Steel Taipan - Reviews

themagician

Rode today a few times - 2 in the front, back, middle and then spinning. 

I was very underwhelmed. I give it a 5/10. Both of the forwards launches 🤮 so uneventful and boring, though the backwards launch felt a little exciting. The airtime hill was waaaaay more tame than I expected, considering rivals has a similar element that slaps hard ASF I was shocked i barely “left” my seat. 

Pacing was decent, forces were gentle and tame though I was seeing stars after my first ride which was odd for me (also my friends saw stars too) 

Next to rivals, obviously rivals wins. I’ve ridden hundreds of coasters Al over - and this is fantastic thrill  for first time roller coaster riders, so dreamworld has definitely hit the nail on its head. For thrill seekers like myself it’s boring. 

Edited by jack.c
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first ride, row 5. I was surprised at how compact a coaster it is - making some transitions quite surprisingly snappy.

DCR has snappy elements, but being a hyper you can see they’re coming.

as so many have said, that reverse launch is surprising. Part of the thrill is knowing the track has no apparent end on the spike (and even though the ride’s computers apply the correct amount of thrust), the half-fear of flying off the track is fun.

Two trains today, so as a single rider it a walk-on.

• Like 5

Quiet day, despite it being school holidays. I mentioned to the staff sorting the queue that I’d be happy to wait to ride row 10 on the non-spinning train. She gave me the knowing grin and waved me to it.
Rows 6-10 were empty except me, and the seat checking rideop guy also gave me that knowing grin when he finally reached me, saying “best seats apart from the spinning ones”, and wow I agree. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dom said:

How is attendance going at Dreamworld? I've seen the argument that Movie World is packed so therefore Dreamworld is doing poorly but I'd imagine that there'd be a fair few people with tickets to both properties? 

on the 29th of December Dreamworld was quite packed but it has calmed down a little, imo it could have something to do with how much more it offers then movie world? the carpark looks full but it’s divided between both parks and Dreamworlds size and amount of things to do is a lot larger then Movie Worlds especially when a couple of the rides are down. The main reason to this theory is as soon as it’s around lunch time all of the food outlets are packed and then the crowds slowly ease out / spread out again.

Edited by Rivals

Everything is quieter this year. Mrs went via DFO Airport to drop friends to their flight yesterday at lunch time. Normally struggle to park there. She said it was a ghost town. 

Plenty of reports of very low shopping numbers, people are minimising their time in public at the moment given how covid is spreading so freely now. 

No doubt the parks are seeing the same. 

1 hour ago, Dom said:

How is attendance going at Dreamworld? I've seen the argument that Movie World is packed so therefore Dreamworld is doing poorly but I'd imagine that there'd be a fair few people with tickets to both properties? 

Between myself and another mate we've been a half dozen times between when Steel Taipan opened to now and I've yet to see the park bustling the same way Movie World is. At its busiest i've yet to wait more than 15 minutes for Steel Taipan and i've also yet to see it hit the switchback or the entrance sign.

• Like 2

I'm super late to this thread, but (as others have been saying) a solo Tailwhip ride is insane. I rode it on the official opening day, and the operator-assigned rows already put it above the forceless DCR rides I got the day before, but after riding Tailwhip later on, it's the best coaster on the Gold Coast (right now) by a sizable margin IMO. Hopefully once DCR reopens it's backwards seating I can compare both gimmick seats to give DCR a fairer comparison, but as for what is currently on offer with DCR and ST, ST is the better coaster IMO.

It's a shame about the low attendance, especially in comparison to Movie World, cause it really isn't doing crash hot at all recently, with most (if not all) of their major rides having regular downtime and general maintenance issues. On the other hand, Dreamworld is really bringing their A-game with all their rides and attractions (plus, they're doing a decent amount of marketing for 'em too). Seems to me that people still have some time left on their Village Roadshow passes, and they want to get the most out of that time before contemplating the switch over to Dreamworld annuals. Either that, or River Rapids is still tarnishing their brand more than they expected.

Edited by Tricoart
Flow

3 minutes ago, joz said:

Ok I'm seeing a pretty boring backdrop with a small logo and some pretend coaster seats. What am I missing that makes this really good?

it’s creative, interesting and good marketing placed in the middle of a busy city which is a smart advertising strategy, no need to be negative all the time 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, joz said:

Ok I'm seeing a pretty boring backdrop with a small logo and some pretend coaster seats. What am I missing that makes this really good?

You a seem little cranky lately? I mean I get it, 2022 has been pretty f**ked thus far…

38 minutes ago, joz said:

Look it's fine. It's a little bit better than other bus stops.

Yeah I guess it’s only a little better than this one from a few years back….

DC5DA2AF-E31D-4A2D-BF55-D7B3FA9DD663.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...