Adventure World Perth 'fat shaming'

DaptoFunlandGuy

I'm surprised this hasn't made it to Parkz yet, but I noticed this pop up yesterday.

Apparently Adventure World is now weighing riders (on dry rides) to determine whether riders can ride based on their weight, rather than height or ability for harnesses to close.

They've installed 'test scales' with 'big red and green lights' for guests to step onto to determine if they're under the weight limit before queuing 'to avoid disappointment'.
(sorry, I can't bring myself to spell it so poorly)

image.png.4584edfe7fc76cf3864e1cd81fc4b1c7.png

Only trouble is apparently the lights can be seen from across the park, and has been deemed to be somewhat insulting to guests.

Seven News Story on Facebook herehttps://fb.watch/8hcGR-2LvI/

image.png.42d6e9e3c71093f5ee4871888e09df47.png

Abyss has been said to be a 75kg limit, but they've clarified this is determined by the ride's "total capacity" of 600kg, divided by 8 seats. I've not heard of any other Eurofighter having the same stipulations, but even if they will allow heavier riders to ride - sending trains with empty seats in peak periods will hurt.

I've seen waterslides having scales more often these days - but it is somewhat understandable given the forces at play and the uncontrolled ride experience (Verruckt is a classic example of this), but i'm wondering - if an 8 seater roller coaster can't have more than 600kgs - just how close to the envelope are they running? And how out of business is Gerstlauer if this is true and imposed worldwide?

Open to thoughts on either this installation at Adventure World, or to the broader issue of rider weights being introduced on rides in general.

Also saw this discussion on facebook also https://www.facebook.com/Buggybuddys/posts/4765859780115082

• Like 1

So because I too much time and not enough to do, I went through the ride restrictions for the other 24 Euro Fighters in the World, including the incredibly named "Eurofigther" in Italy (Not a typo). The closest I could find to any form of restriction based on anything more than height was the following from Six Flags Over Georgia's Dare Devil Dive: "Due to the design of the seating & safety device on this ride, exceptionally large or tall people may not be able to ride."

There's no way this has come from Gertslauer and no way that ride can only take 600kg a cycle. Roller coasters have test seats not scales...

• Like 2

An indubitably shit way of going about enforcing weight restrictions. Given Rocky Rapids is no more than a glorified lazy river with a small drop, I have no clue how or why there is a weight limit on it let alone at 90kg (which is only 3kg clear of average male weight). Even more confusing is how a 12 million AUD roller coaster can't 'safely' cycle trains with a combined weight of 600KG (not enough to account for 8 average Australian adults), yet a gyro swing can cycle 100kg per seat. Unless the coaster is already somehow on its last legs (certainly runs like it is) and they're trying to increase its lifespan, i'm at a complete loss with it.

8 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

75kg???

that rules out probably 40% minimum of adult riders, probably more.

quite possibly the most stupid requirement I’ve heard of. 

I was keen to get to adventure world one day, I’ll strike it off the list. 

Rules out the average Australian male by 12 Kg

This is an odd one. In all my years of attending water parks and dry parks and working both, I have never known a dry park to impose so many new weight restrictions on dry rides.

The only one I think of straight of the top of my head would be Hair Raiser at LPS, It does have an individual weight limit of 136KGS. 

Something has gone wrong, the parks are either in court right now or about to get sued over something hence all the changes that have most likely occurred due to insurance reasons. No one in my eyes can blame Dreamworld for this as it's years on. Something ain't right at all.

This is going to give the park a bad reputation and it is going to take a long time to recover from. Yes, water rides have scaled these days and it is the normal thing to see now. But honestly, for a dry ride, I am completely confused. The 75kg "average" is also a joke. The average Australian male is over this "average" weight. 

They going to lose a lot of trade unless they got a magical marketing and engineering team that can change this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StingRay said:

This is an odd one. In all my years of attending water parks and dry parks and working both, I have never known a dry park to impose so many new weight restrictions on dry rides.

Something has gone wrong, the parks are either in court right now or about to get sued over something hence all the changes that have most likely occurred due to insurance reasons. No one in my eyes can blame Dreamworld for this as it's years on. Something ain't right at all.

It is very random for these restrictions to just be spontaneously imposed, especially when a few of the water rides have been operating for the best part of 40 years. You could be right, either the insurance situation has changed (possibly as a result of perceptions surrounding the fully six incident at WWW) or they're about to get sued and want to cover their asses going forward. I hate to sound cliche but the parks gone downhill since mark left. Minimal reinvestment, nothing to really entice teens or even children to return if they attended recently, poorly implemented park policies. Not good.

Memes aside. I've been to adventure world twice. Don't think I'll be keen to go again. From what I've heard there are other parks in Perth that are worth checking out. Abyss was fun but even when I went in 2017 it was rough as guts. Not really worth it. 

AW really hit an own goal here. With their border shut tight. They'd be skating on thin ice from now on. (Got more sports references where that came from)

Reading some comments on Facebook this evening and they’re really backed into a corner with this.

either they keep this system and these limits and they’re losing customers, or they revise the system and the limits and they admit it wasn’t manufacturer recommendation.

id love to know the rationale, especially hearing no other park does it?

