Steel Taipan - Reviews

themagician

8 hours ago, Ryanhop01 said:

Just curious, how does one get invited to these VIP events for the rides! Also I've got major FOMO because i need a pass and I only have a VRTP one AHH

Have a massive following with strong interests for the amusement industry? Or be highly regarded as an important figure to instill positive influences for any future guests/interested parties? Maybe be a celeb or any external entity that works closely with the park?

19 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

How not to soft open...

Hope we see it open later today so angry passholders don't leave Dreamworld for nothing.

This is pretty much WHY they do a 'soft open'. Passholders might be disappointed, but are most likely to have other opportunities to ride later if things go pear shaped.

The last thing you want to do is debut on boxing day with capacity crowd and have to shut down on the 27th because something didn't work the way you thought it would.

• Like 1

When ST finally opened yesterday the spinning train remained in the maintenance shed.  You could clearly see inside the bay as you exited the ride and DW were working under the train on the wheel assemblies.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

This is pretty much WHY they do a 'soft open'. Passholders might be disappointed, but are most likely to have other opportunities to ride later if things go pear shaped.

The last thing you want to do is debut on boxing day with capacity crowd and have to shut down on the 27th because something didn't work the way you thought it would.

The problem wasn't is being a soft opening, most people understood what that meant. Problems arrived yesterday because guest were getting mixed information so the communication could have been better.  Dependent on who you talked to you would get a different answer.

19 hours ago, Ryanhop01 said:

Just curious, how does one get invited to these VIP events for the rides!

Don't have opinion that doesn’t praise the park.

After riding it 5 times yesterday afternoon I started to write up a review but when I proofread it, I decided I was being overly picky and didn’t think it was fair on DW because overall it is a decent ride.   ST is the ride DW needed, and you can tell it has lifted the morale of the staff around the park.  The staff were generally excited & happy, and it rubbed off onto the guess.

People should give it a go and If I had one hot tip in would be to sit up the very back and I preferred the inside.

Edited by New display name
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

the spinning train is currently testing so it appears whatever the issue was has been fixed

Here today, 4 hr drive but the spinning seat will not be running today, unlucky for those here for soft opening (both trains are currently in testing). Staff are hopeful it will be running by Wednesday but are having issues.

It's a terrible ride, every one needs to stay away 😂 

Seriously, DC Rivals has some very serious competition in the thrill rides now. The backwards bit seemed like a gimmick, but the kick when the power comes on and you head up the spike! 

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, red dragin said:

It's a terrible ride, every one needs to stay away 😂 

Seriously, DC Rivals has some very serious competition in the thrill rides now. The backwards bit seemed like a gimmick, but the kick when the power comes on and you head up the spike! 

I agree, I wasn't really that interested in the triple launch but now having been on the ride it really adds such a unique element to the ride.

Edited by Vidgamer
  • Like 1

This ride is fantastic, it’s slower then dc rivals but it’s elements more then make up for it. Back definitely give a better ride experience thanks to the reverse spike and extra pull through the various parts.

Shame I can get back for another day of riding till after Christmas to experience the tail whip seats(when working).

This is one of the best rides in australia.

• Like 1

after 4 rides today (2x front, middle, back) definitely prefer it over Rivals.

The launches packed a lot more of a punch then i expected, even the first launch i thought packed a pretty good punch but launch's 2 & 3 were bonkers. 

The rest of the ride has really good hang time as well as a lot of intense portions, such as a the turn after the loop and especially the barrel roll. 

overall, my favourite ride in the park and as of right my favourite overall. 

People keep commenting that it’s slower than rivals, but only by 5km/h. The speed is more noticeable on Rivals because of the elements throughout the ride, but by the end it slows down significantly. ST I find holds its speed better through the varying elements. I’m glad that very launch of ST is much slower because it allows the second and third to pack a punch. It the launch speed increases were divided evenly, it probably wouldn’t have the same experience 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, themagician said:

People keep commenting that it’s slower than rivals, but only by 5km/h. 

10km/h is the answer you are looking for but in reality the speed as you enter into the first element is 15km/h slower.  

56 minutes ago, themagician said:

The speed is more noticeable on Rivals because of the elements throughout the ride, but by the end it slows down significantly. 

Rivals probably doesn’t slow down any more than ST at the end except Mack is using the illusion of speed for ST towards the end.

58 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Given the trains and track designs are pretty much identical - how long before someone notices a 'rattle' ? 🤣

Couple of minor ones in the back of 20 seater train, jolting feeling too like the rear carriage is pushing the one in front of it sideways in the corners towards the end too. Bit rough at the back but nothing significant (certainly not AA rough). 

I do like the onboard LED that confirms the harnesses are lowered enough to lock - great time saving device. 

Edited by red dragin

2 hours ago, red dragin said:

I do like the onboard LED that confirms the harnesses are lowered enough to lock - great time saving device. 

If you are referring to the small green lights within the seat harness mechanism case thingo (whatever it is), I've been told it serves as a device to send the main computer confirmation that the seatbelt has indeed been locked and checked by the ride attendants (given some people like to do their belt before the attendant gets there).

The light remains off until the belt is inserted into the buckle - from there, the light flashes. Then the attendants (using their red whistle-looking device) scan the area below the light. Doing so allows the light to stop flashing and therefore verifying the belt has been locked and checked (as stated above).

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Yo just a big FYI! 
Despite Dreamworld sending AP’s emails saying the ride would operate up until the grand opening, they have decided to not open the ride today. Bit pissed off tbh, came all the way down expecting to ride and the damn greeter just says too bad come back tomorrow and deal with the mass crowds. 

they said that on Sunday, however the ride did end up opening at around 2pm. So there’s always a possibility it may open.

16 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

If you are referring to the small green lights within the seat harness mechanism case thingo (whatever it is), I've been told it serves as a device to send the main computer confirmation that the seatbelt has indeed been locked and checked by the ride attendants (given some people like to do their belt before the attendant gets there).

The light remains off until the belt is inserted into the buckle - from there, the light flashes. Then the attendants (using their red whistle-looking device) scan the area below the light. Doing so allows the light to stop flashing and therefore verifying the belt has been locked and checked (as stated above).

I don't know if it was a coincidence, people not engaging the seatbelt fully or there is a time limit between seatbelt engaging and confirmation by the ride attendant, but the seats people were “self-seat belting” were the seats that had to be unlocked and relocked more frequently.

52 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Yo just a big FYI! 

Yes, DW communication has been poor.  I was under the impression parks had in house social media teams.