Skyway Discussion

3 hours ago, Slick said:

Do you think the Skyway was bad? Feel free to elaborate.

For mine, I can't say Skyway was terrible - but I also can't say i've been on it more than once, mainly due to insanely long queues, mainly due to insanely crappy capacity and operations. 

Fixed gondolas, stopping the drive rope to loading and unloading, suspending guests in the middle of the course overhead the dolphin pools - all up it wasn't very good. A continuous load system - even one as old and cruddy as Wonderland's Skyrider would have been a better system simply because you can load as fast as guests can board.

I do think Sea World's system was bound to go, simply because they were open cabins in this modern safety conscious world. The view from the attraction was the main drawcard, and a replacement with improved operations and safety systems would be welcomed, but probably yawned at by the vast majority, hence why we've got three thrill rides in Atlantis without a replacement for our family log flume.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I can't say Skyway was terrible

In 2021 you can say it's terrible.  If SW was to announce a replica Skyway to build tomorrow, the only person that would be happy with it, would be Slick.  Same as Vikings Revenge, same as the Pirate Ship.   I don’t want to relive the 80’s over and over.

If SW was to build –

-          a modern Chairlift/gondola ✔️

-          a modern Flume ✔️

-          a modern Pirate Ship 

I would be more inclined to like it.

SW’s problem has been and always will be land.  You keep all the 80’s rides then SW has no room Generation Alpha rides.

The only part I believe Slick & I agree on is Sky Voyager Façade.    Whoever thought it was a good idea should hang their head in shame.  I still can’t believe not one person involved didn’t think the façade was a dumb idea.

17 minutes ago, New display name said:

In 2021 you can say it's terrible.  If SW was to announce a replica Skyway to build tomorrow, the only person that would be happy with it, would be Slick.  Same as Vikings Revenge, same as the Pirate Ship.   I don’t want to relive the 80’s over and over.

If SW was to build –

-          a modern Chairlift/gondola ✔️

-          a modern Flume ✔️

-          a modern Pirate Ship 

I would be more inclined to like it.

Why would they just build an identical version of a ride they closed? Of course when people are suggesting a log ride to be brought back to Sea World they are talking about a modern version not just reopening Viking's Revenge as is.

Viking's revenge was a favourite attraction that crossed demographics. I can assure you more than one person would be happy if it was brought back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Nobody said identical.  Them your words.

You're right. You said replica. Them your words.

noun

1. an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale.

Vikings made use of the land available at the time, and the castle. It was then integrated into Bermuda because it was already there and removing it was stupid. 

If Skyway was still standing in it's original install configuration, I couldn't call it terrible - it's better than no skyway at all. They've done zero worthy alterations to the land the skyway occupied. So skyway wasn't terrible. I wouldn't advocate for them to bring it back in the same configuration. Nor would I ask them to do that with Log Flume (although it has been said that the trough is most likely in reasonable condition and all it would need is new boats which is a damn sight cheaper than building a whole new log flume from scratch.)

Pirate was meh. it was good because it didn't invert and that let the more easily intimidated visitors give a swinging ship a try without worrying about the 'upside down' part like Bounty's revenge always had. I'd like for them to install a modern ride of similar experience - take a look at Luna Park Sydney's new lineup for some inspirations. 

Bottom line - if all three of those attractions still operated today in their 'of the time' configuration, I wouldn't be upset. None of their footprints have been taken over by any new installation, and they could coexist happily in the parks line-up which would, overall, improve a guest's experience simply by volume alone.

BUT since all of them HAVE been removed, they should bring a modern simile to the park that offers a similar ride type or experience, but with improvements or advancements on the tech of the 80s to keep current with today's trends and systems.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Nobody said identical.  Them your words. @MrLukeCarroll

2 hours ago, New display name said:

In 2021 you can say it's terrible.  If SW was to announce a replica Skyway to build tomorrow, the only person that would be happy with it, would be Slick.  Same as Vikings Revenge

6960D088-2F01-456A-8213-866E5D776271.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, New display name said:

Oh my god, can nobody read.  

If SW was to announce a replica Skyway to build tomorrow, the only person that would be happy with it, would be Slick.

Slick wants the replica,  NOT ME!

Please tell me in my original reply where I said you?

2 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

Why would they just build an identical version of a ride they closed? Of course when people are suggesting a log ride to be brought back to Sea World they are talking about a modern version not just reopening Viking's Revenge as is.

Viking's revenge was a favourite attraction that crossed demographics. I can assure you more than one person would be happy if it was brought back.

My reply is literally about you saying to build a replica only making one person happy, I refer to the more than that one person... My statement does not make sense if you assume I was talking about you and that being your opinion so why would that be the case.

Looks like we know who can't read or understand how conversation flow works...

4 minutes ago, New display name said:

It was a hypothetical regarding Slick never letting rides go.  I don't think SW will bring back the same thing.

Is that the only part of my post you read? The next sentence literally explains that I'm talking about people in general who ask for those rides to be "brought back" and what they generally mean by that (bring back a modern version of that ride)

• Like 1

This whole conversation started because of what Slick said.  Everything I said was in relation to what Slick said.

"Of course when people are suggesting a log ride to be brought back to Sea World they are talking about a modern version not just reopening Viking's Revenge as is".

I'm saying Slick would be happy if SW reinstated some old rides.

6 hours ago, New display name said:

Oh my god, can nobody read.  

"If SW was to announce a replica Skyway to build tomorrow, the only person that would be happy with it, would be Slick".

Slick wants the replica,  NOT ME!

I never said I wanted a replica, nor did I actually say the word replica at any point. You assumed my opinion in the previous thread purely because I enquired about your opinion in good faith. You've then used your assumed opinion as a defence. Ironically, you've gone on a rampage when folks have pointed out you actually said the thing you keep saying you didn't say, and shifted the goal posts to try and defend your stance. 

Sounds like you've got more of a problem with me than my opinion. That's fine, either way, i'd encourage everyone to better use their time by engaging in opinion not semantics and trying to understand and respect opinions instead of outright cutting other members down purely because you have a different opinion. Remember, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

I'd love to see the idea of a chairlift make a return. The views of the endeavour ship, the ski shows, the rides and the dolphin nursery were ace. As @New display name suggested, it'd be pretty silly to build a replica - it'd be like re-building the Thunderbolt in 2021 for some nostalgia wank-fest. I don't even know why anyone would think to build a replica - why rebuild old when you can build new stuff that's better?

The Pirate Ship was a great filler flat ride that families could enjoy together. Viking's Revenge was the same deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Would someone call Intamin and ask them if they're still doing Looping Starships?

They still do the Bounty model, and I believe that it can be configured like a Looping Starship??

15643440_Screenshot2021-10-07094402.thumb.png.daf106edb04318ea6d6ac281bdba6805.png

The last Looping Starship Intamin sold was back in 2006, and their website doesn't show the model so I'm assuming they aren't offering it anymore.