New ride over rivertown area

mark

Good thought Gazza, didn't Vekoma build the very first flying coaster called Batwing and Six Flags America?
Nah, The first flyer was Skytrak at Granada Studios, Vekomas first flyer was Stealth at PGA (now Borg Assimilator at PC). But to add more confusion, B&M were apparently working on their flyer back in 1998, but didnt build one till 2002. And Rich, In the fairly uneventful Australian industry, any news like ths is worth talking about, and maybe getting exited about, But I think this highly themed thing with indoor sections sounds very un DW when they could build an unthemed one, write a rhapsoding PR and it would still be a hit.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, while I'm still checking this information, the island in the middle of Dreamworld was originally not allowed to be used due to some sort of wildlife "thing" but recently I heard that it was lifted and the land was suitable for use again. Think the Island of the flying coaster. And also, insiders that are in just about every nook and cranny, have said that the maqcuarie leisure trust has taken out a phenomenal sum of money! I had said this a while back but wan't sure of the figure, but apparently it could be upwards of twenty million. But that's just what's in the grape vine at the moment.

I just finished reading an article in today's Herald which mentioned the rather large increase in Dreamworld's attendance and therefore profit. They mainly attributed this to Big Brother (as no new rides were added last financial year). I just hope that attendance increases even more this year with The Claw which will in turn encourage them to add more rides. Otrherwise, they might try to focus more on Big Brother and similar attractions rather than thrill rides
In that article, but in the Telegrapgh, they also mentioned about Tomb Raider and how muh of a sucsess it was & they would seriously think about dealing with them again. Can you see what i'm getting at here. They could put a TR ride on the island there, and to access you have to use the boat, and it would constantly run. They could also re-theme the area to Tomb Raider and open the show again.

Well, AIR cost the equivalent $30 million AUD so It could be a possibility, I hope this does happen, but Im not pinning my hopes too much on It. But who knows, they have been doing well and If they can throw something like TOT on us, the might eventually do It again. BTW Slick, how did DW take note of "the masters of the forum"?

More of a joke really than anything. Please no one get the comedy police on me.. :rolleyes: But for a while I've said to ride-ops and on this forum that "..Dreamworld, you should be taking notes!.." and an that after many a talk with some people inside the park and after explaining what exactly "B&M" is, we get this little beauty of info. So they took note. I still enjoy my idea of the hydraulicly launched B&M flyer, only thing is, you'd need another company to do the launch systems. And I don't know really who said this, but Dreamworld really doens't like Vekoma. Thw two most un-safest rides in the park and they're both made by the same manufacturer, go figure. But an interesting thing would be that Intamin could be a host for a flying coaster, odd track design, but interesting. And given that Dreamworld has a nice track record with Intamin AG, why not? Well apart from the failing harnesses and that medal scrapings incident on TTD and...... keeps rumbling on for another hour or so....

Did I say "should intamin, seeming they make great flying coasters, make one for dreamworld?" No. I said they should be a host for a new type of flying coaster, given the launch idea. And who ever said prototypes are unreliable? Sure X was, but what about Xcelerator and TOT? Both are Intamin and are quite excellent rides considering they were both the test dummies for new technologies in the industry, plus they're both Intamin.

I have to say the flyer in PCW looks pretty tame to me, and as kennykoala said "it looks like a traveling carnival ride". Bring on the real stuff!! I want to see something like Air at Alton Towers. Big lift hill, awesome banked first drop over the water...... That would be sooooo good! In all it would be more crowd efficient. Screammachine

Paul i don't think they can have a coaster based on the island if the only method of transport to the island is a boat. what if it breaks down? the lose a coaster as well as a transport ride. they would need to bridge it, or do it the way Disney does in LA - they have small "log rafts" with inboard boat motors underneath. Now a bridge doesnt require any cast members to attend it, which means a more free-flowing traffic to the island. a floating transport system is slower, and not as reliable as a plain old bridge. i think if they redeveloped the island, kept its outward appearance to suit rivertown and sturt, but inside - create a whole new world... have the coaster as the main draw card but also set up concessions, and a few other flats or (as has been discussed lately) a simulator ride or something. what do you think?

I'v been told the key to the whole island idea is that the captain sturt may no longer run as it currently does. Instead a bridge would run across to the island much like the bridge across albert park during the grand prix (a floating bridge, to achieve that rickety - amazonian type feel. Derelict bridge). If the captain sturt kept operating then they could not achive low flyovers close to the water as the sturt is quite high and would cause to many implications for the coaster layout. Besides The sturt has been droping in popularity, they might moore it over near model t lane and convert into a restraunt - due to a lack in that area for food?). Or just get rid of it alltogether. Slick, your right the wildlife issues are no longer a problem on the island it has all been rezoned, that was all part of the deal when they started to redevelop the wildlife area. Nebuchanezzar, been told they Zamperla will definatly not be involved (thank god, it sucks) they have not even opend the tender to them. They wont tell me who they have opend it to. But as soon as I mentioned B&M and Vekoma, he said he could not tell me anything, (funny that considering he just told me it definatly wont be Zamperla). I should be nice he is a good mate - and if he says to much could get in a load of s*#t

Tomb Raider was a big success? What's wrong with the Australian public when a theme park WALK-THRU attraction turns out to be so popular? The success of The Claw better be even bigger otherwise I just don't get it
Even though that TR walkthrough was the scariest thing in my life, I quite enjoyed it, and it was awesome! As for this flyer.. Why do they have to put it in Rivertown? That place is so peaceful and quiet (besides the regular passings of ToT), can't DW have a place where people can rest without the sounds of screams, fast moving rollercoasters & the general public?