Stand up coasters.

Coasterjoe

Not sure if this is a topic that has been discussed before but ive always liked the idea of a standup coaster. General consensus I have found is the majority of enthusiasts dont like them. Certain rides like riddlers revenge at six flags mm look great. Just wondering who here is actually a fan of the concept? Do you think its a concept we will see incorporated into modern coasters or will it be stuck in the 80s/90s. Is the thrill of standing worth the discomfort? Imagine a standing giga... 

Keen to know your thoughts.

I thought Riddlers at Magic Mountain was a lot of fun, but yeah you have to get the restraint positioned right so theres that moment of worry in the station trying to stand in the right way when the restraint tightens. Thing is not everyone knows the best way to approach the restraints, especially if they aren't an Enthusiast and haven't read aboout/seen/ridden them before and know the best way.

4 minutes ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

I thought Riddlers at Magic Mountain was a lot of fun, but yeah you have to get the restraint positioned right so theres that moment of worry in the station trying to stand in the right way when the restraint tightens. Thing is not everyone knows the best way to approach the restraints, especially if they aren't an Enthusiast and haven't read aboout/seen/ridden them before and know the best way.

Huh, I would have thought the enthusiasts would have been the stupid people, not the general public

ive had the chance to ride a few stand ups and I could take them or leave them, Agree with the other comments you need to have the restraints in the right spot and hold it there till it locks in position. Apart from the first moment of "hey I'm standing up" it gets old pretty quick, i'd way rather a flying, inverted or woodie to go on, 

If you haven't done one then its worth doing one if your there, but if your planning to go to SFMM you go for twisted colossus and X2 and if there's time do Riddlers Revenge which is my favourite stand up 

For me, if I need to know a special 'way' to hold the restraint, and it doesn't come with those instructions in a plain, clear way that everyone riding can get it right first time, then it's too complicated and shouldn't exist. 

I agree with some of the other sentiments. It's a cool gimmick when you see it, but it gets old real quick, and the ride experience isn't really anything to write home about.

I've ridden 2 stand-up coasters, both B&Ms and I enjoyed both.

Riddler's at SFMM was amazing and I absolutely loved it. It was one of my "Most Want to Ride" coasters when I made my first big trip to the USA.

The other was Mantis at CP before they converted it to Rougarou. Having ridden it as both a stand-up and a floorless I can easily say that it was far far superior as a stand-up. When I rode it as a floorless it was horrible and I only rode it once the whole 4 days I spent at CP.

I found stand-ups the most comfortable if I slightly squatted prior to the saddle locking in place, definitely helped protect sensitive areas from being slammed into the saddle seat :) 

The backrest is spring loaded and naturally tries to rise to the highest position (like pulling a lever to lift an office chair) so if you just let it rise it will lock in the highest position and give you a wedgie.

I think people who let that happen are the ones who dislike stand ups.

But if you hold it at a comfortable level until it locks, its fine.

I think they are great to be honest.

Edited by Gazza

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

The backrest is spring loaded and naturally tries to rise to the highest position (like pulling a lever to lift an office chair) so if you just let it rise it will lock in the highest position and give you a wedgie.

I think people who let that happen are the ones who dislike stand ups.

But if you hold it at a comfortable level until it locks, its fine.

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

if I need to know a special 'way' to hold the restraint, and it doesn't come with those instructions in a plain, clear way that everyone riding can get it right first time, then it's too complicated and shouldn't exist. 

So i'd like to expand on my previous point and talk about another coaster that is really fun. Its a very enjoyable layout and a great ride, but lots of people complain about it being uncomfortable to ride and they're stupid! Those people just don't realise they need to hold their head against the restraint in a specific way and brace against it for the entire ride to avoid headbanging on the large oversized original restraints. If they do that, it's fine!

- Vekoma SLC.

If there's a special way to do up a restraint, that is not intuitive, and requires a secret club, then its shit. Period. in my opinion.

Well yeah, its kind of like if you want the thrill of a stand up coaster you have to take a bit more responsibility than just sitting down and closing a bar.

It's an inherent part of the experience, just the same as if you do a ropes course and wear the harness uncomfortably.

Edited by Gazza

It really is.  I think on most rides in general people note the positioning of the restraints on their first ride through and will adjust them the next time for a more comfortable ride (unless you get lucky the first time around).  It's not to say that a stand-up is bad if you don't take care with the restraints, but your ride experience can be significantly enhanced if you do.

The restraint systems are easy if you read the instructions (at least on my rides), but the load time takes ages because not everyone gets it, and the checking was a lot more involved which wasn't an issue until you are standing at the end of the ride waiting for the load station to clear.

I really enjoyed the experience on the ride itself, doing a loop while standing is a unique experience, but the load and unload ruins it a little for me.

18 hours ago, Gazza said:

Well yeah, its kind of like if you want the thrill of a stand up coaster you have to take a bit more responsibility than just sitting down and closing a bar.

It's an inherent part of the experience, just the same as if you do a ropes course and wear the harness uncomfortably.

... and like i said - that's fine, if its clearly explained to all riders in a format that is simple to grasp and easy to communicate to everyone. 

If its a secret knack, then its fucked. Is there clear signage in the load station telling riders this? So far nobody has offered that up by way of explanation, so I can only assume there isn't. 

On a ropes course, if its uncomfortable - you can stop and adjust or ask the staff to assist you in adjusting (good staff will know the tricks and will assist you to put it on correctly too - something load crews probably don't have time for on a coaster, so this isn't really a great comparison either.

9 minutes ago, gauge said:

I find you can swat down and push the seat down before the restraint comes down and be nearly in a seating position if you want to on all the standing coasters i have ridden.

So, the best way to ride a standup coaster is to.... sit?

Let's also not forget for some guests it's not physically easy for them to hold that perfect position while a restraint locks. I've got a close friend who hates stand-up coasters because he has a physical disability that makes it difficult for him to hold that dream position we're talking about with stand-up coasters.

Let's be careful we aren't being ableist when saying how easy something is, or insulting people who can't do it.