All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Brad2912

New Roller-Coaster for Dreamworld

New rollercoaster for Gold Coast’s Dreamworld languishes in carpark as Ardent Leisure waits on Government funds A new $32 million rollercoaster tipped to lure millions of visitors as part of the city’s post-coronavirus recovery has been delivered. But construction won’t start anytime soon. A NEW $32 million rollercoaster tipped to lure millions of visitors as part of the city’s post-coronavirus recovery is languishing in a carpark because the State Government won’t cough up tens of millions of dollars promised in rescue packages. Dreamworld had planned to start construction this month of its unnamed rollercoaster manufactured by MACK Rides. It was pitched last August as a key plank in the iconic park’s turnaround strategy. It will be the first multi-launch rollercoaster in the southern hemisphere with a top speed of 105km/h. Instead of being built, 30 freight boxes of rollercoaster track are sitting in the Dreamworld carpark. They will be sent back to the freight company in Brisbane and stored. Another 60 boxes are still to be delivered. The delay comes as pressure mounts on the State Government to release part of a $50 million package for animal and theme park operators promised last month. The Bulletin also revealed yesterday that the parks were waiting for a slice of the $2.5 billion jobs and business rescue package promised in March. Village Roadshow, which owns Movie World and Sea World, and rival Ardent Leisure, which runs Dreamworld, are burning through up to $15 million and $10 million respectively each month, even after Federal Government subsidies are taken into account. The Bulletin reported yesterday the situation was becoming desperate with sources saying the money “could not come soon enough”. The State Government yesterday said talks were being finalised with the park operators. A decision is expected this week. Dreamworld chief strategy officer Paul Callender did not directly link the State ­Government funding to construction of the rollercoaster. He said the $10 million the park was losing each month from the Government-­mandated theme park closure would have been used to build the rollercoaster. “It certainly requires funding. Ten million dollars is being burnt each month so that money when we are talking, about $17 million of contractor works, would have gone back into our capital investment. “Certainly if we were trading that would have more than helped but funding is ­incredibly important at the moment.” Construction for the rollercoaster, when it starts, is expected to take up to nine months and employ more than 200 people. Dreamworld owner Ardent Leisure froze capital expenditure, including work for the rollercoaster, in March after it was forced to close the park over coronavirus health concerns. Since then it has been burning through $5 to $10 million cash each month. Dreamworld CEO John Osborne said it was disappointing to put the project on hold, however he remained confident it would be ready next year. “It is shovel ready and will be a real boost to local construction jobs and the tourism industry. We remain optimistic that we will be able to complete this world-class attraction in 2021 and continue to work with government to achieve a realistic opening date and funding.” Both Village Roadshow and Ardent have submitted COVID-safe plans to the State Government. They are being assessed. These plans would mean parks would be exempt from future limitations, including this week’s 20-person limit and 100-person limit in July. Village said it was in the process of finishing its Vortex rollercoaster, part of The New Atlantis Precinct at Sea World. Village COO Bikash Randhawa said the rollercoaster was 80 per cent finished with state certification to come and final work from ­engineers travelling from Germany. Mr Randhawa said those engineers needed special permission to enter the country. ————————————————— 2 points 1. why would they unload the track from the containers if they are going back to the freight company in Brisbane for storage? 2. Since when is Vortex a rollercoaster?
  3. Jay Jay The Jet Plane

I just wanted to say I apologise for reporting misinformation on the situation and thank you for your input with correcting me tonight with the full story, it’s been much appreciated and I have fully noted this for the future to maybe not jump on the gun too soon 👍🏻
  4. djrappa

Well you’ve heard wrong. Probably get a new source. The park themselves have said 2/3 of the ride is still in Germany.
  5. Jay Jay The Jet Plane

No fantasy life here Of course there’s always going to be delays in international shipping, especially times like this, during an global pandemic, I for one, had to wait two months extra from a package from China recently so I can definitely acknowledge it ain’t no sunshine and rainbow for international shipping unlike domestic for the most part. What I was meaning to say with what I posted above and will reflect now, I had heard very good reports, that all parts have indeed left Germany now and are either very close to arriving or have indeed arrived here in Australia. So you wouldn’t have to wait one month after supports arriving now for track to come in.
  6. I personally think the Rainbow Serpent archway looks pretty cool... to each their own I guess
  7. djrappa

