Tributes flow for Dreamworld founder John Longhurst

Slick

As reported in the GCB, John Longhurst has passed away, aged 90. Most folks will remember John as the founder (and builder) of Dreamworld, responsible for literally carving out the rivers and buildings that exist today.

John was a visionary and will be missed. If you'd like to learn more about his legacy, I interviewed him a few years back and turned our chats into a three-part series which is, as far as I can find, still the best source online about how he built Dreamworld.

IMG_0050-2000px.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the vision and memories John that so many have enjoyed.  You were a truelly fascinating Aussie character worthy of more fame.

@Slick I only came across your article a few weeks ago, and it was such a great read.  I was going to reach out to you to ask whether we could petition John for a Biography or something.  Alas, too late.

It sounded as if there were many more interesting stories to John himself, let alone his creation of Dreamworld, that could fill a book.  His fascination with Walt Disney, which I only came to know through your article, struck a similar chord in myself.  I found your article after searching for some info on John other than the small details on Wikipedia.  I was sparked by learning that my step father installed the original conveyer belts on the Log Ride, and had a few good stories about working there.  Thanks for that interview mate, and I hope if you have any further details or insight that you'd make an update to the article!

Edited by Welshy

3 hours ago, RobMac said:

Come on DW.....time now for a statue of John at the entry please 👍

You know how I said that John didn't just do what Disney did, he understood why? Adding a statue is literally just doing something Disney do without really understanding why.

Given John's public statements of what he thinks of the park nowadays, I don't think them adding a statue is quite the grand gesture you think it is.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Put simply, he was a childhood hero. What he did with Dreamworld is clearly something only a very special person could achieve. 

To build a park that - adjusted for inflation - cost around $52 million in today’s money, is literally crazy when you think about it. With no real guarantee that it would even be popular. Granted, he had financial help from Keith Lord, but John was the driving force.

Australia’s Number 1 Tourist Attraction in 1987 cemented his legacy. Yet people discount what he did, which is unfair. 

The John Longhurst Dreamworld truly was a magical place full of character and warmth. It is a place that will always be dear to me. Thank you John. 

6 hours ago, joz said:

You know how I said that John didn't just do what Disney did, he understood why? Adding a statue is literally just doing something Disney do without really understanding why.

Given John's public statements of what he thinks of the park nowadays, I don't think them adding a statue is quite the grand gesture you think it is.

👎

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RobMac said:

He's deceased mate.....it'd be a statue in his memory!

And we’re saying he wouldn’t be interested in having his likeness out the front of the current Dreamworld. 

Multiple people now have explained their ideas and articulated them with a fair bit of reasoning and detail, and you’ve been pretty rude and disrespectful to those not aligned with your view. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slick said:

rude and disrespectful to those not aligned with your view. 

Which opens the door.

6 hours ago, RobMac said:

He's deceased mate.....it'd be a statue in his memory!

You're flat out wrong. The park isn't suggesting it. The family isn't suggesting it. Park fans who know the history aren't suggesting it. 

You've ignored every well reasoned argument to bang on about a statue that everyone else agrees he wouldn't want, but you think it's ok, because he's dead and wouldn't know? That's hardly honoring his memory.

• Like 5