Movie world Maintenance 2022

Smol bean

58 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Engineer friend says hes not booked to work on Superman Escape's system until the 11th, so expect it to be continuously pushed back until at least the 11th FYI

if they know it’s getting looked at until the 11th, i don’t understand why they don’t just say it’s going to be closed until at least the 12th or something.

is there a problem with the ride or were they just not able to get the routine maintenance done within the allocated time frame.

14 hours ago, Rivals said:

out of the 4 rides open in that area, Speedy Gonzales’ Tijuana taxis is useless with JDS next door, replacing Speedy Gonzales with 2 new smaller kids rides while also adding a mini drop tower (similar to bombora bounce -aussie word) where the old pounce n bounce was (or maybe in roadrunners footprint using the ‘observation area’ as a queue line) would make the area so much more lively and better overall. 

They made it useless with a minimum ride height. Prior to that, there was no ride height as long as the child could drive the car. And "drive" was a pretty loose term as the staff would sometimes end up steering the car around the whole track for some kids.  

My daughter loved it, could drive the cars all by herself without me or the mrs. She was so upset when they introduced a ride height. Refuses to go on them now even though she is a little taller. 

Think its one of the original, park opening attractions? Only the cars and roxy theatre remain?

Edited by Levithian

12 hours ago, joz said:

I'm not 100% sure, and not to be too topical  but I'm pretty confident that all the GC parks have the exact same model of carousel

But yeah I think with different presentation motion, a teacups ride is different enough from a demolition derby to work.

Yeah I think there's a little hair splitting here (on my behalf) but see I think a carousel gets a pass because the point of difference is what character the kid is going to sit on. A ferris wheel (not the size of play school wheel) gets a pass because the scenery is the point of difference and you go up to have a look, not because it goes round and round.

Honestly I didn't really notice the difference in ride experience between Dorothy's cups and Patrick's Jellyfish. I see it, so I guess, fair enough.

I just want to see them offer something unique rather than just duplicating (or at least, very closely resembling) what we already have on the coast... (the ninja turtles ride at sea world is a great example of something different.)

6 hours ago, Levithian said:

They made it useless with a minimum ride height. Prior to that, there was no ride height as long as the child could drive the car. And "drive" was a pretty loose term as the staff would sometimes end up steering the car around the whole track for some kids.  

My daughter loved it, could drive the cars all by herself without me or the mrs. She was so upset when they introduced a ride height. Refuses to go on them now even though she is a little taller. 

Think its one of the original, park opening attractions? Only the cars and roxy theatre remain?

Agree, Speedy's appeal was ruined by the change in height, although it never affected us as our little guy was tall enough when it changed - but to see kids line up to ride and be rejected, when they'd clearly been on before is a bit tough to swallow - and I bet operators didn't enjoy those moments (although the flip side being that they didn't have to usher the younger ones around by hand would be a back saver!)

I had always thought Sam Train and Tweety Cages were opening day attractions, but now I think about it, I think I remember seeing the Tweety control panel, but it said a different ride name? So I guess yes - Speedy and Roxy are the only two. It'd sure be a sad moment, but I think it's time for him to vamos.

Would have been a great idea for MW's 30th and in another universe without Covid, that might have happened... it isn't too late, but I guess we need to wait and see what BGH do - I doubt revamping the kids area is the top of their list...

16 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

the ninja turtles ride at sea world is a great example of something different

See great example: yes it's something different, and I would suggest quite popular that lots would like to go on. It also has an actual capacity of like 90 an hour (you get a lot of time to work this out in 20min queue made up of 30 people). In a world where I get an unlimited budget, that ride absolutely gets removed.

I wish the modern litigious society could tolerate Scooby's Silly Stix. Still one of my best memories of a kids theme park attraction when I was growing up.

38 minutes ago, Gazza said:

the fact that kids have a shorter attention span.

It's amusingly true - that kids might ride 1-2 times and then 'get bored' but can spend literal hours playing in a McDonald's play place, and still complain they aren't finished yet when its time to leave.

Don't build things that require them to stand in line for 20-30 minutes to have a 45 second spin on a mechanical device. Sure its fun, but kids like to make their own fun - give them a play structure of epic proportions and make sure its safe and job done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Yeah I think there's a little hair splitting here (on my behalf) but see I think a carousel gets a pass because the point of difference is what character the kid is going to sit on. A ferris wheel (not the size of play school wheel) gets a pass because the scenery is the point of difference and you go up to have a look, not because it goes round and round.

Honestly I didn't really notice the difference in ride experience between Dorothy's cups and Patrick's Jellyfish. I see it, so I guess, fair enough.

I just want to see them offer something unique rather than just duplicating (or at least, very closely resembling) what we already have on the coast... (the ninja turtles ride at sea world is a great example of something different.)

