Movie world Maintenance 2022

Smol bean

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

West used to require 5 staff before they got rid of the lift attendant at the top of lift 1. Not sure about now

1x Supervisor
1x Load

1x Unload

1x Lift attendant at turntable 1 (recently removed)

There was never an attendant for both lifts during the time that I worked there, but I know before the refurb they had an attendant at the bottom of lift 2 (not sure how long that was a thing for). There was only ever a "monitor" for when a guest with a disability was on the ride. That way in the event of a ride evac that staff member could attend to that boat straight away to not delay an evac (same as Scooby).

The monitor position became a permanent position sometime over the last couple of years. There are now always two people in the control booth, with one watching the monitors the whole time.

21 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

Allegedly the front row is not used due to a design flaw with the manual harness release mechanisms (in the event of an evac, this issue would become very awkward for row 1 guests).

If true it puts the question forward as to why this wasn’t picked up in what would/should have been quite stringent and exhaustive testing prior to re-opening 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Levithian said:

Even if it was, what do you do now? How long you reckon it took for the boats to be made and sent out originally? not like they could get new ones in a couple weeks. 

The new boats entered service with the front row operating - so my question would be how did they NOT pick it up prior to that?

And what about the old boats - obviously nearing end of life or no longer compliant and hence the replacement but they were still running them until recently - could they not have continued doing so while the new boats got corrected?

• Like 3

I imagine, given the registration with the government for all the changes, they probably can't go backwards now it's registered, but also, maybe the changes in the ride for the lap bars and new station means they can't use the old boats either?

Good point about how it wasn't picked up though. Doesn't mean it isn't one of those situations where you are shit out of luck until a solution can be sorted. Rather than close the ride, run it at reduced capacity and make do I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Levithian said:

Good point about how it wasn't picked up though.

Obviously I have no proof of this, but from what we can see as guests I can't help but feel like this is an extension of a culture problem within the business. I don't feel like the park is looked at as a 'package' but instead is micro-managed as individual elements so that when an issue like this arises instead of having management go 'just fix it and get it done' they instead need to figure out which department to blame for the problem, then figure out which will manage the solution, then which entity will pay for the solution, and slowly work their way up from there. This generates the problem that because each department is managed as an individual entity then instead of having an 'all for one' to create the best possible park experience they're fighting between themselves for attention, love and money which slows everything down.

Again, nothing to back this up beyond experiencing the park as a guest, but its blatantly obvious that certain individual aspects of the park get far more love then others.

• Like 2

Problem is the manufacturer, the park and all their engineering guys, probably worksafe planning and any of the government guys who probably come and inspect things prior to being signed off; ALL would have missed it. So if its a problem with design or operation of them, everyone probably missed it and the ultimate issue is with who manufactured them. 

You cant just go and fix something anymore. Dreamworld accident saw to that. If something has to be changed or modified, it has to kinda work like you said. Fault has to be found, manufacturer has to agree to a fix, then changes have to be signed off by the government accreditor as changes to its registration documents have been made. Some point down the track youll get a fix. We have no idea the issue though. It could be something that is developed in house or it could mean Whitewater West have to remanufacture a part or something. 

Dropped the ball prior to opening? For sure. But there is a lot going on behind the scenes with regards to changes to designs of equipment that its not always just a quick or easy process. It has to pass through many hands before it even gets approved let alone fixed. 

5 hours ago, Levithian said:

maybe the changes in the ride for the lap bars and new station means they can't use the old boats either?

If I remember correctly didn’t we see the ride cycling at one point with both old and new boats?

the inability to “roll back” changes that caused issues is poor planning and poor execution.

Dont forget the station now has some power collectors sticking out, along with a bunch of sensors. Maybe there is an issue with the new station now it all works and we just saw the old boats in test phase. 

Honestly, given how busy it would be over the christmas holidays break, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they could run more/old boats to increase the capacity, they would have. 

10 hours ago, Levithian said:

Dont forget the station now has some power collectors sticking out, along with a bunch of sensors. Maybe there is an issue with the new station now it all works and we just saw the old boats in test phase. 

Honestly, given how busy it would be over the christmas holidays break, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they could run more/old boats to increase the capacity, they would have. 

If the lead time to a fix for these boats is as long as has been implied, sensors and power collectors could be removed, and old PLC backups could be restored.

it’s a case of being bothered.

• Slick locked this topic