had on the website, and on the forums here, the ads were on bus shelters and stuff, just the "01002" and a website (which I think was also 01002.com.au or something) which had more info, so you'd see 01002 and a website, and it would drive you nuts, so you'd log onto the 01002 website and get involved, where you also found out about the competition to work out what it meant to be the first to ride it. You're pretty spot on from the info I can remember.

Chalk this one up as a failed attempt. One thing that a teaser marketing campaign needs is something to tease about. Parks overseas will commence such a campaign months before anyone anywhere knows what's going on and it becomes a precursor to the actual mainstream marketing efforts, normally they're useful in drumming up annual pass sales for the coming year. The problem here is that they tried to use it as the initial phase of their core advertising efforts, by which stage anyone who would be interested either knew or could figure it out upon seeing the thing staring at them as they walked through the park gate, or through a Google search that'd lead them to a site like this. You've gotta give them points for giving it a shot, but really, anyone with a semblance of marketing experience could have seen this wasn't going to work. As far as dreadful advertising campaigns go, I think the torch has been well and truly passed to Dreamworld for their latest run of Motocoaster ads. Doesn't get much more cringeworthy, and I'd hate to imagine how the 15-16 year old kids they're targetting are responding. Doohan = Doin'... what kid doesn't love that!

When Disney introduced fake snow many a Christmas ago to Disneyland's Fireworks Finale it was marketed with fake news reports reporting heavy snow in California and a reporter standing in what looked like a snow storm, with satellite images of LA and where the snow was falling. "Predominately in the Disneyland area". I think half of the state went to Disneyland following that day, to find out it was one street, and lasted a minute. Successful, but mean, advertising.