The Australian Pavilion at EPCOT.

Guest 239

Sorry folks - No announcement to get excited about but I thought it's been a while since we've had a good hypothetical!

Let's say tomorrow Australia and Disney announce that they're opening up an Australian Pavilion at Epcot; what would be your blue sky scenario?

A couple of things to start:

The 'Weenie' for the land can remain like the original concept with the Opera House. It's an icon that many people recognize as distinctly Australian and would serve as a nice waterfront restaurant around World Showcase Lagoon. This way we can draw people to the Pavilion.
Insights and Sounds: Australia was Coming to World Showcase

In my eyes the land would be split in two by a river.
- One side would be dedicated to the bush and Indigenous culture with the other one reflecting rural Australian towns. For the bush side you could have it as a combination between the nature trails at Animal Kingdom and Corroboree at Dreamworld. Wandering through 'the bush' you can learn about and see native wildlife, Indigenous culture and the natural disasters like bush fires, drought, etc. Disney could organize the animal care in collaboration with an organization like Australia Zoo to ensure that the native animals are adequately cared for but it also provides a cross-promotional opportunity. In terms of Indigenous representation as a young white dude I'm probably not the best person to touch on this but I'd imagine they'd assemble a 'council' of sorts to ensure that Indigenous culture as a whole is fairly represented. 
- I feel across the river it'd be great to have a rural Australian town. It is essential that it has a pub. This is my mood board for the area:
No description available.No description available.The camping area with views of The Bogan River - Picture of Nyngan  Riverside Caravan Park - Tripadvisor

The lands ride - A slow moving boat ride.
The idea I have for this attraction is that you enter a cave at the back of the land. It's dark and quiet but in the distance through the cue you can hear sounds reflecting native Australian wildlife and the sounds of traditional Indigenous instruments. Then you board a boat which takes you through a dark cave. A voice over guides you towards the roof where it's illuminated showing cave paintings. The voice over continues telling the story of early Australia until it the cave paintings come alive and begin to move. You then exit the cave into a dark show building simulating night time. The river is surrounded by bush and through the trees you can see a Corroboree happening which is where the sounds from the cave where coming from. As you continue down the river you can see animatronics of Australia's diverse night wild life until you hear a crack of lightning and using projections and effects the forest begins to burst into flame showing the devasting effects of bushfires. The light ramps up until you are now outside and the river separating the two parts of the land is actually the track which the boat ride follows. You get a unique view of the land before you re-enter the cave and more things happen before departing back into the land. 

These are just my rough ideas to get the discussion going. What would you like to see in a land representing Australia overseas? 

Edited by Dom
formating
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I worked in EPCOT in 2000, every day there seemed to be a rumor about new countries been planned for the World Showcase. The one i really wanted to see is Africa with the popularity of Black Panther the movie i could see this been the next one to get built but it seems unlikely after 4 decades of no new countries.

When I arrived from New Zealand they placed me in little Africa as they thought I would be a good fit..... I am european so was kinda out of place but learnt to play the bongo drums real well 🙂

There is space for 8-10 more countries in the World Showcase I was told but that the countries need to assist in sponsorship to fund them not sure if that true ? Australia would be a great country to add in but I would also suggest Ayers Rock & Great Barrier Reef would also be unique to see.

The original proposed location was by Norway attached pics of model & the way NZ and OZ are currently represented in the Epcot food & wine festival.

a.jpeg

b.png

c.gif

d.jpeg

e.jpeg

worldshowcase_outpost2009ww.jpeg

africa_shop_20120705_1888601598.jpeg

worldshowcase_coming1982disney.gif

• 2 weeks later...