Agree, Speedy's appeal was ruined by the change in height, although it never affected us as our little guy was tall enough when it changed - but to see kids line up to ride and be rejected, when they'd clearly been on before is a bit tough to swallow - and I bet operators didn't enjoy those moments (although the flip side being that they didn't have to usher the younger ones around by hand would be a back saver!)

I had always thought Sam Train and Tweety Cages were opening day attractions, but now I think about it, I think I remember seeing the Tweety control panel, but it said a different ride name? So I guess yes - Speedy and Roxy are the only two. It'd sure be a sad moment, but I think it's time for him to vamos.

Would have been a great idea for MW's 30th and in another universe without Covid, that might have happened... it isn't too late, but I guess we need to wait and see what BGH do - 

I wouldnt expect anything much in the way of a complete makeover until after arkham asylum is gone and new rides installed. Could see maybe installing one new ride though since pounce and bounce was removed. 

Yeah, maybe they were pretty close, in the 90's too I guess. Im trying to remember what the area was like exactly. I remember there being kind of like a stage setup about where the carousel is, river ride was there and so was speedy taxis. But i cant remember what was behind them. I keep having visions of big carrots, but i think they might have been a bit later and around where the table and chairs are now?

Id look at what is compact and worth keeping, what could be resold and updated with a newer version, and what just needed to be junked. 

You could keep tweety cages because it fits that young (not toddler) age demographic, its easily moved and a red barron is still in production today so you arent really getting anything new.  Id probably sell yosemite sams train as i can see it being installed in another park or becoming a carnival ride as the train itself isnt themed. Speedy taxis might suit a relocation, you could ultise the cars within the foot print of a few other rides, even if they got a retheme themselves. 

Would leave pretty much everything from the big tree backwards to be ripped up. I honestly think splash zone is out of place too really, so i think it could be utilised too. Especially if it was used to relocate the entrance to driving school to face carousel and road runner coaster. Basically gives you an entire wall of the building to use for theming out the new area/rides. 

Everything in the middle to the stunt show stadium gets gutted. Buildings, trees, gardens, pathways. Theres no point trying to keep the desert/western kind of theme as it doesnt really exist in road runner anymore, so youve got a chance to retheme the whole kids area to something new.

Edited by Levithian
  • Love it! 1

4 minutes ago, Levithian said:

Im trying to remember what the area was like exactly. I remember there being kind of like a stage setup about where the carousel is, river ride was there and so was speedy taxis. But i cant remember what was behind them. I keep having visions of big carrots, but i think they might have been a bit later and around where the table and chairs are now?

I suppose we're pushing shit uphill to think anyone might have a MW park map from the early 90s...

My first visit was 1994. LT Stage was actually where RRRC sits now as far as I recall. Where Carousel is now used to be an LT merch shop which played (gasp) a laserdisc of LT cartoons on a small tube TV. Shop was absolutely STUFFED full of plush toys and quality LT memorabilia. There was a food outlet to the right of the LT Stage (Sam's Diner?), the front of which I think was boarded up a while ago as it was rarely open tucked away in the back corner of kids land. I think it serves only as an on-ride photo scanning kiosk for Road Runner.

Going off the timeline on Wiki - The LT Land only had river ride, Taxis, an 'unknown playground' and the LT stage (open air) on opening and no new additions were made until 1997 - Marvin Rocket, Tweety Cages, Taz Cars and Sam Train. 

The carrots were where the table and chairs are. Inside they had 90's era touch screens that kids could use to colour in LT related 'digital colouring in' pages. I recall a 'fan page' set up I think by cast members of the park, devoted to trying to save the carrots when MW was beginning to think about removing them. Ultimately unsuccessful, I think there was some mention of them on the forums a hwile back, although I don't have the time to go trawling for it right now, you can clearly see the foundations of the carrots on the park's Google Street View

image.thumb.png.905ad95aadf13d1f7650bcb15fd59110.png

I am really really racking my brain now, but I think the dilapidated shack hidden behind the character wall near the land's entrance (next to first aid) was also once a carrot, now converted and since left to rot - it has the same round shape and garden edging as the others, but I just can't be certain...

image.thumb.png.c675a18f787ed6264a18754e88ed08c9.png

• Like 1

I think the sams diner kitchen is still there, just the front covered over like you said.

Really, you could move maybe carousel and tweety cages up into that area around sams diner / front of road runner, then you would have a ton of room, but honestly, moving carousel probably isn't that great a gain as its kind of tucked back in the corner. Though I think a carousel is a ride that should really be completely visible from the center of the area. Like, if it was about where the big tree is. They always have great visual appeal for kids with all the light and sound, should be able to see it clear as day as soon as you look in the direction on kids wb from the plaza. 

If you moved tweety cages up to that sams diner area, you would still have room for another flat (replacement drop tower?) where the rest of the seating is.

