Movie world Maintenance 2022

Smol bean

On 05/01/2022 at 11:49 AM, rappa said:

Well could also be (now this is purely speculation mind you) that you have a trained supervisor go down with covid scare, and you don’t have anyone else trained in that role available to fill the shift. 

The complexity of the attractions (from a training prospective) could also see this very similar situation impacting the cast member skill for some of the more complex attractions also. Given the current state of the coasts hospitality industry Im sure its not an unreasonable assumption to consider that the parks are feeling the same employment pressures.  

Scheduling would be a good idea. The water parks have done it plenty of times over the years. WWW in particular used to do it often (BRO and RIP would alternate for example). WNW used to do it to with the Mach 5 as an example. Scheduling rides that aren’t as popular like, Doomsday, Batwing, GL and Justice League would work. The rest should be open all day as they are the most popular. 

I don’t know the actual answer, but I’d say 4-5 each. So that is a good point. While Doomsday and Batwing are only a couple, so it would be easier to keep them open all day. 

I was getting at even though more staff are needed, they are more popular rides and they’d have to close the queue early (depending on how busy is it) so they don’t make people wait, then ask them to leave because the staff have to move to another ride. So if a ride was open 10-1 before the staff moved to another ride, and it’s a busy day, they might have to close the queue at 11-11:30 to clear it out in time. 

16 hours ago, themagician said:

I don’t know the actual answer, but I’d say 4-5 each. So that is a good point. While Doomsday and Batwing are only a couple, so it would be easier to keep them open all day. 

I think it's actually a lot more than that when you take into account the various positions you don't see such as Scooby evac zones in the high section and WWF evac/lookout zones at the turntable and lift.

@Spotty has always had good info on both of these attractions. 

From what I remember Scooby has Lead, Load, Group, Unload and High Zone - so 5. 

West usually has two in the control room - although I don't know why. Then you have group\load, and unload. I think each turntable also had one, but by the sounds of things the latest refurb has done away with that and replaced it with cameras? So best guess for West I think is about 4 now.

I think the thing to remember is that only so many leads exist for each ride. A grouper can't necessarily operate the master console. So it depends on who is lost. Groupers or unloaders can potentially be replaced with minimal difficulty, but if you lose a lead, you're in trouble.

The other thing is, not all ops crew are trained in everything. They normally have a few they rotate around but don't run everything - so you can't necessarily choose which rides run based on popularity - if the leads for the popular rides go down, you can't just move someone over from carousel unless they're also trained in it... so while to some extent they'd be prioritising, skilling requirements above all would be forcing some decisions to be made that won't be popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

@Spotty has always had good info on both of these attractions. 

From what I remember Scooby has Lead, Load, Group, Unload and High Zone - so 5. 

Do you mean supervisor when you say lead? Scooby has two in high zone, and I believe recently added an additional person at a set of fire doors at the back of the shed. There's also the attendant at the front of the castle, and almost always at least two in load. Including unload that's at least 7 or 8. These are high staff rides. WWF may have been recently reduced but it's almost certainly more than has been suggested.

Different terminology I suspect - i'd call a supervisor a person who isn't tied to one ride and moves freely through the park monitoring and assisting operations wherever needed.

In my book a lead is the 'master console' operator or most senior person operating the ride, and this stemmed from original Disney operations being part of the 'show' where the headliner was the 'lead'.

Interesting to hear about the addition of further positions in Scoob - and yes, i completely forgot about the greeter. thanks for jogging the old memory bank.

To clarify the confusion in minimum required positions:

WWF:
- Ride Supervisor
- Load 1
- Load 2
- Unload
- First Turntable
- Final Lift booth
- Monitor Observer 

Scooby Doo:
- Ride Supervisor
- Entry
- Sorter
- Load
- Unload
- Lift Booth
- High Zone 

This would likely be why these attractions are closing and/or yo-yo-ing with closures as they are highly staffed from a minimum requirement to operate. Not to mention each of these would likely need 2-3 same skilled employees to cover break entitlements.  

The skill of an operator is probably the greatest contributing factor here, VRTP is known for having a rather ridged progressive structure when it comes to attraction skill and training. This was something that was highlighted as a positive benchmark for the industry here in Australia after the inquest... 

On 13/01/2022 at 3:23 PM, joz said:

How many staff does Scooby and WWF take to run though. They are popular, but are they as popular as 3 other rides

Scooby at a minimum requires the following staff:

1x Entry Host

1x Load

1x Unload

1x High Zone

1x Lift

1x Supervisor

1 or 2 to cover breaks.

West used to require 5 staff before they got rid of the lift attendant at the top of lift 1. Not sure about now

1x Supervisor
1x Load

1x Unload

1x Lift attendant at turntable 1 (recently removed)

There was never an attendant for both lifts during the time that I worked there, but I know before the refurb they had an attendant at the bottom of lift 2 (not sure how long that was a thing for). There was only ever a "monitor" for when a guest with a disability was on the ride. That way in the event of a ride evac that staff member could attend to that boat straight away to not delay an evac (same as Scooby).

Also Scooby traditionally was one of the last rides a staff member would learn, due to the complex nature of the ride evacuations. Operations wise though it was honestly one of the easier rides. So I can see how staffing issues could very quickly cause issues if not everyone is trained on it. It was fairly common place for a roster to be 4 days scooby, and 1 day on another ride just to shake things up.

Edited by Spotty

There has been a ride op in a room monitoring cctv at the bottom of the second/major lift for as long as I can recall - at least a few years. Haven’t been on it since it reopened with the new boats so can’t speak for if they are still there. I know the Op at the top of the lift before the splash down stopped being there a couple of years ago that I can remember 

• Slick locked this topic