Dreamworld what’s next?

Tim Dasco

With Steel Taipan now open what do people think will be next for the park?

Personally I’m hoping their next major Capex addition is a large scale family attraction be a water based one or a family coaster. But something that caters to all.

or do we see the ABC kids world remodel coming next? That area is in need of some love as well? 

Interesting times and let the speculation begin.

i think (quote me if i’m wrong) a while back Dreamworld said to stay tuned for future announcements involving new exciting attractions, however this was after steel taipan had started construction from my memory. (again, could very well be wrong)

if this is the case i would love the next ride to be a more airtime focused ride, however i think the next attraction being a water based ride is more likely. this could be built in the old Log Ride area, maybe a mack power splash? the GP would see it being similar to Storm (track wise, roller coaster with splash) so the positive perception storm has may be able to give the GP confidence that this ride will be safe. If this was to happen i see it probably occurring before the hotel opens or open it together? 

Besides that i think we will be seeing ABC kids world revamped as well as Dreamworks (even if it’s mostly cosmetic stuff)

Edited by Rivals

3 hours ago, OgreMagic said:

I think they should focus on ABC next. This was their plan anyway before Covid stopped it right? A well made Bluey land could do wonders for the park.

Honestly their pre-covid plans were a little yawn worthy at best and some of them were downright stupid. All that said, for an industry in recovery, i'm not sure a revamped kids land is going to be the big ticket they need to keep folks hyped. Another marquee is probably needed.

3 hours ago, Rivals said:

i think (quote me if i’m wrong) a while back Dreamworld said to stay tuned for future announcements involving new exciting attractions, however this was after steel taipan had started construction from my memory. (again, could very well be wrong)

That's as much theme park boiler plate as 'excuse our mess' and 'this attraction has been closed to make way for an exciting new attraction' See also "in the coming weeks" and "Coming Summer Easter Next Year Soon"

Bluey is criminally under represented at DW. Some sort of indoor ride would be very welcomed. That's coming from someone with no kids who hates ABC Kids Land.

Aside from that, they do need to keep the ball rolling and get another big ride in. Obvious pick would be a shoot the chutes this year, followed by a flat ride or a small coaster the year after. A big 1, 2, 3 punch would do wonders.

What I think they'll do is spend the next couple years continuing to tinker around the edges and see if Steel Taipain alone does the trick and put all the focus into the hotel.

• Like 2

I understand that re doing ABC isn't going to keep some people coming back but a Bluey dark ride in the Big Red Car building would be a slam dunk. DW don't take advantage of the ABC license given that show is extremely popular and has literally nothing in the land.

I do think that a shoot the chutes themed to the Great Barrier Reef (think Jurassic Park but with ocean animals) would be really cool and very unique, or a dark ride/drop track coaster themed to the Rainbow Serpent. Either of those will go in what's been freed up by Log Ride and should provide a lot of impact.

Yeah I like the idea of a Bluey dark ride and a shoot the chutes ride.

Shoot the chutes I love because they are instagrammable. Big spray of water and then non riders can stand on the bridge and get soaked which creates a lot of funny videos. The big splash is what makes the ride iconic.

Storm coaster could have had this but because of its stupid layout one of the best features is hidden (and indeed the fact its a water coaster, to bystanders it just looks like a normal coaster with 8 person cars)

Shoot the Chute - Water Ride With the Biggest Splash,

Tidal Wave Ride Busch Gardens | Mapio.net

Flats I don't really care about, yeah they have less than they did previously, but IMO the park had too many so it's not super urgent.

One thing I think will make a difference is that the village parks will tend to just do about one ride per year across all the parks. Eg they'll finish New atlantis, but WnW will get nothing, and then MW will get its arkham replacement and the other parks will get nothing. (Aside from low cost things like new 3d shows or exhibits)

Whereas if DW build one ride per year for the next 3 or 4 years, that'll really build up the park and renew interest.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 4
  • Love it! 1

2 hours ago, RobMac said:

A New Rocky Hollow Log Ride!

I would prefer for DW to move on from this theme. It is like arguing to bring back Gold Rush. A Great Barrier Reef themed shoot the chutes (Jurassic Park style) would be pretty cool and fit with the direction that DW have taken theme wise with ST and Voyager. Could be presented as a boat tour of the reef.

