Steel Taipan - Reviews

themagician

10 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Nothing cooler on a hot day than sitting on a bench in direct sun with concrete and bricks surrounding you…

Black Concrete and Black Bricks too. Love that radiating heat.

10 hours ago, Rivals said:

people sit on that path either ways so it’s better to just add actual seating

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If the seating was provided in a more suitable location people wouldn't use it. As kings of the shaded seats, they have done a poor job here.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

If the seating was provided in a more suitable location people wouldn't use it.

In @themagician's image you can see people sitting on the path in the direct sun even though the seat is right there. Sometimes people just don't do the logical thing.

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Nothing cooler on a hot day than sitting on a bench in direct sun with concrete and bricks surrounding you

I haven't been here yet but if I'm gauging my bearings correctly then isn't this bench facing the East? That wall would start providing shade just after midday and you can see it just peaking over making me think it's 1 PM when the image was taken. I can imagine a lot of people sitting around waiting for their friends to do GD, etc. so the bench does make sense there in my eyes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got a chance to ride ST finally last week.

For reference - I've got around 180 credits including coasters at Six Flags MM, GA, Atlanta, Cedar Point, Canadas Wonderland, All Florida parks etc. 

I found it really disappointing. The launches are weak - the only decent one is the start of the 2nd one. You spend around 10 secs travelling on a straight flat track and the pacing is all over the shop. Also it trims on the MCBR .. and there's no yeet off it like so many other rides take advantage of.

It just seems like a weird pick for the park - you've got a top tier launch down the road, along with a coaster with a much better layout - the only real big difference is the inversions.

Also ops were pretty bad. 2 people running ST, 4 people running rivals down the road.. on the same day. Also interesting that they don't allow sunglasses with straps - which was perfectly fine on TTD. 

The one good thing that dreamworld did was get that soaring clone. Perfect fit.  

Just my opinion.

I’m sorry but i doubt Rivals had 4 ops, unless they’ve changed it recently cause not too long ago when i was down the it was nearly over 3-4 minutes just to get a train out with 2 ops. Whereas taipan does only have 2 ops when one train is on and in my experience, the ops are still pretty decent, definitely not 3-4 minutes. 

I think stating 180 credits is just to establish a basis that he has an educated opinion to base their critique - fair

Unfortunately parks in Australia are kinda dumb and don’t allow things that are fine all over the world (like sunglasses with straps- or without even!). 

And I just have to comment that someone has a ride has 4 ops that they saw with their own eyes and others of course have to say “no there weren’t” 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

Cringe.

Wait, haven't you travelled across the country on more than one occasion to ensure you have every last credit? (inc. kiddie coasters) 😄

1 hour ago, themagician said:

No parks let you wear them even with a strap on

I'd be surprised if any park let you wear a strap on. Or did I read that wrong?

@Dean Barnett I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on Steel Taipan's presentation in comparison to other global parks.

6 hours ago, Gazza said:

Cringe.

Just wondering did DC Rivals or Superman allow glasses with a strap?

Nope. It feels like you almost gotta be naked to ride Superman (it was closed on this visit). Having a queue where you can't have your phone is super lame. They need to get rid of the wall between the load and unload for Superman and add bins. Never seen then with 2 trains and the time the train takes to go from the unload to the load is 100% wasted time. 

3 hours ago, Rivals said:

I’m sorry but i doubt Rivals had 4 ops, unless they’ve changed it recently cause not too long ago when i was down the it was nearly over 3-4 minutes just to get a train out with 2 ops. Whereas taipan does only have 2 ops when one train is on and in my experience, the ops are still pretty decent, definitely not 3-4 minutes. 

They definitely did - like I saw them with my own (naked) eyes? 

2 hours ago, Slick said:

Wait, haven't you travelled across the country on more than one occasion to ensure you have every last credit? (inc. kiddie coasters) 😄

I'd be surprised if any park let you wear a strap on. Or did I read that wrong?

@Dean Barnett I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on Steel Taipan's presentation in comparison to other global parks.

Every single park I've been to has let me wear sunglasses with straps - including rides with much greater forces (X2, TTD, SteVie, Hulk) They also let you put a hat under your shirt for those brake run stacking waits. 

Presentation was great - except for the area under the ride.. some landscaping would be far better.image.thumb.png.181f175fb7fac8c4158f0d43464f171a.png 

2 hours ago, rappa said:

I think stating 180 credits is just to establish a basis that he has an educated opinion to base their critique - fair

Unfortunately parks in Australia are kinda dumb and don’t allow things that are fine all over the world (like sunglasses with straps- or without even!). 

And I just have to comment that someone has a ride has 4 ops that they saw with their own eyes and others of course have to say “no there weren’t” 😂

Yeah just wanted to setting my expectations. Dreamworld are definitely way over strict now - I wasn't able to wear my sunglasses around my neck, tethered - on the soaring clone.. I've taken a full on backpack on multiple Disney rides with inversions.  I'm not sure why I'd make up the amount of ops? They also didn't let me re-ride rivals when there wasn't anyone waiting for my row... I did the front row of apollo 4 times in a row once because of the empty queue. 

Edited by Dean Barnett
  • Like 1

Every country has different rules when it comes to attractions, in america, like every example you have given you’re allowed to take on some items such as sunglasses and hats, but in Australia, you aren’t allowed to at any park, same with a lot of other parks around the world. It’s not necessarily the parks fault it’s what they have to follow

56 minutes ago, themagician said:

But it’s the not better. But what else could they do?

Theming should be relevant to the context of where the viewer is standing. I'd say that's pretty much 101 basics when it comes to Disney theme and design of their parks. If you're in Fantasyland, most of what you see should be Fantasyland.

So what do you do if you have a ride that peaks over sight lines like Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, Guardians of the Galaxy at DCA (formerly Tower of Terror)? You do one of two things, you build future theming in mind to hide or compliment those broken sight lines, or you just accept that it's a big attraction and it's unavoidable you might see the white steel cap of Space Mountain in another themed land. If that weren't the case, then you'd be theming the entire park to the largest visible ride, which is kind of nuts when you think about it. If that were the case, then the whole park would be themed to Tower of Terror, much like Sea World would be themed to Storm or Movie World Rivals.

Therefore the arid-desert/snake theme works well in the context of Steel Taipan's courtyard. Outside of that space it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense on the walk to Giant Drop and it's really not needed here. A basic colour with some climbing figs or vegetation would be far more appropriate in the context of City Hall/Dreamworld's entrance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rappa said:

It 100% needs landscaping. 

Even just grass underneath the ride. The drone shots they had for the marketing of the ride were ace, but were let down because the whole joint looks like a construction site from above.

No more rocks. Just grass. Grass makes it look good.