New ride over rivertown area

mark

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newest Vekoma SLC is Gauntlet at Magic Springs and Crystal Falls, built this year at a cost of $7m according to RCDB. The two newest B&M Inverted coasters with cost information available at RCDB are the forthcoming Silver Bullet at Knott's ($16m) and Talon at Dorney Park ($13m). Both of these rides are a good 300m or so longer than the SLC, both would induce significantly larger construction costs because of the scope of these projects and their integration into existing areas of parks. Both are custom designed. Meanwhile Magic Springs' SLC isn't custom designed - it's one of about 30 - so R&D and design costs incurred Vekoma would be insignificant at best. Now comes long-term costs. It's no deep secret that Vekoma coasters cost more to operate smoothly in the long run. Unfortunately most parks aren't willing to go as far as they could to keep the rides in order. See Lethal Weapon for an example of this. Most of the year there's one train in parts being worked on. When it's finished they take the other one off, usually trying to get them both running for peak periods. It wasn't that long ago that both were consistently operating, even during the low periods. Even Six Flags manage to keep their B&Ms running smoothly, so seemingly not much needs to be done. Case closed. In case you're after yet another argument, Vekoma fabricate in Europe and ship parts. B&M subcontract to "local" suppliers. Why do you think Lethal Weapon cost $16m, whereas its American counterparts cost half that (and less at the time of its construction)? On that same token, why was Luna Park's Big Dipper cost almost on par with other installations by Arrow in America around the same time? Just a coincidence that Arrow subcontracted fabrication to local companies? In short the cost of one manufacturer over another is getting ever closer. Why any park would go with Vekoma for their "older" concepts is beyond me (outside of package deals).

Well, Im pretty sure we wont use a double station or have any tunnels so that could save some money, plus it probably wont use three trains so thats even more off, It could be possible. Plus maquarrie is doing well, If the claw does well, then that would encourage them a bit? On the topic of flyers, which one had the most problems, the Vekoma or the B&M? and how long did they last for? Also joz, what can you tell us about AIR from your ride? is it all its cracked up to be? would it be good for DW? and how does that "restaining vest" work? does it zip up to hold you in? As for B&M being more expenisive than Vekoma, Its the same reason a BMW costs more than a Hyundai

AIR is what I'd call a solid experience. Not the best, but still very good, and instantly re-rideable with a fair capacity, and near universal appeal. Kinda like Cali. Screamin' at DCA, in that its not the best, but its still very worth the effort. IMHO its underrated. True its not the best themed, but it is still quite well landscaped, making it a rather pleasant area. The restraints are comfortable, and aren't too restrictive (They are restrictive, but I'd hardly say that's a bad thing since they have to fight gravity to keep you in your seat). You board just like an invert, and when you pull the restraint down, your ankles are grasped by leg restraints (which you don't even realise until after the fact). The vest is just a part of the restraint which you pull down. As for would it suit DW? Well, I can't see it working all that great as a tomb raider theme. The most inappropriate theme possible for that style ride. As a ride on the Island? Yeah, I can see that working. Put in a whole bunch of tunnels, close calls and your cooking.

*makes wipping noise* There is also one very, very huge adjustment coming to the park soon. This will change your perception about one of the coasters at the park. Seriously, I this is just in and personally I thought this will be utterly fantastic. But you guys will find out soon enough.

Oh great yet another person to add the the list with 'inside sources' but wants to feel special by keeping info from the group. Answer me this Slick, if it were sooo secretive and protected information do you REALLY think anyone would make you aware of it?? Come on guys, this is my one pet hate, if you've got something to share then do it, if you don't then just shut the hell up. Most of us grew out of the 'I know something you don't know' games long ago!

Let's say there are three rumours being speculated in order that could be true, and to make it easy, they're in order from most likely to least likely. 1)There will be something big happening to the pod that will change the ride of TOT completely (that's all I can say, sorry again) 2)The Tower's servers and computer systems will be upgraded, so the electrical fluxes are more responsive to the pod's movement therefore hitting the ORIGINAL height on the tower. 3) The whole tower will be getting another section put on for GD and other TOT extensions. This is actually pretty true, but currently this more to the story than that.

Let's say there are three rumours being speculated that could be true. 1)There will be something big happening to the pod that will change the ride of TOT completely (that's all I can say, sorry again) 2)The Tower's servers and computer systems will be upgraded, so the electrical fluxes are more responsive to the pod's movement therefore hitting the ORIGINAL height on the tower. 3) The Tower itself and TOT will be getting major upgrades