The Off Topic Topic

http://www.thetanooki.com/2015/03/23/six-flags-magic-mountains-goliath-rollercoaster-to-be-transformed-into-monster-hunter-4-ultimates-gore-magala/

Six Flags Magic Moutain is retheming Goliath to the popular 3DS game Monster Hunter 4 Ulitmate.

From March 28th through August 10th, the popular Goliath hypercoaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain will be transformed into a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ride. For the opening weekend festivities, the national Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Caravan Tour will also be at Six Flags Magic Mountain for special event days this Saturday and Sunday.

With the Six Flags partnership, the game will come to life with one dedicated passenger train of the Goliath coaster custom-skinned to resemble the games flagship Gore Magala monster. The Goliath coaster giant is a metal monster with a staggering 255 foot drop taken at 85 mph, making this one of the longest and fastest drops in the world. Once riders conquer the thrilling high-speed banked turns, camelback hills, huge spiral curves and zero gravity drops of the Gore Magala themed Goliath coaster, they will have a chance to tackle the ferocious Gore Magala in game form as they test out the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo at kiosks inside the Cyber Cafe. Special Monster Hunter merchandise will also be for sale in the park to commemorate this ultimate vertical adventure.

For more information, be sure to check out the full press release after the break!

Capcom Partners with Six Flags Magic Mountain to Bring Epic Monster HunterTM 4 Ultimate Experience to Life

Games Flagship Monster Gore Magala Unites with Theme Parks Goliath Coaster for the Ultimate Vertical Adventure

San Mateo, Calif. March 23, 2015 Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, announced a partnership with Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, the worlds largest regional theme park operator, to bring the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate experience to guests at Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World. As part of the campaign, the parks Goliath roller coaster will be re-themed to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate beginning March 28 and through August 10. To help kick off the opening weekend of the program, the national Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate traveling Caravan Tour will also be making a stop at Six Flags Magic Mountain for special event days on March 28 and 29.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is the biggest and most accessible entry yet in the popular Monster Hunter series, which has sold more than 32 million units worldwide. In Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, players take on the role of a hunter that joins up with a traveling caravan to explore new lands and combat ferocious enemies in pursuit of the ultimate hunt. The latest game takes players to new heights, literally, with the introduction of more dynamic vertical gameplay including a new monster riding mechanic.

With the Six Flags partnership, the game will come to life with one dedicated passenger train of the Goliath coaster custom-skinned to resemble the games flagship Gore Magala monster. The Goliath coaster giant is a metal monster with a staggering 255 foot drop taken at 85 mph, making this one of the longest and fastest drops in the world. Once riders conquer the thrilling high-speed banked turns, camelback hills, huge spiral curves and zero gravity drops of the Gore Magala themed Goliath coaster, they will have a chance to tackle the ferocious Gore Magala in game form as they test out the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo at kiosks inside the Cyber Cafe. Special Monster Hunter merchandise will also be for sale in the park to commemorate this ultimate vertical adventure.

Fans who visit Six Flags Magic Mountain for the opening weekend of the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate program can also attend the special Caravan event on March 28 or 29, where they will be immersed in the world of Monster Hunter with a custom setting that recreates the look and feel of the traveling Caravan from the game. They will also be able to meet up to play the game with fellow hunters and Capcom staff on those days.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is available now for Nintendo 3DS and is compatible with all of the Nintendo 3DS family of handheld systems including the recently released New Nintendo 3DS system. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate can be purchased at retail and also as a digital download in the Nintendo eShop across North America and Europe.

To download assets and access further information on Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, please visit the Capcom Press Site. For assets and information on Goliath, please visit https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/goliath

Edited by The_Ninja_59

For those interested ABC's Lateline had a segement on Lynton V. Harris including plenty of footage of Zombie Evilution and training the scare actors.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/scaremaster-lynton-harris/6360262

Edit: Sorry I don't seem to have any luck embedding the video.

