No more Nickelodeon at Dreamworld?

Bmull19

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at The Outsiders website and they have a gallery showing the recent theming removal at Nick Central. There's a pic of the now-very-blank Spongebob Flypants ride and the comment under the photo refers to the yellow blob on top of the central ride column. They aren't sure what it is but seem to think this is a new addition which has supposedly 'replaced' Spongebob. They mention that some people have been referring to it as 'melted spongebob'. Now, I haven't even seen the ride in person but I'm pretty sure the yellow blob has actually always been there, they've just recently painted over it. Judging by photos from before the theming was removed, the yellow blob was previously a purple jellyfish with the Spongebob figure standing on top. Surprised they didn't realise this. Anyway, the ride looks absolutely terrible now without theming. It was pretty impressive when it was all themed up properly

Confirmed.

Kid's World - where kids really do rule Dreamworld’s top family attraction, is bursting with 10 different rides and attractions, all designed with kids in mind. The largest kids’ zone at a Gold Coast theme park, Kid's World is a whole new world of fun for families with children aged four to 12 years. What you need to know TARGETTING THE TOTS 1. Rainforest Rampage … Kids will have a ball in this foam ball play factory filled with 20,000 colourful foam balls, moved around by 28 vacuums and compressed air cannons. Kids can blast Mum, Dad and friends as they rampage through an interactive two storey adventure playground. 2. The Swinger Zinger …Zoom through the skies on this aerial chair ride in a ride. A mix between traditional fun and fast tech, it’s bound to have the kids laughing out loud. 3. Bumper Beach ... Everyone’s favourite fairground fun, kids can dodge, duck and spin around their friends every day in the dodgem arena. 4. The Mighty-Go-Round … A turntable of twists to enchant the smallest of tots, Dreamworld’s carousel of fun is home to painted ponies. Relive your childhood excitement and be enthralled as you go round, and round, and round again. 5. Remota Cars and Trucks … In between spinning wizzing and twirling, why not take charge of our toy trucks at the Remota cars and trucks. TWEEN ADVENTURE 1. The SkyRocket Rollercoaster… Hang on to this incredible suspended family coaster! Shoot through the sky as you duck and weave through the atmosphere on an intergalactic adventure before returning safely back on earth. Australia’s first suspended family rollercoaster SkyRocket stands 18 metres high and offers plenty of tummy jumping thrills for the whole family, the 342 metre track weighs 200 tonnes and incorporates six km of cabling. 2. Kite Flyer ... Dreamworld's Kite Flyer will take you on a journey that soars up into the air swirling around, dipping and rising as if you were on the end of a rope. The closest thing to feeling like you are flying, Kite Flyer is the perfect ride for kids and parents to enjoy together. 3. The Avalanche… Spin-out on a crazy mountain adventure and dash around in the dark inside Dreamworld's tallest sculpture. 4. Reef Diver … Forget the flippers, you won't need them on this giant whiling whirlpool of fun. But you will need the ear plugs as you and your friends test their tonsils when Reef Diver rises to a nerve-wracking vertical height. Be careful! It’s only centrifugal force that keeps you stuck in your seat. Aside from this, why not meet all your favourite Dreamworld stars including Kenny Koala and Belinda Brown and Goldie the Clown every day of the year!

http://about.dreamworld.com.au/Media-Centre/Media-Kit/Media-Kit-Pages/Nick-Central-Where-Kids-Rule.aspx It's interesting to see that they have cancelled their contract with Nick. I'm not too fond of the generic theme though. Strange how they mentioned the Reef Diver there - I wonder if it was a mistake? Also, not mentioned in this release was the Slime Bowl is becoming the Dream Bowl and will host the Kenny Koala show and the Goldie the Clown show all year-round. Finally over at WhiteWater World Nickelodeon Pipeline Plunge has become just Pipeline Plunge.

