All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Oh I love that! It doesn't sound weird when he says 'Rides' in that version 😂
  3. webslave

COVID-19 & Theme Park Closures

The video is much better when it's sped up:
  4. $80 million after the refinance in April 2019 but down to $58 million as at 31 December 2019.
  5. Brad2912

Won’t happen (Fright Nights, too early to make a call on White Christmas) You can fountain me all you like @Jay Jay The Jet Plane but I’d like to see you explain how by next month (when they would have to seriously ramp up prep and construction of mazes to be ready for October) they would have certainty that NO social distancing regulations will exist anymore come October. it won’t happen 7000 people holding shoulders and in queue lines like cattle with a dozen people per 4sqm instead of 1 ? Zero chance.
  6. Today
  7. djrappa

I just find it really interesting that peoples opinions on the various parks seem to switch depending on whichever management pay them some mind. I remember a short time ago everyone was soooo PRO EVERYTHING Movie World did when Greg was there and gave enthusiasts a whole bunch of love, and Dreamworld was the shit park. Now magically one person has some negative FB comment with Bikash and all of a sudden everything Dreamworld do is golden and Village are apparently evil. They are a company that has legal obligation to its shareholders. The management has a responsibility to try and work with the government to get open and making money. Dreamworld are doing the same thing. And if anyone can tell me why the White Rhino Bar in Surfers can have 100 patrons from tomorrow but theme parks would be limited to 20? Why can Qantas now put 180 people next to each other on a plane for 3 hours, but a theatre can seat patrons for a show? Let's be honest, so many social distancing restrictions are being tossed aside right now all over the shop, why shouldn't the parks be working yo when they can reopen? Also last time I checked, having meetings and developing comprehensive COVID Safe plans with the government is hardly bullying.
  8. Jdude95

The snarky comment comes from them trying to bully the government to allow them to open even if it's not safe, so they can meet the higher value sale conditions that's currently on the table.
  9. RileyK

Australia needs another drop tower ride

@AlexB is spot on the money. The overhead shield installed on the gondola was part of a design registration risk solution in the event of a cable snap.
  10. there Is about 80m cash on hand post refi as at April . They have the cash for a little while but would be running a finer line if do discretionary construction spending whilst not operating . So prudent to hold off .
  11. djrappa

I'm from Sydney and only visited the parks for a holiday. I have a nostalgic/childhood/real memory of the Parks, not of a video logo. In fact I'd say most people (and so many still think this) Village Roadshow is an American company because that logo was on the front of every American feature they remember watching. So whilst a couple of argumentative experiences in this select forum might have more memory of a VHS tape than a theme park from being a child I WHOLE disagree that's the experience of most people from growing up. Id go so far to say as many kids thought of the Gold Coast as theme parks rather than beaches. I'd say it will be the one of Village Roadshow Theme Parks, and it's CEO Clark Kirby. Given that every statement about the offer states the company is keeping it's name and CEO I have no idea where that sort of snarky comment comes from.
  12. Jay Jay The Jet Plane

Fright Nights and White Christmas are being planned still as we speak Park will provide more information closer to the events commencement
  13. AlexB

New Roller-Coaster for Dreamworld

Is that the only source of this? your friend told you? no screenshots or anything like that? so we're telling Jay Jay - who also heard it from a friend of reliable repute that he's wrong, based on your friend of reliable repute? Appreciate the info, and keen to see where it all lands, but what we don't have is the park quoted saying 2/3 of the track is still in germany, and two items of hearsay that differ in their detail. I'm still on the fence. Neither has been proven right or wrong.
  14. aussienetman

New Roller-Coaster for Dreamworld

Yea I posted about it in this thread on the 21st of May. Probably got lost amongst all the speculation.
  15. No Australian debt facilities is correct. May 2016 revenue was only $6 million, so if the park is genuinely losing $5-10 million a month with significantly reduced costs during shutdown and the majority of wages covered by JobKeeper (there's say $1-2 million in costs) then insolency is what they deserve, pandemic or not. The three options to repair their balance sheet mooted by AFR and echoed by other investment reports suggests they can do three things: sale-and-leaseback (a la VRTP), sell a stake in Main Event or raise equity. We know with certainty that the first two have been on the cards and/or actively pursued by Ardent in recent times.
  16. Jdude95