I would love DW to even go with a Dreamtime story as a theme - an attraction themed to the Rainbow Serpent story would be very unique, maybe a dark ride or a flume. Totally different to what you see at Village

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, Baconjack said:

I would prefer for DW to move on from this theme. It is like arguing to bring back Gold Rush. A Great Barrier Reef themed shoot the chutes (Jurassic Park style) would be pretty cool and fit with the direction that DW have taken theme wise with ST and Voyager. Could be presented as a boat tour of the reef.

I would love DW to even go with a Dreamtime story as a theme - an attraction themed to the Rainbow Serpent story would be very unique, maybe a dark ride or a flume. Totally different to what you see at Village

Why would DW "move on" from it's OWN Highly Successful "Rocky Hollow Log Ride" theme?  Would Disney suddenly bin Mickey Mouse to simply..."move on", what does "moving on" even actually mean?

Enough theme park clueless silly speak and embrace the Hard FACTS of DW's Own creative skill sets!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, themagician said:

But Micky Mouse is the face of Disney. The Rocky hollow log ride is definitely not the face of DW.

Disney do NOT change Brand Names.....they certainly DO Modernise and Enhance Experiences, but their Brand NEVER changes!

Interesting comments from Tony Lonhgurst in the recent GC Bulletin article.....DW was great.....and now, it ain't!

17 minutes ago, RobMac said:

Disney do NOT change Brand Names.....they certainly DO Modernise and Enhance Experiences, but their Brand NEVER changes!

Interesting comments from Tony Lonhgurst in the recent GC Bulletin article.....DW was great.....and now, it ain't!

But Dreamworld is not even in the same ball park as Disney. Disney's various parks are all about the IPs. The reason you go to Disneyland is for the immersion with the characters and worlds that Disney as a brand represents. You wouldn't go to Disneyland if you wanted to ride a world-class thrill coaster, you'd go to Six Flags. As you may notice, the focus of Disney Parks (at least under good Disney management) is therefore on experiences rather than just rides, theming, and high-quality experiences that immerse guests with high attention to detail. On their surface, Disney rides are sometimes pretty unexciting machines, but their quality comes from their world-class immersion and detail.

Dreamworld, even when it was inspired by Disney somewhat, has never been that. Even where they have used IPs such as DreamWorks, they have never been focused on such in-depth theming, but rather on having a variety of rides and experiences for the whole family, even where they are just that - rides or shows for the sake of having rides and shows. You'd never see anything like Tower of Terror at Disneyland, it would be considered one of their weakest attractions. But at Dreamworld, it was one of the strongest. Disneyland would also never install something like The Claw or Steel Taipan, where the theme is more of a vague aesthetic with some sort of implied theme, but at Dreamworld, they fit right in and are quite popular.

The closest you could say Dreamworld have to a cohesive "theme" is the Australiana vibe which has long since died, since the removal of Gold Rush and arguably even earlier. And even then, that was more of an aesthetic than a theme in the Disney sense. Rides like RHLR and TRR, while some of the most "themed" rides in the park, all had implied stories and vague aesthetics designed to just be appealing to the eye, not to necessarily immerse guests.

I think it's pretty clear Dreamworld have never been remotely similar to Disneyland, and post-2016 they seem to be headed in a new direction that deviates even further from that. Comparing Dreamworld to Disneyland, and RHLR to Mickey Mouse (?) is comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RobMac said:

Have Disney completely demolished a 30+ year old attraction and then built a replacement attraction that’s a different ride style altogether and given it the same name/theme as what replaced it? 

dreamworld isn’t re-theming or rebranding an existing ride - RHLR is gone. It’s building a brand new attraction and as such, it should have a brand new theme. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Have Disney completely demolished a 30+ year old attraction and then built a replacement attraction that’s a different ride style altogether and given it the same name/theme as what replaced it? 

dreamworld isn’t re-theming or rebranding an existing ride - RHLR is gone. It’s building a brand new attraction and as such, it should have a brand new theme. 

Agree with this 100%

• Like 2

I can get a bit of what both sides are saying.

OK yeah DW didn't really have its mickey mouse.

But certainly, some stuff like the paddlesteamer should never have been removed.

You can definitley switch out and modernise some attractions, but you probably should keep a few classics around (Even if they are stupid)  because a bit of intergenerational nostalgia is an important part of any theme parks brand, remember a lot of what theme parks are selling is warm fuzzy feelings and memories.

Like at Disney, Autopia and Jungle Cruise are the biggest attractions in the park and are kinda lame compared to indy or space mountain, but they would be stupid if they got rid of either

image.thumb.png.8b669d71c2637010b7289a797d9ce0d1.png

• Like 1