Does no one understand average weight limit? 600kg divided by 8 = 75kg. It’s not a maximum weight limit.

Adventure World is doing fine without worrying about losing a few customers. Their platinum passes have already sold out and the premium passes aren’t too far away.

The park was surprisingly busy on its first day of operation despite the fact that the Perth Royal Show sold out that day and it was also the Grand Final.

3 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I’d like to know if season passholders we given a heads up about this when purchasing/renewing, or if they are entitled to a “sorry I’m too fat for your theme park” refund?

Those weight limits have been around for a couple of years, but not enforced. They have apparently offered season pass refunds to some. The details would have probably been on their website, but we didn’t know about the scales until we saw them. 

14 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Does no one understand average weight limit? 600kg divided by 8 = 75kg. It’s not a maximum weight limit.

Well actually, that is exactly what it is. 
because if I jump on the scales, showing everyone around that I’m too heavy, am I really going to get into the queue and then when I get to the front say “oh hey, you’ll need to put some skinny people on the ride with me because I’m over your limit” or “hey we’ll have to ride with 5 on this cycle”. 

It’s pathetic operations, and any business that has the ethos of “we’ll be just fine losing a few customers” is on a slippery slope to oblivion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It’s pathetic operations, and any business that has the ethos of “we’ll be just fine losing a few customers” is on a slippery slope to oblivion. 

Which business said that? I said that - they didn’t. I don’t even know if Abyss has scales. Outback Splash has scales and nobody said a peep. I have no idea why AW got scales - it could be for insurance purposes.

You can test yourself before getting in line. There are lights, but no sirens as some people claimed. It’s the same as Outback Splash’s system. 

Edited by iwerks

49 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Even if its averaged out at 75kg, on a per seat basis for a 'modern' coaster it just seems ridiculous. It makes no sense to have 8 seat cars that can't cater for 8 average people. How are they gonna run Fright Nights? Sorry you healthily weighted average Sized group of friends, please wait while we find 4 kids to join half of you guys?

56 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Adventure World is doing fine without worrying about losing a few customers. Their platinum passes have already sold out and the premium passes aren’t too far away.

What @Brad2912said about the business ethos thing. Perth is a pretty small town and in the Covid world they need all the local attendance they can get. Word of mouth spreads pretty quick, I've had multiple mates who wanted to go this weekend scrap it in favour of the royal show because they don't want to risk paying for rides they can't, well, ride.

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

i’d like to know if season passholders we given a heads up about this when purchasing/renewing, or if they are entitled to a “sorry I’m too fat for your theme park” refund?

You'd hope so. Expect a few refunds, or requests for compensatory food vouchers ;)

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I’d like to know if season passholders we given a heads up about this when purchasing/renewing, or if they are entitled to a “sorry I’m too fat for your theme park” refund?

Reading the comments, it sounds like several passholders were unaware of this change when they renewed, and after their first visit they attended to request (and they received) a refund on their passes.

7 hours ago, iwerks said:

The park was surprisingly busy on its first day of operation despite the fact that the Perth Royal Show sold out that day and it was also the Grand Final.

First of all, this wasn't how the park marketed the weights the first time around. They changed to average \ 600 total figures after initial backlash. It may have MEANT the same thing but it wasn't COMMUNICATED that way to begin with.

Regardless of how well they might be doing, the handling of this isn't going to help them going forward. Of course it was busy on day one of opening. I won't take the piss out of Perth's other offerings, but its day one. And of course passes have sold out - This pandemic has seen people with a lot of expendable income not be able to spend it elsewhere. Bali is possibly a big reason the passes sold out. *Possibly* But we'll never know.

Passes sold out BEFORE people knew about the weights and scales. I read a lot of comments of people talking about how dad \ teenage son \ other family member was over the slide limit and\or wouldn't stand on scales and they wouldn't buy passes \ would seek refunds. 

The amount of people supporting the park vs. complaining about it across the park's own page, media page and even just some rando who posted about it were very heavily against the park.

6 hours ago, Aw hype said:

Perth is a pretty small town and in the Covid world they need all the local attendance they can get.

For all we know that Covid world is going to last a lot longer for them too. 

6 hours ago, Aw hype said:

You'd hope so. Expect a few refunds, or requests for compensatory food vouchers ;)

Not sure a food voucher is the right thing to be offering someone who has been deemed too heavy to ride. Just seems wrong.

I think having weight limits on mechanical rides is stupid, you should be able to average it out.

As for slides. Well aqualoop at WnW has individual weighing and some raft slides have a set of scales at the boarding area.

But maybe they could have done a short little shelter so that the weighing process is more discreet.

image.thumb.png.5acbf7c97bdab5d1ffc77ca181c6228a.png

36 minutes ago, Gazza said:

But to be honest the train on a coaster should be able to weigh itself by measuring the power draw on the kicker wheels in the station, and throw up an error code if its overloaded.

It should but all coasters don’t do this.  For all we know the 650kg limit is because AW want to reduce maintenance cost.  Stopping a train and telling people to get off in front of everybody is just as embarrassing as flashing signs at the front of the queue.

The solution is to have an 8-person scale just before you load the train.  You keep loading people onto the scale unto you reach 8 people or the maximum weight the train can carry, whichever comes first.