Wonderland Sydney is closing!

Flea

from the very beggining 19 years ago wonderland was in the wrong spot. At horsley park it was a remote area 20 years ago, it was practically all bush. i'll tell you now wonderland 20 years ago was what waragamba is now, too remote out of location. from the very begining it should have been where the current olympic site is now, its massive and in the area and its closer to the city, better views around when on rides and people notice it. Wonderland should have never been put in eastern creek. Theres no excuse no reason why it shouldn't be at homebush. i still think its a bit remote from the general population of sydney. The only time Wonderland did go big was the olympics becasue they were lucky to have the equestrian nearby to have people travelling in the inner west. still wrong location.

When Wonderland opened the Homebush site was a huge mess of filthy buildings & swamp, this would have cost the original company that built WL five times more to build due to land improvements needed. Wonderland isn't in the wrong spot, it was mismanaged since Sunway took over, there was little or no advertisement on TV & they hadn't added any new rides in more than 8 years. Seems that they just didn't learn the lesson that you need to spend money to make money.

What everyone on these forums dont understand, is that it wasn;t miss-management. It was clever management. Before you all think what the hell is he on about, the reason it was good management is because when Sunway bought the park, they had it on the cards from day 1 run it into the ground, dont spend anything and make the money from the land. Why didn't they close and sell it 8 years ago when they bought it? Because they waited for the right time when the M7 is going in and the land is worth millions. They were to sell it 8 years ago, take off 40% of what they got for it. They never wanted it to be a succesful theme park, all they wanted was their money. That makes you think why the company expresses itself as a company for the enjoyment of people. More like, ruin western sydney's playground. Steven Galbraith, what can we say about him, he managed it well making sure that sponsors were signing on, and making sure that no1 knew that they were going to close it when the time was right. And for those rumors that came around every so often, about new and exciting rides, ever sat down and thought that that was part of Sunway's tactic? Start rumors make sure they dont get to big, just to make it seem like they were doing something. I beleived those rumors, they sucked me in, but congratulations Sunway and the management. Clever people. Ill shutup now

I'd tend to agree with Jaggie on this. The only thing that doesn't add up is why the park spent so much money on refurbishment last year. Maybe they were going to try and sell to a different theme park operator? Even so, its selling is just short sightedness. Wonderland was not in a bad location. It was within an hour or two of 3 million people. Gold Coast parks get day visitors from as far as 5 hours drive away. Wonderland had the potential to attract many more visitors then what it did, and for better return then what selling the land did. Seaworld alone made $16 million profit in 2001 (including the $6million for Polar Bear Shores). In 5 years the park will make $80 million profit, even allowing $30 million for capital expenditure. To me that sounds better then the $52 million one off which Sunway got for Wonderland. Like I say, Short sightedness,

Well if you think about it Sunway paid only around $50 million originally when they bought the WHOLE of the Wonderland property. This property included all the land surrounding the main driveway and car parks. Sunway has been selling these parcels of land off seperately for various prices. The $52.5 mill that everyone is talking about is just for the specific land that the theme park sits on. So therefore in total they have made well over $52.5 mill. When you think about it that way, Sunway hasn't done too badly at all. It's also worth noting that Sunway will continue to have a financial interest in some of the land as not all of it was sold completely... part of the business park is going to be a joint venture with Sunway. By the way... welcome back Daniel, we missed you. Forgot to say that before. Where were you?

Just a note to everyone, the discussion about the possibility of some rides moving to Dreamworld has been moved to the Dreamworld forum. It wasn't Wonderland's management that were calling the shots. They were running the best park possible with what resources they had. In hindsight I think it's obvious that Sunway were in it for what we're seeing now. I don't understand either, it might be complex to operate a theme park, but that $50m price they got for the land could easily have been made in five years or so, especially with some investment in the park. I don't think that Wonderland's management team knew until fairly recently, and this is evident with the Beach refurbishments, Transylvania repainting, Superhero Headquaters and whatnot that were taking place up until this year. They were probably well informed that the park might be shut down in coming years to make way for other developments, but their brief would of course have been to maximise profits until they're given the word. The refurbishments probably came out of squeezing every penny of their upkeep budget for a few years, because I certainly don't think Sunway would have granted more than the bare minimum knowing the future of the park.

Richard you are absolutely spot on. The CEO even said something to that effect during the staff closure meeting. He talked about the various improvements that had been made to the park over the last few years and how they were almost entirely funded out of Wonderland's own operating revenue. Oh Sunway... how little respect I have for you

• 4 years later...

Wow. Its been almost 5 years since Wonderland closed. It seems like yesterday I was queing up for the Bush Beast for the first time ever. I know alot of people will say get over it to this, but i still really miss that place. People who live in QLD dont know at all what is like to be a coaster fanatic and have nothing. Wonderland was a great place no matter what anyone says. All the memories from there.. I was watching some video footage of one of the days at Wonderland yesterday. This would have been about 2002, when the place was still a fun family atmosphere. Characters walking around, all rides open, all shops open, the kiddie land open. Im just glad I got to go there and will always remember it. R.I.P Wonderland. All Sydney siders still miss you :]

Well as a person "living" in QLD, who will never be a "Queenslander", and formerly from NSW, I know what you mean. I will say that while the information that has been thrown around in the last 4 years is certainly compelling, the reasons - ALL the reasons given by everyone and anyone as to the closure of Wonderland are completely false. There was another reason for it's closure which I cannot disclose, but do not believe everything you hear.

Aw, 5 years on and we cant discuss it? PM me. I dont tell secrets unless their mine! Haha. Either way it shouldnt have closed.. Every time i went it was always flooded with people. But towards the end they got quite slack. Im curious as to why it did really close but. I just thought they went bust like many other amusement parks..

You make a pretty good point Bussy, but unfortunately, if I got any more specific as to which of the NPP's, privacy regulations or sections of the act itself were involved, it would kind of give it away.
I fail to see how telling us which part of the act or regulations gives away what information you may or may not have. Unless, that is, the part of the act or the regulation says "Information relating to the real reasons why Wonderland Sydney, owned by Sunway, closed, shall not be disclosed". The act and regulations are not that specific. I know a fair bit about privacy law due to my current job. The information I have access to is extensive and extremely sensitive and if I accessed it without good reason and/or leaked it I would not only loose my job but I would also be charged with a serious indictable offence and most likely have a stint in gaol. Bussy

Then you are in a very similar situation to me Bussy. I fail to see why those who have posted on here, as well as messaging me in private cannot understand the concept of non disclosure - crikey - a WVTP staff member says "I can't say anymore" and we leave it at that, but god forbid if it is a violation of privacy laws, national privacy principles or regulations, and suddenly its a big deal I why I won't say. Bussy, plain and simple, while the acts do not specify Wonderland (obviously) the sections of the act preventing me from disclosing are in themselves very specific as to the nature of them. This in itself would be enough for anyone with half a brain to work out what the reasons were, and therefore, I cannot say.

• 2 months later...