Sea World's dormant beast: up close with the Leviathan wooden roller coaster

Parkz News

Wow incredible pictures! 

I cannot wait for the whole experience. The queue line looks to be one of the best located queues I’ve seen. The ride itself looks to be sharp & seems to have a ton of airtime moments. 

The most noticeable thing about this article is that they are keeping the theming under wraps, which to me sounds like it’s going to be awesome. 

I have high hopes that this will be a whole experience, from entering the queue line until exiting the ride. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, New display name said:

What is the lifespan of Leviathan compared to Steel Taipan?

As long as SW want it to. Wooden coasters constantly need timber replaced and is comparably way cheaper and simpler to retrack segments or replace ledgers than when compared to steel coasters which need specific track/support replacement fabricator and such and such, it will be only a matter of time before Leviathan's layout ends up as a ship of theseus. Leviathan is quite overbuilt structure wise as well compared to something like let's say Bush Beast which will help against the weather.

Edited by Baconjack

Much appreciated update!!!! Thanks heaps @Richard. This cleared up a few questions & concerns I had with Leviathan.

Is it fair to still be cautious regarding the level of theming. I'm trying not to set expectations. I was at opening day for Scooby Doo Next Generation and was left with disappointment from the overall experience. It was completely underwhelming as it had so much hype and we (the general public) were promised "world's best" 

4 hours ago, fletch said:

mainly cause I need to renew my pass now

Tight-arse 🤣😂🍑 

Edited by TomiJ

Its actually a damn fine looking coaster, thanks so much for the update! Gutted you cant enter 'the cathedral" would have been amazing if they somehow encorporated it into the que. It looks like there will be some ok airtime moments, and some good lateral G moments too, some of those banks look like crazy good fun. Im also amazed at how much track they managed to get into a relatively small area for a Woody. 

Great to see SW getting some much needed love in the rides department, cant wait to ride this! 

15 hours ago, xRazzBerryx said:

The most noticeable thing about this article is that they are keeping the theming under wraps, which to me sounds like it’s going to be awesome. 

Could be really pessimistic but I took that as they saw the negative feedback from Vortex and decided to hold off and work more on theming / landscaping and have to wait until the next budget release.

15 hours ago, Slick said:

Bloody brilliant update there @Richard 

I think it's the first time the trains have been seen, no? Really digging the custom paint job - if there's one thing we do well in Australia, it's sexy roller-coaster trains.

Still no view of the front of train, but kinda understandable. They want to keep some secrets.

You can't deny that Leviathan ain't a fine looking coaster. Cheers for the update @Richard. Love the pictures. 

11 hours ago, joz said:

Yeah I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach too with themeing.

Agreed. If they're saying that things are closer to their final renditions then I think it'll look nice and well presented. From what I can gather based off the very limited concept we've gotten it seems that they're wanting to fill the gaps in the slab with greenery and that the queue will take you through some sort of rockwork tunnel into an outdoor area which gives you a view of the coaster. Where it goes from there I can't really tell.

Beyond the attractions it seems that the majority of theming for the land will be greenery and the blue rib structures that we've seen constructed near Vortex. Also the existence of these renders means that somewhere, out there, is a 3D model of Sea World and I want it. 

image.thumb.png.6ebed02bb5c98eca1fb70adf83473bc8.png

image.thumb.png.44bf5606c9e2ea205037bed4fa8b2b11.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Could be really pessimistic but I took that as they saw the negative feedback from Vortex and decided to hold off and work more on theming / landscaping and have to wait until the next budget release.

Possibly yes. If waiting an extra 4-6 months means we get better theming, I’m all for it. 

34 minutes ago, Dom said:

image.thumb.png.44bf5606c9e2ea205037bed4fa8b2b11.png

Looking at this again, it appears that the roof/queue shelter slopes down in the centre, which could be creating a central waterfall, which would be awesome. Like this on a much smaller scale.

34351EFF-E119-4559-A5D6-94565B150837.thumb.jpeg.99934bac68023978efc1666d8ad93b5a.jpeg

I think the key to the theming will be waterfalls, rockwork, statues and landscaping. If they can get as much as that as possible throughout the rest of the area, it should be a nicely themed area.

The way the ‘story’ could be interrupted is Vortex is at the shoreline (which is why there is a sand look floor as you enter the area) and then as you venture further into the area, you get deeper into the New Atlantis and Leviathan is the monster at the bottom of the ocean.

14 hours ago, Baconjack said:

As long as SW want it to. 

That can go for steel coasters

TOT closed by DW while 6 Flags continue to run Superman.

Mack has been around for hundreds of years so it wouldn't be unimaginable for Mack to support ST as long as DW wants them to.

It might be expensive to replace a whole section of steel track at one time but wooden coasters are maintenance heavy and most parks that run them have dedicated staff to maintain them.

13 hours ago, joz said:

Yeah I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach too with themeing. I'm a bit more pumped for it than I've been in the past though. I suspect when I actually ride it I still won't know what the layout is which will hopefully make for a better first few rides.

Yeah, this is one of the few coasters in aus that i feel like i cant draw the layout from memory.

• Like 1