New ride over rivertown area

mark

A mate of mine works at Mcquarie bank and told me the next big project they are working on will not be a replacement for the thunderbolt (as many people have been guessing). but in fact it will be a new flying coaster ( a first for australia, keeping with their tradition) positioned over the murrysippi, rivertown area, with its supporting structures coming out of the water. Has anyone else heard anything else about this. He also said that they are currently going over themeing ideas, one that they are considering is Lara Croft - amazon something adventure...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this does make me very excited. A new rollercoaster that is unique and special (cyclone doesn't count). Let's hope that it's something with multiple trains as Dreamworld really does need something than can vacuum the crowds. You remember those lifts in the TOT queue line when the skull was originally over at Village Oval? They were also stopped because it would require another deck hand to operate them, great work on ruining the theme Dreamworld. Just because you're building new rides doesn't mean you STOP MAKING NOTES!!!!

Slick, can you contain your bizarre rambling's to one post? What the hell does this have to do with ToT's lifts??? It wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at adding a new ride over there, but there's always that many projects going on at once that its a bit hard to tell which ones will make it through. Still, a flyer themed to Tomb Raider, sounds a bit like Paramount Canada's Wonderland's new ride. Hopefully if DW does go down the flyer path they can do better then slapping a prebuilt design down in a totally inappropriate area with a tacky theme.

Lara croft: Tomb raider, it probably would be the zamperla volare like at PCW. Here is a pic of what we could be getting: http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery251....htm?Picture=10 I think the ride layout looks nice but apparently the ride has bad headbanging, but maybe that is just what people in the US/Canada think becasue they have been softened by the abundance of B&Ms so that all rides seem rough. Still, If it is true then it will be a good additon becasue flyers are a unique ride that will wow the GP. BTW what do you mean by rent being up 33%? Do DW rent the property they are on? I think Tomb Raider will go perfectly with rivertown :rolleyes: .

I don't think that there's much untruth or stretching of the truth with Americans complaining about roughness or headbanging. Certainly with steel coasters, they're generally right when they say something is rough (I did think Revolution was smoother than most say), though they tend to be a bit soft on wooden coasters. The Zamperla Volare really doesn't look fun. One person at CoasterBuzz said it's the first coaster they've ridden with "throat bashing", which by looking at the design of the trains, doesn't seem too far off. To put it simply, rent is the profit that Dreamworld as its own entity makes. Think of it as being 33% more profitable.

I just finished reading an article in today's Herald which mentioned the rather large increase in Dreamworld's attendance and therefore profit. They mainly attributed this to Big Brother (as no new rides were added last financial year). I just hope that attendance increases even more this year with The Claw which will in turn encourage them to add more rides. Otrherwise, they might try to focus more on Big Brother and similar attractions rather than thrill rides

That coaster in the pic looks quite crap, it looks just like a carnival version. If we are going to get a flying coaster lets make it a REAL ONE!!!! LIKE the superman ones at six flags parks!!! Ill do some asking at the park on the weekend Also i forgot to mention, apparently BOB (head of rides and engineering) is going over seas in the next week or so to check out rides which may come to dreamworld. I was told it was to the USA.

Kenny, I agree the coaster in that pic doesn't look to good at all. Like you said, it looks like a ride at your local carnival or one of those transportable rides that would fit it well at the Royal Melbourne show for example. At this moment this is all rumours but then again what we have seen is all pointing in the right direction.

I did some more asking around, aparently it will be more like the Superman flight coasters, with two trains running simeltaneously to boost the capacity. Also It will be heavily themed (huge budget) with alot of water usage, and even some indoor sections... the zamperla volare is crap - especially the tomb raider one, you guys are right it does look like a carnival ride. DW will not be using anything like that. They already have a crap looking coaster - alah cyclone (sorry fans of the cyclone, but it does look kinda ****ty). I will not be suprised at all if the pull a B&M on us. Think along the lines of "AIR" at Alton Towers people, or superman ultimate flight (http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery197....htm?Picture=59)

Good point Gazza, could be like the batwing at six flags america (http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery108....htm?Picture=13). Vekoma could be a possiblitie. P.S. good point also Richard, but my friend at Mcquarie also told me about the gyro swing (the claw) about 5 months befor the press release. Not that you guys (and gals) are interested in flat rides

I think before Dreamworld gets a crappy looking flying coaster (like Paramount has just done... and made it even worse with unrelated theming), they first need to get a REAL roller coaster. Something simple and something very large. We need a mammoth lift hill. After they install this they can then look at various alternative coaster options such as flyers. This would definitely reduce the need to add 2 trains to Cyclone as it would become more of a filler attraction

Can I just add to my last post by saying that if Dreamworld was to add any type of decent new coaster I'd be happy overall. I always like to have a bit of a whinge if I can, but if Dreamworld does dive straight into the coaster variations and goes with a B&M flyer next up... I can't say I'd be too upset

I did some more asking around, aparently it will be more like the Superman flight coasters, with two trains running simeltaneously to boost the capacity. Also It will be heavily themed (huge budget) with alot of water usage, and even some indoor sections... the zamperla volare is crap - especially the tomb raider one, you guys are right it does look like a carnival ride. DW will not be using anything like that. They already have a crap looking coaster - alah cyclone (sorry fans of the cyclone, but it does look kinda ****ty). I will not be suprised at all if the pull a B&M on us. Think along the lines of "AIR" at Alton Towers people, or superman ultimate flight (http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery197....htm?Picture=59)