To add to its confirmation, here are some attachments of what the Dreamworld/Whitewater World Park Map now looks like: post-1244-0-40588500-1308901260_thumb.jppost-1244-0-10855200-1308901286_thumb.jp You can clearly see Nickelodeon theming has been removed and 'Slime Bowl' is renamed to 'The Dream Bowl'. post-1244-0-45835800-1308901249_thumb.jp Strangly, on the park map, Bumper Beach remains Nickelodeon-themed. post-1244-0-52441400-1308901302_thumb.jp The 'Nick Pix' shop is now called 'Fun Snapz' and the 'Nick Stuff' shop is now called 'Kid Spot'. post-1244-0-66548900-1308901220_thumb.jp The 'CatDog Pizza Shack' is now called simply 'Pizza Shack'. The generic 'Kids World' theme, I hope, is temporary. They could find a better theme that is kid/tween-related. Reef Diver's mention is probably, in my opinion, just to attract 'Tweens' to it. I wonder how will they achieve the 'Sky Rocket' theme? Also, no one I believe has noticed this but the 'Blue's Skidoo' ride is not mentioned in anything about the new 'Kids World'. Finally, it is nice to see Avalanche has retain its original name from the 1980's. That's probably the best change in theming.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Or they could just paint the dogs... I mean it can't be copyrighted the shape considering SBF Visa make the gondola's for other rides as well if they don't have the Dreamcopter's cars still. I just really hope they decide to run the Avalanche at a decent speed again, and backwards!!! The current way it runs is a sad excuse for a Matterhorn.

Haha 'Kids World'... how awful! I am going to go ahead and assume that this is definitely temporary. A similar thing happened before they built Nick Central, it was called 'Kennyland' for a while I believe. I still find this move really puzzling however. As I said previously, Nick Central was a massive crowd-puller for them and it had a large impact on their attendance levels. I still think many of the Nick characters are popular. I would love to hear the inside scoop on why this occurred and what is happening next

It was probably a 5yr contract or whatever just like shrek at movieworld

I would find that very strange considering the amount of money put into theming etc. Also, if they had any inkling that they were going to get out of the contract in a few years why would they have fully branded Pipeline Plunge at WWW? All of the slides are coloured that distinctive bright Nickelodeon orange - it'll be hard to make that fit with any other theme

All of the slides are coloured that distinctive bright Nickelodeon orange - it'll be hard to make that fit with any other theme

It should get a fresh paint job for a new theme.

There are still bits of nick theming here and there - the safety signs still have the old names.

It is probably going to take a while for everything Nick-themed to disappear. It probably was unexpected. If it was well-known that the contract was going to cease, I believe they would have closed each ride one at a time and spent some time re-theming it. They wouldn't have built Kite Flyer as 'Spongebob Flypants' if they knew it was unlikely that the contract was going to continue. I'm also guessing, in my opinion, that Shockwave was built in the old 'Chalk Zone' area of Nickelodeon Central because the contract ceased therefore providing extra space. If Kids World is temporary and Dreamworks moves in instead (would be appropriate lol because it is in Dreamworld) I think the rides/attractions should be themed like this: Pipeline Plunge - Themed to Flushed Away Rainforest Rampage - Themed to Madagascar Mighty-Go-Round - Themed to Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Kite Flyer - Themed to Bee Movie The Dream Bowl - Themed to Shrek (like themed to a royal court where they could have a Shrek show) Avalanche - Themed to Antz (turn mountain into giant ant hill? lol) or Kung Fu Panda (snow-capped Chinese mountain) Swinger Zinger - Themed to Dreamworks Animation in general Bumper Beach - Themed to Over The Hedge (pictures of a suburban community & characters on ride walls) Sky Rocket Rollercoaster - Themed to Chicken Run (ride building themed to a larger than life chicken coop, the ride area themed as the chicken farm and the carriages as the plane they attempt to escape in if its possible) I haven't seen all Dreamworks Animations films so if a ride doesnt match a film properly don't make a fuss but thats my opinion anyway. It would probably cost a lot for all new theming especially after 2 new rides. Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Lolwut? Other than the Dinosaur at the entrance of Reptar,can you give any examples?

I haven't been there for ages but didn't a large number of the rides in Nick Central have various nick theming on them? 3D statues, artwork, signage etc. The couple of examples I have in my head are Spongebob Flypants and Dora the Explorer (although I guess that last one has gone). Then you've got the colour choices chosen for the paintwork on things such as the track for Reptar and the orange fibreglass slides on Pipeline Plunge. I admit the theming is not anything special, but compared to DW's normal theming budget it would be significant. Then you've got all of the signage too and the various marketing and branding promotions changes required

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see the logo too Gaz. Speaking of the Avalanche, they should really bring back the Yeti that used to stand near the operators booth and try and grab you when you went past. His arms were too short though. It could be a fill-in until Dreamworld purchases a new licence for all new characters. They should also replace Dora's Seaplanes, considering that ride started service in 1982 it's been possibly the oldest ride in Dreamworld.