Edited by Richard

I've been calculating recently how much the prices of several coasters are worth in today's money.

Cyclone (when installed at LPS)

7 million in 1995- 11.9 million today (nearly the same cost as Abyss)

Thunderbolt

3.3 million in 1982- 10.8 million today

Sea Viper

2 million in 1982- 6.6 million today

Does someone really think that LPS will invest $12 million into their next coaster? I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

So about a month ago i made the trip to Movieworld for the first time since probably '08, and actually rode things. But there were a few things that just seemed a bit 'off', coming from a first time rider of the following:

Scooby- Great ride for starters, but i was just expecting a little more from the movie in the ride, and something better from the queue.And even more from the station (I felt that Sea Viper had a better station.). In Youtube videos, you don't see the queue or station in any i've watched, so i went into it with higher expectations after just coming off JL. It's just a room with a fountain, 2 projectors, and some moving knights. I was expecting a little more "magic" from what i'd heard on here. Although the hallway illusion was fantastic in how it messed with me. The station i was expecting was more or less along the station i saw in the movie, and not a room with lack of life. While it was a bit disappointing seeing TPR's video, as it had practically nothing in the way of the movie, i came to expect a bit more. The ride was great, and the last room, video's don't do justice.

Justice League- Speaking of justice, the scale of the first room is amazing, and probably the only ride i've been on where seeing the roof didn't actually detract from the ride itself. Videos or this too don't do justice, but it would have been nice to see a little more work put in to blur the real and fiction line. I'm also not quite a fan of the lack of sole JL characters. i.e. While Aqua man isn't the most appealing character, he IS the Captain America of DC. and even seeing Martian Manhunter and the like would have been nice too.

Wild West- Amazing. Can't fault this too much; Apart from the major plot hole, the entire out door section. And even having a graphic to some degree in the last room would have been better. It's also nice to ride 2 water rides (Storm) and have other people who got soaked look at you like a god when you get off without a single drop.

Rio- While a bit jumpy, this is how you put on a show without a stage. The 3D was EXTREMELY well done, coming from someone obsessed with the matter.

Parade- There was an extreme lack of interactivity. And Victor Fries float. Batman basically brushed people off. Meanwhile Sylvester was really playful, and Bonnie and Clyde did really well in interacting with people and still keeping character right before their show.

Intencity- Potato.

Superman- I also went into this expecting a bit more, and that's coming from someone who despises him. While i get its 'rapid' transit, i was honestly expecting the pre-launch to be a bit slower, and the nice view of the roof, and the smell of water, were a nice touch to dampen a really well made ride.

Arkham- While i didn't actually ride this, I did walk through the queue, and i was both blown away while still being underwhelmed. And having the theme get less and less as you move closer to the old entrance/viewing platform also dampened things a tad.

Stuntdriver: Non Peak Edition- Potato.

All in all, good but not great. And most of this probably stems from me being the hardest person to visually fool. As i always tell people who ask why i never really get into the atmosphere of things, is: "The best kind of effect is one that fools Sherlock Holmes".

I think that since the high standard set by rides such as Justice League and Storm, we've become a bit expectant of a certain level of themeing. I really hope that one day we might see some of the ride queues have a better designed queue, such as Superman's Beige Box. If it doesn't happen one day, I wouldn't be mad but if it does I would think that the rides would be better off.

Also, with the Justice League characters, I'm sure it had something to do with the number of scenes in relations to characters. If every JL character was included, I'm pretty sure that superheroes would outnumber Starro Spores.

My expectancy of theming never came from storm, in fact for about 6 years (3 QLD trips) I went to dreamworld only, and only rode basically non themed things. And I was still expecting more from Storm. I think it stems from my ability to never be properly immersed by things.

And the hallway i'm talking about is leading up to the station from the main room in the queue. The walls suggest you're flat, but the floor says otherwise.

Edited by jjuttp

• rappa locked this topic