Dreamworld what’s next?

Tim Dasco

24 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Ok Paddlesteamer and Bushranger and Barbershop Quartet

Fixed.

Unless you had something to do on it, like you taking photos, you wanted to get off by the time you reached the first bend.

Edited by New display name

As far as what rides/attractions I rode the most at Dreamworld from the late 90's to the mid 00's when I lived on the Gold Coast and had a yearly pass it was the following.

Rode every visit:
River Rapids
Log Ride
Vintage Cars
Chairlift
Stingray

Rode almost every visit:
Paddlesteamer
Enterprise
Dreamworld Cinemas

Rode every other visit:
Train
Gravitron
Country Jamboree

Only rode it a few times because I was either too young or too scared:
Avalanche
Thunderbolt
Wipeout
Tower of Terror

Now that I've spent half an hour writing this list I wonder what the point of it was and maybe if it even deserves its own thread but whatever it is what it is...

• Like 2

I didn't add any ride that was built after or around 2005 as that didn't fit my criteria of having had a yearly pass during that period. I only rode Eureka once and didn't care for it. I didn't add Blue Lagoon because I honestly can't remember going in anything except the pool (so no slides). If I missed another ride or attraction it was either because I didn't ride it or it didn't leave an impression on me.

• 3 months later...

After visiting DW today I couldn’t help but notice the back area of the park (corroboree/vintage cars) is just so dead & hear so many people saying things like “This was so much better 10 years ago”. Makes me wonder how many more years they can get out of it. 

Vintage cars is a great family attraction & kids really do enjoy driving, but the throughput is terrible. 

My question would be, would you like to see the whole area get a major upgrade, get demolished to make way for something new or just get some minor TLC? 

55 minutes ago, xRazzBerryx said:

After visiting DW today I couldn’t help but notice the back area of the park (corroboree/vintage cars) is just so dead & hear so many people saying things like “This was so much better 10 years ago”. Makes me wonder how many more years they can get out of it. 

Vintage cars is a great family attraction & kids really do enjoy driving, but the throughput is terrible. 

My question would be, would you like to see the whole area get a major upgrade, get demolished to make way for something new or just get some minor TLC? 

i’d say get some TLC, new animals, reopen the nocturnal house, and add a new ride within the old RHLR plot of land. Which i think should be some sort of water ride.

However, with dreamworld past, this could be difficult. imo, they should go with a type of ride that is familiar to the GP, my first thought is a Mack Water coaster. The GP would trust it as they have most likely heard / been on storm, they’d just have to make sure it’s a superior / different ride experience. 

• Like 1

I don’t think the area feels the same because there are no kangaroos and hardly any people in the area. There’s no much atmosphere. There aren’t any shows or demonstrations because these were mostly targeted at the international audience. If the kangaroos are brought back and they begin to reintroduce the demonstrations (even if it’s just on weekends for now), then that will slowly bring the area back to what it was. Even when the train reopens that might help the activity of the area because I’d imagine some people won’t go back there because it’s a long walk. But a refurbishment of the entire area would certainly be welcomed, but I don’t think is a priority right now. 

• Like 1

When I think "Dreamworld" way down the list of nostalgic thoughts is the animal area (I'm sorry, does it have an actual name now, I don't even know), I mean heck I'm more nostalgic for the chair lift ride that used to bridge Gold Rush Country and umm... err, I know it had a name I just can't remember it... But yeah as @themagician said revamping that area of the park should not be a priority until the rest of the park can be brought up to better standards!

10 hours ago, themagician said:

There aren’t any shows or demonstrations because these were mostly targeted at the international audience.

You're on the money. Talking to people involved with the park, they've just not really bothered with the back half considering it was mainly a draw card for tourists from Asia. Once international tourism is back in full swing they'll start reintroducing the farmers, more animals, etc. 

But as mentioned above, I think any additions to this area are low on their priority list.

On 10/04/2022 at 2:50 AM, Cactus_Matt said:

the animal area (I'm sorry, does it have an actual name now, I don't even know)

I think the current 'name' is "Dreamworld Wildlife" or just "Wildlife"

23 hours ago, Dom said:

they've just not really bothered with the back half considering it was mainly a draw card for tourists from Asia. 

Haven't they been doing a lot of work on the Koala viewing area recently?

The website just refers to it as Native Wildlife and lists the different zones 

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/rides-attractions/wildlife/native-wildlife/

The directional signage in the park just states native wildlife, but they still have the Corroboree signage at the entrances and within the area

Couldn't see anywhere relevant to post this in the past few pages but let's talk about Pandamonium for a second...

Does this ride have the worst downtime between cycles? Sat here watching it for the last hour timing downtime. From unload of previous passengers to start of next cycle ... The ride is averaging 8 minutes between cycles. Six cycles an hour with 24 on each cycle makes it 144 capacity an hour. Anyone know what the manufacturer stats are for this model? 144 seems quite low and alternating between slow and fast means the slow lane is maybe waiting one cycle for a ride... While those in the fast lane are waiting 4-5 cycles. 

The claim isn't 8 min cycle, (dispatch to dispatch is how I think of a cycle), but rather 8 mins from unload to dispatch.

It doesn't really surprise me that on a given day it would be sub 150. I mean it takes 7 min cycles to get up to 200 an hour which would take a bit of doing with how that ride is set up. Most major flat rides are going to do something in the range of high 100s to about 350. Pandamonium has always been at the lower end of that number (Tailspin even lower than the bottom), whereas something like Claw can operate at the higher end.

The one you need to watch is capacity v popularity. Pandamonium (despite being a ride I have zero interest in) does seem to come out on the wrong side of that equation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Family of 4 locals passes to DW will now set you back $387 compared to $756 for the village parks. That's a BIG difference and considering the current state of MW, would make it very hard for people to justify a near doubling of the price.

Considering the recent discussions about people wanting to visit parks where 'safety and maintenance' are a thing - I guarantee the family man's wallet looks at that price difference and opts for Dreamworld, provided the park has enough to occupy the family.