Buzz off - Dreamworld commences dismantling of Buzzsaw roller coaster

Parkz News

3 hours ago, fletch said:

Nice to see it being taken down so soon unlike another ride I know... *cough cough* "Arkham Asylum" *cough cough*

removal of Arkham will require cranes so may as well wait until the new ride is ready for construction.

Not exactly awesome but luckily Arkham is tucked away behind some buildings and not literally front and center of the park.

7 hours ago, Naazon said:

removal of Arkham will require cranes so may as well wait until the new ride is ready for construction.

Not exactly awesome but luckily Arkham is tucked away behind some buildings and not literally front and center of the park.

How does waiting help?

presumsbly you would need to get the old ride out of the way so you can get a piling rig in and put in the replacement foundations for the new one.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the description of Steel Taipan as 'World Class'. This catchphrase has oft been bandied around far too much in Australia, and mostly scoffed at when used by corporate executives and marketing folks. 

I do think its the first time in a long time that it's been used to describe something at Dreamworld though, and it just came off 'right'. Its definitely the start of a new chapter.

7 minutes ago, Gazza said:

How does waiting help?

presumsbly you would need to get the old ride out of the way so you can get a piling rig in and put in the replacement foundations for the new one.

spot on. In the case of TOT and Buzz, they weren't on the new construction site, so multitasking the cranes was a cost efficient use of their time on site. 

Being on the same site isn't workable as there's a huge lead time between removing the old and constructing the new and the site prep and foundations wouldn't permit it to stay onsite.

• Like 1

The removal of TOT happened to allow for the new train route and the removal of BuzzSaw happened now so they didn’t need to setup fencing and close ST. 

I guess when an attraction isn’t set to be replaced for some time, then the park don’t see it worthwhile removing the old until necessary. I wish that wasn’t the case, but that’s unfortunately what happens.

Bermuda Triangle sat there for two years untouched. Mach 5 sat for 3.5 years. The ridiculous SBNO was some of the old rides at DW, such as the mine ride and chairlift. 

5 hours ago, Gazza said:

How does waiting help?

Waiting helps with budgeting and tender processes.

For sure the old needs to be removed first. Never implied otherwise but if you remove closer to the new installation you can package together the hires.

If you remove first, if would be difficult to package the whole process as the new installation may not be for 3.5 years and rates surely will have changed by then.

Not saying this is nice but it's business and as I said, Arkham isn't in the front of the park, it's hidden off to the side behind superman and Scooby buildings.

Theme parks are always refreshing thrill rides these aren't Disney parks with permanent rides likes "Space Mountain" & "Pirates of the Caribbean", so there life span is always limited. Movie World, Sea World have opened and closed plenty of rides. DreamWorld has shut & removed a lot of rides recently but with their CEO the former no 2 at Village Theme Parks one would hope they have a plan to build more attractions.

19 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I get the reasons for the removal, which we've debated in detail, but can I just say the aim of any theme park should never be 'decluttering the skyline'. 

Yes and no.

Dreamworld building shorter rides like ST theoretically allows for better execution of 'sight lines' (think Disney) which is one of the best things you can do to make a park immersive, but no park in Australia does this these days.

Theming and immersion aside, first impressions matter, and the driving-to-the-gate view of DW will look far better once ST is open than what it used to be, which was a shitfest of big faded junk that makes the park look like Six Flags. 

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Yes and no.

Dreamworld building shorter rides like ST theoretically allows for better execution of 'sight lines' (think Disney) which is one of the best things you can do to make a park immersive, but no park in Australia does this these days.

Theming and immersion aside, first impressions matter, and the driving-to-the-gate view of DW will look far better once ST is open than what it used to be, which was a shitfest of big faded junk that makes the park look like Six Flags. 

I think Australian parks saw the whole immersion thing and went "nah". Big rides that can be seen across the parks also have a job of building anticipation, excitement and helps create an atmosphere that so much is always going on.

Not saying one is better than the other, just that there are different view points and I think they GC Parks are clearly going for one options (or have in the past).