Ned Kelley's Getaway

Jaggie

If you ride the Ampol cars (If you can waste some of your time) you can see the wooden structure that held the slides up. There were 2 slides, cream in colour. Guest would need to walk up the stairs to the very top holding very heavy plastic boards. This was the only ride I never went on at Wonderland as there was a massive over hang and made it look very steep. The slide ended not in a pool but fake plastic grass with a small amount of water. The grass would easly graze legs and arms if you were to fall off the board at the end. I also heard that someone was killed on the Wizards Fury.

Ohh! I've been wondering what that old wooden structure was. In fact, last time I was there, I said that I thought it looked like it was once for slides, because of the way the top was set up. That's cool to know now. :) I think they took Wizard's Fury away for no reason other than it was old, parts were presumably hard to get. It is sad too, because it was one of Austrlaia's only Schwarzkopf rides (Turbo Mountain at Adventure World in WA is the only other I believe). It, along with rides like Zodiac, and many others, came from Paramount's Kings Island when the park opened, so many of these are 30+ years old.

Yes, I heard that someone had reached up and grabed hold of the house structure the train travelled through, but you know these urban miths go around. How many times have you heard the Bounty's Revenge has been stuck upside down....... Anyway back to Wizards fury and another point, just before it closed it had a very bad paint job. Each car was painted a different colour and it looked as if the employes did it in thier spare time. It was awful. I loved the dark navy colour it used to be. This ride was also the very first fast ride I went on when I was younger. PS. I hate the zodiac's paint job aswell. It was much better with the stars and the clouds that faded to night. Anyway why complain, I should be happy I even have a theme park of that size in my city.

I believe overhang means that you can't see the bottom of the drop because the hill tucks into itself. I did see Ned Kelley's getaway in operation and it was not a straight droop. The hill sort of curved inwards. I sure thrillseekers who ran fast onto the slide would of got some air time as they went down the drop.

• 3 weeks later...

Ned Kelly's was indeed a twin flumed taboggon ride very similar to the Double Screamer at Wet n Wild. However where the Double Screamer has a pool landing Wonderland's landing was much more like that of Seaworlds ride with a shallow trough lined with astroturf as previously mentioned. As also said it was located adjacent to the Ampol cars in Goldrush. One very silly rule for this ride was that riders were required to ride FULLY CLOTHED as this was a dress code for that part of the park at the time. This did tend to make it quite unpopular and I'd guess that this factor along with the safety aspect led to its closure. ...either that of it was just a day ending with a 'y' so wonderland had to remove another ride :)

• 2 months later...

HEy guys who know some wonderland history , sad but true the twin screamer is gone but not forgotten i was lucky enough to ride the ned kelly getaway : Yes you climbed the tower carrying your plastic board but heavy it wasnt You sat on the board with a slipgate infront of you .... no sign of the track bellow due to it being very steep , no overhang just the illussion of one , the gate opened and you dropped almost straight down with some cool airtime only to reconnect with the track just before the ground and skimmed along the narrow astro turf channel and exited the ride where the sawmill theatre now stands. Walking around the back of the amusement arcade you can see the channels now filled with sand. The ride was removed for safety reasons , too many people were not following operators instructions and recieved broken arms or legs by hitting the ground after the free fall

Guest boycotta

there were many wonderland rides. my favourite when i was little was a ride it was black and it was similar to the tumble bug located at luna park sydeny.

Sorry Boycotta I do not remember any such ride at Wonderland. If it was there it couldnt have been there long. Where abouts was it located and what time frame are we talking? Anyone else remember this particular ride?? As an aside i love The Tumblebug at Luna. Good to see they are still retaining this one!! cheers Jobe

All I remember is a 'Spider' type ride which might have been what it is called that was originaly located where the Endevour is today. The endevour used to be called 'Sea Deamon' and was located close to the entrance along the path that originaly lead to Hanna Barbera land before the whole Wildlife thing came about... The first day I got to the park and SD was gone we asked an Op and were told it had been removed. Imagine my surprise to find it in a nifty new home down in Goldrush only a few hours later :-D

It was called Judy Jetsons' Jetliners. They were little orange space cars that went up and down around a circular track. It was near Scooby's Silly Stix (which was a big building with slides and climbing ladders...) and near that Theater which had puppet shows and was themed like a tree. Opposite of that was the Hanna Barbera All Starts Paddle Boat Racers. The cars used to be visible from the Zodiac and used to sit behind the shops in old Hanna Barbera Land.

Hmm, all I remember is this jetsons ride that was located somewhere near Fred Flinstones Splashdown. Was that the tumblebug ride? ~Flea

• 1 month later...

There was also a serious stabbing at Wonderland... I thought this resulted in a fatality but I'm not totally sure. I believe it happened in the car park. The toddler drowning at The Beach was fairly well publicised at the time. I know of plenty of other incidents too... not sure about fatalities though.