Anything new happening at MovieWorld?

Linus1995

Hey guys, have been lurking for a while just haven't been posting lately. Just wondering, is there anything new happening at MW in terms of big capital expenditure? New ride or something? Obviously if something has been announced I would probably already know about it, so I guess this is more of a what do you think MW should do next? I feel like its been a while since they have done something significant and something major for the adult market. Is it possible a new addition to the park has been delayed because of the Green Lantern accident?

Thanks guys! Good to be back :)

I think they should build a new tower ride inside the Superman Escape precinct and call it the "Doomsday Tower".

Seriously though - I think we've got a MW speculation thread... and as there has been no announcement there isn't anything 'happening'...

I'd like to see them re-do Western Stage - either open it up as a stunt show or performance venue with regular performances, or alternatively knock it out and start from scratch.

I'd also like to see them contemplate a woodie in the current 'dumping ground' behind show stage.

They also need to make something happen with Chinatown alley. That place is a mess, and it is also impeding traffic flow during peak times. There isn't really a way to get around the park during parade times. The old Arkham-Scooby laneway needs to reopen, if not the whole thing - just so people can cut around the masses.

Finally, Arkham's courtyard really needs something else done to it - even if it's only a small flat themed to something JL.

^Agree with all of that. Particularly the AA courtyard area. Walking through it yesterday, I forget how large of space that is, and how unused it is. The themeing was that space is good, it's a shame they haven't put a flat ride in the area where the original queue line was for Lethal Weapon. They could then reopen the alley way, theme it to the rest of the AA area and it would allow for much better flow through the park. I know it's currently used for staff access and the storage of some food carts, etc. but even if they reopened it for the public, I'm sure there would be room for storage.

You can partially see where the park store those food carts. The image also gives you an idea of the size of the AA courtyard:

image.thumb.jpg.077fbdd890d7456cf4fb7ef3

Another idea is that, the sound stage in the western area that only gets used got FN now, if they did install a ride on that site, or inside the building, couldn't a maze be put in the AA courtyard, they would just have to remove the old queue line. The old china town alley way could be used as a good scare zone, in my opinion. They would have to be install some sort of sheltering, in case it rained. But I feel like it would be much better use of spaces, particularly if MW want more space for rides. Just an idea.

Edited by themagician

I'd also like to see them contemplate a woodie in the current 'dumping ground' behind show stage.

I'm probably going to get some slack for going against the grain, but I would prefer a wonderfully executed mine train in that area. Rather than having the typical layout, something that has enough forces and air-time for mature riders while still being approachable for the younger guests. 

They also need to make something happen with Chinatown alley. That place is a mess, and it is also impeding traffic flow during peak times. There isn't really a way to get around the park during parade times. The old Arkham-Scooby laneway needs to reopen, if not the whole thing - just so people can cut around the masses.

When I went over the weekend, I had a peek at the new Chinatown gate. Sorry to burst the bubble, but it looks like a permanent addition. They could have easily executed a Gotham City alleyway in that area, as that would be a great transition between Main Street and Arkham Asylum IMHO. There's no excuse for why the Scooby-Arkham shortcut isn't open, though.

Another idea is that, the sound stage in the western area that only gets used got FN now, if they did install a ride on that site, or inside the building, couldn't a maze be put in the AA courtyard, they would just have to remove the old queue line. The old china town alley way could be used as a good scare zone, in my opinion. They would have to be install some sort of sheltering, in case it rained. But I feel like it would be much better use of spaces, particularly if MW want more space for rides. Just an idea.

This may be a bit stupid, but would it be possible that Movie World could make a series of "Multi-Purpose" rooms across the park to help with Fright Nights as well as other events? Think about it for a second, a perfectly sized indoor room that could be used as another maze location during FN, a children's activity centre during White Christmas, a food location or bar during Carnivale, then maybe a meet and greet or retail store during Summer. I then start to think that this may take up too much prime real estate in an already smaller park.

Edited by Zanstabar

The closure of the shortcut through the Chinatown alley is just another example of VRTP's cynical concept of significantly inconveniencing guests to ensure they pass F&B and retail outlets. I fail to see how uncomfortable, claustrophobic bottlenecks would put people in the right mindset for spending, but evidently a bean counter in a backroom has done the sums and decided it's worth pissing people off.

No reason why they can't just wheel out some carts into the Arkham courtyard and have the path open between Scooby and Arkham. If they are storing the carts in the alleyway then adding another gate so they can wheel them out to the Arkham area wouldn't be too hard. Guest flow through the park would be improved and they are still passing food and bev.