Ha if you think there are no longer delays in international shipping then you are living a fantasy life. International shipping most definitely still has a lot of problems. (And that of course is only if the goods are even on a ship and not sitting in Germany)
  8. Jay Jay The Jet Plane

We are only in the 2nd day of the month and still got around 29 days left of the month so it’s way too early to make that call. As in terms of shipping from Germany to Australia. I think it’s safe to say at the moment there’s no more stagnant delays (where we faced a month delay of getting supports delivered then the next month, track being delivered) as there’s likely a very good chance, the rest of parts are sitting at the port awaiting to be picked up and shipped to Dreamworld. This should be done in the coming days/weeks
  9. Smol bean

There no way in hell there gonna start construction this month. There’s still more pieces to arrive and some are still probably being shipped from Germany to Australia. so that is why I said late July early august. if they do they can still open up Jan-feb 2021 which still a good time since it will still be school holidays.
  10. ATI

Something that I'm not sure has been noticed is that unlike the total Blue Fire clones, this coaster will only have a single station platform. Blue Fire is the only version that actually uses both but all the others still have it, besides this one. The most trains this could run is three, but two is most likely. An easy way to tell if this will only run two trains is if friction brakes are added to the end of the MCBR or not.
  11. Hummel Bruhmell

i would just like to point out that the animation shows a train on the brakes before the transfer so i really do believe this will have 3 trains. otherwise why would there be a train there? (wait i just looked at the animation it only has two trains)
  12. So hang on they're doing a snake thing likey they already did once that looked like shit with the a rainbow Serpent, at the same time SW is doing an abstract steel frame thing as the entrance to Atlantis precinct. Is fucking ANYONE trying any more?
  13. westical

Nostalgia at the Parks

None of them are as good as a ping pong ball that travels uphill. It’s a terrible list, I agree.
  14. @Dwfan awesome find and based off those sections I like to look of the station. Good to see rather than just a boxed building there is some aesthetic detail to it
  15. Going off recent drawings which were stumbled upon, I believe it is safe to assume the "Steel Taipan" name.
  16. Coasterlife

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think DCRH took about 4 months to build and it's 5 months or so till December so it may still have a chance on a December opening it just all depends on how dreamworld plans to have the groundworks under construction and if they will be constantly working on it for the next few months but it may open between Jan-Feb of the year 2021
  17. Smol bean

I gonna say sometime in late July early august. because as the dreamworld feb update said coaster parts were to arrive in may which is exactly what happened. and now track pieces are coming in quite quickly. So I say some time in the next month or so
  18. Prequel

Im curious, when can we expect them to start construction?
  19. djrappa

The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

I actually really like that.
  20. AlexB

Thanks mate! Nice clear numbers on the track pieces there too. Wish Skeet was around - As we know Rivals track numbering started from the station point and moved forward - I wonder how this one is numbered, given the reverse spike launch at the start, which one is 1 (probably station) but then how do the numbers go for the reverse spike section?
  21. Jay Jay The Jet Plane

And here’s my contribution from this morning too
  22. StingRay

True. We have not seen any construction equipment arrive. But if it did arrive they could have done of an evening by change. As you stated @AlexB that whole area is essential closed. So no major disruptions would occur. Maybe with all this track arriving, we might see earth moving equipment and the likes turn up by the weekend.
  23. AlexB

Site access isn't blocked during opening hours - all of the old goldrush, studios, blue lagoon and any other access point is freely accessible when the park is open, provided the train is either closed or incorporated into the construction crossovers. Crossing pieces over the driveway only needs a lollipop man for the time it takes the crane to cross over. What we need to look at is the fact that the pieces continue to arrive, and be unloaded, but seemingly without any groundworks taking place. I've not seen anyone post photos of groundwork machinery, footerings or collars being moved about... and if they're not doing that... then the assumed 'storage until later' plan appears to be correct... TLDR: whether the park is open or closed, construction wouldn't really be impacted.
  24. Jdude95

Yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to turn off "Aussie mode"
  25. StingRay

I'm not so sure @Gazza. I reckon it might. The longer that park stays closed the better its chances. Mean minimal disruption to day to day operation means they can freely move around the worksite. I would assume this indeed meaning taking some time off the total build time.
  26. The article points out a disparity between the colour and the supposed name. Did we ever get anything other than the trademark registration to point to 'steel taipan' ? is it possible this is the 'gold' coaster, and not the new theme for Cyclone?
  1. Load more activity