I wonder what image the park will use when it's sold off in a few months time. Will Clark even still be around?
  17. AlexB

yeah ok, plus the summer nights at the drive in, or at the workers club, watching 'new' movies like crocodile dundee - that 'whooshing' sound. the village rake. I have far more associations with that logo as a kid than I do the parks. Sure, your associations are with the park directly, but the broader community outside of SEQ would have more association with Village Roadshow from movies, cinemas, and other ventures across the country, than just the parks. I'm not saying your perspective is wrong - just that it's different to mine (and it would seem, some others who have similar associations)
  18. Naazon

@joz Not saying they think they have ruined the parks but its super rare for anyone to out win a rose tinted view of what the parks were. I think its smart staying away from trading on that and instead using their recognisable logo and company name. Remember this is also an ad for Village Roadshow Theme Parks, not for Movieworld, Sea World, Wet N Wild or the other one. Yes, you're right, they totally need to find a better way to incorporate the 4 parks names/logos into the end screen. I'm no ad man and creativity isn't my strong point so I won't suggest what to do. I also do really appreciate these level headed discussions. Working from home is doing my head in.
  19. @Naazon I don't understand the argument you're making. Are you saying that Village internally are saying 'We've ruined the parks, let's not advertise them direct and ruin their good name'? I do agree that I'm sick of 'Unprecedented times' and 'In this together' though. @AlexB Why when advertising a fun filled day out would you make people nostalgic for a quiet rainy night in? Also I remember when videos used to have ads on them, I'm not mad at that, think it's a good idea, but remember how that ad made the place look exciting and mentioned the name of the ride and the park it was in rather than an ad for the company that owned the park?
  20. AlexB

I visited the GC parks for the first time when I was 12. I didn't visit again until I was an adult. My association with the park brands comes primarily from the home video market advertising the Wild Wild West Adventure Ride. But you know what nostalgic imagery and sounds conjures up vivid memories of a childhood spent at home on a quiet, cold winter's night watching the latest family movie? - This:
  21. themagician

I liked the video
  22. Naazon

That nostalgia only works if you were lucky enough to have a family who could afford to go take you to the parks as a kid. Additionally, hows that nostalgia trip working out for you? Pretty much everyone complains that "The parks were better back in the day" so that would be a negative advertising perspective. Better off using a nationally recognisable brand (albeit less in the spotlight for the last 10 years) that doesn't trade on 'the better days'. I'm not saying they have done a great job or there isn't more they can do, this ad to is a start. There is a long way to go to build an iconic ad. I'm also really really really happy they didn't say "we're in this together" or something about the "unprecedented times" Final point. Yes they don't say who he is, but he is a well dressed dude on top of the rollercoaster, and then talking directly to the camera talking with ownership over the parks, hes clearly "Someone important" and thats all the general public really cares about.
  23. djrappa

Just ask Disney how well the generic cross branding “Disney Parks” went for them... Whist I agree it’s a misstep to not highlight who Clark is to average joe, the image of the parks being owned (I know not technically, but I’m talking the mindset of customers here) but a young Gold Coast family with keeps will surely resonate much better with prospective customers than some rich old businessman from interstate. That’s a good move IMO.
  24. All of the above is pointless if you don't say who he is. Also when I was a kid I went to SW and WnW and MW. Guess what's waaaaay more nostalgic and iconic than a logo on a video.
  25. Yesterday
  26. Unless they were going shuttering Up the park that wouldn’t happen. if they went into administration Someone would Buy them on the cheap and the coaster would remain.
  27. Hmmmmm I wonder if Movie World could buy it from them and replace Arkham Asylum...
  28. Naazon

So my take, to me growing up in the 90's, a lot of the VHS I watched, started with the Village Roadshow V's flying in, so to me they are iconic and nostalgic. With time and a good marketing strategy Village Roadshow Themeparks as a common brand could work, but its a bit of a mouthful. The 6 syllables don't really roll off the tongue. Having Clark as the face of the company is a great idea though. Lets not forget generally speaking, Australia (and the world) is racist and hes white. Clark is also objectively speaking, not bad looking, and could speak clearly while still holding onto a strong Aussie accent, which helps international markets. I assume thats his family at the end? Makes sense for an ad like this and could work for other styles / targeted ads but not something I want Village to run into the ground.
  1. Load more activity