Honestly I just want to see them do something with that abandoned Wild West ghost town area. Drives me nuts every time I walk past it, so much wasted potential! I'd love to see a new western show go in the theater. I love the idea of a mine ride of some sort being added, would be perfect! Although they would need a fair bit of room for that (maybe the demolition of said theater lol).

As for Chinatown Alley, why not do the same as what Southport has with theirs? And also what Dreamworld did earlier in the year for their Chinese New Year celebrations.... Chinese & oriental food stalls and what not. That's if they decided to keep the existing theme, despite the related Lethal Weapon theme being retired.

^Agree with all of that. Particularly the AA courtyard area. Walking through it yesterday, I forget how large of space that is, and how unused it is. The themeing was that space is good, it's a shame they haven't put a flat ride in the area where the original queue line was for Lethal Weapon.

Totally agree. It has just become another large, abandoned area of the park you have to awkwardly walk through. MW definitely need to pull their finger out and do something with these opportunistic areas going to complete waste atm :/

Edited by OceanGirl

OG - chinese and oriental food stalls are a great idea if the area were to stay 'Chinese' themed...

but unfortunately there isn't really anywhere to put them - the Alleyway isn't really wide enough to have more than a food cart - and even then it would severely congest the area.

You need to remember that all those shopfronts in the alleyway are nothing more than facade - and there is more going on behind most of it than it would appear.

Likewise - the buildings bounding the Arkham courtyard contain the scooby and superman indoor sections. the only direction they can move is towards the Arkham queue (old LW theatre) and towards the Arkham Helix (old LW photo store). When you look at it that way, there isn't much room besides the actual courtyard area...

Is there a possibility of the exit path for Arkham to snake underneath the lift hill, do a 180 and come back towards the Superman plaza? That would free up the Chinatown courtyard from any other purposes, and it could be re-purposed to a food court. You could move Gotham Greasy Burgers around there, and it would let you rework that dining area into something useful, and it moves all the Batman theming closer together - having Gotham Cafe on Main Street doesn't really make sense thematically (to me anyway).

Wild West area really shouldn't start until you get to about the point of the forced perspective wall. This frees up the show stage, Intencity and the games plus Boot Hill and surrounds to become a new themed land. It makes no sense to step out of Scooby into abandoned town land, before you either return to Main Street or continue down to Wild West Town.

I'm not sure what sort of rides you could place in this new themed area, but the show stage plus the ghost town seems like a sizable parcel of land to do something with.

You could move Gotham Greasy Burgers around there,

Moving a fast food outlet is a $1 million job anywhere, and was redone about 3 years ago when they put in "Prime Burgers" and added the traffic light theming, so it would be a hard case to make

and it would let you rework that dining area into something useful

A dining area is useful though. People need to sit down to eat though, it's an inherent part of the overall capacity of any theme park (people on paths, people on rides, people in queues, people in shows, people dining etc) As much as it would be fun to cram in a ride there or whatever, anecdotally, it can be hard to find a seat at at busy times in MW (Note the people who plonk down on the fake grass in the main plaza for instance)

having Gotham Cafe on Main Street doesn't really make sense thematically (to me anyway).

It does however make sense from a guest flow perspective. A main food outlet out of view in an alley would get less passing trade. 

I imagine the theming harks back to when MW was really just main street and the branches to Young Einstiens and LTRR. Back then, there were no specific Batman or Superman rides, which is why you have a daily planet, and a gotham building in main street (along with other famous movie buildings like the Bonnie and Clyde bank) 

Edited by Gazza

In my perfect world, I would redo the Main Street of Movie World into a New York themed area, around the end of the Jazz age and the start of the Great Depression. This would allow the theming to reflect two major Warner Bros properties; The Great Gatsby and the Gangster films. I would change HSD into a stunt show themed around the Gangster genre.  As for the area around Scooby, I would re theme to match the New York setting (maybe Coney Island). This would also apply to Gotham City Cafe.

From a realistic perspective, this probably wouldn't happen. This would be a million plus dollar expansion, that wouldn't really draw in too many new guests to justify such a change. It would make me so happy to see the DC properties removed from Main Street, and to see some of the lesser properties shine. Gotham City Cafe is out of place and it does annoy me a lot, but unless the park can justify spending millions on fixing it then I just don't think it will happen.