The thing is, it's an area that really should have a food outlet, not just a random food van or mobile trolley like it has been reduced to. Especially if you have more kid friendly options available. The more I think of it the more it seems like it just needs a complete, shut it down for 12 months, knock it all down kind of rebuild.  Looking at the sat images, id even say it would be worth re-aligning the back road and changing the first stunt show entry damp/driveway to gain another 10m+ depth to the kids area at the back. Even maybe absorb the first aid area (temp relocate it to stars?) and toilet block and just start with a new layout that is all designed to fit together, rather than create pockets of dead space.

Food outlet and seating, 4-5 new rides, id even go so far as to maybe suggest returning a low stage for a kids show to return. Would also give somewhere permanent for toons character photos that is well themed with an actual background instead of just using the tree with random people in the background. Idea of a decent playground is awesome too as they are pretty space efficient given you can build up, not just out. Makes an obvious tie in with the parents area nearby too. 

If im honest as a parent, I really dont care about gardens that much. Id actually put a covered area well ahead of gardens and see it as a massive plus. It's honestly probably not a consideration cost wise, but if they built a new part of the kids area that was under covered (either main street roof style or even just a regular metal roof kind of like a carport) it would be a great place to hide out the bad weather and still keep the kids amused. May mean they could utilise every square inch of space too instead of losing 1/3rd to greenery. 

Maybe kind of build it a bit more like an arcade/ boardwalk with a few of your ride options, the food outlet, parents room and a playground under it. Would be a lot less dummy spits and wet bottoms from my kids if we had some sort of option like that. 

Edited by Levithian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I wish the modern litigious society could tolerate Scooby's Silly Stix. Still one of my best memories of a kids theme park attraction when I was growing up.

Thanks for the trip down memory Lane. Loved Scooby’s! Racing my mates up the cargo nets, trying to pick the fastest routes whilst dodging the other kids. Good simple fun. 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I still get PTSD from Speedy's Taxis... nearly 10 years later haha. As far as the Zamperla catalogue of kids rides goes (Sam Train, Tweety, Taz Cars and Marvin) They opened in 1997 when the name was changed from Looney Tunes Land to Looney Tunes Village. The Carousel and Pounce and Bounce were added in 2007 when it was changed to Kids WB.

Tweety had it's name changed from "Sylvester and Tweety Carousel" to "Sylvester and Tweety Cages" in 2009. This was done to ease confusion between this and the Carousel ride. The name on the control panel for Tweety reflects this.

• Like 2

So other than some rice refurbishments and removing two rides in 2010 and another a couple years ago and adding another simple driving ride. The area hasn’t really changed in 10 years. This area definitely needs some attention. From a presentation perspective, the area is looking much better than ABC Kids World at DW which arguably is even more desperate for a refurbishment and new attractions 

I think WB Kids can be reinvented without resorting to the loss of the gardens and greenery. There are areas of the park that lack gardens and they are depressing, IMO. Those giant carrots used to have vegetables (or were mock-plantings of vegetables) with signs indicating what was growing once upon a time - but even just some nice hedges, topiary, shady trees, make it a much more pleasant space to be in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Isn't Sky Fortress at SW the equivalent of Scoobys Silly Stix?

I mean, I guess its as close as we can get to it these days...

13 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

trying to pick the fastest routes whilst dodging the other kids

Scooby's had a 5 metre wide cargo net ramp climb. slower kids could be overtaken without getting in each other's way. A need to surround everyone with safety netting so they can keep to their feet is what results in Sky fortess - a single file version that isn't quite the same.

The walls are down for Superman, they are hoping it opens today but they’re currently having issues with the launch. Batwing is about to reopen, people are in the queue they were having technical issues this morning 

Rivals still operating at reduced capacity, but all seats (including backwards) appear to be working. Currently there is about 5 minutes between trains dispatching

C341CB66-1D98-4B38-AAF3-C6E659B6B1D7.thumb.jpeg.9e71111443aed50d5d2bbaeeaf5a1388.jpeg

Wild West walls is still slow, with quite a significant between each boat. This boat was unavailable but was still being dispatched

CA696568-402B-43C3-806E-E211BAFDC8C8.thumb.jpeg.23bc9e89938362883deab8647105914e.jpeg

Unfortunately, the entire Doomsday area is out of action. The only effect working is the water feature.
D9CA1EB4-81E3-4177-9463-694E14F9EF62.thumb.jpeg.c6f6a73998e8b7819b60bc35b6b1fd90.jpeg 

Even simple things as trimming the vines around poison ivy is being ignored 66EC2881-DD61-4F61-99FD-0721C0F9416E.thumb.jpeg.f05a872eac68ba0b9efac118c0ccebda.jpeg

On a very small positive note, the sign for Arkham has finally been removed 

8A271D05-D1B5-46DA-8418-3E61CBF326EB.jpeg

Edited by themagician

• Slick locked this topic