February 2022 Weather Event

DaptoFunlandGuy

I've just left home to pick up my son from school early due to the weather, and in the time between when I left home and came back, the major road between us and the school went completely underwater.

I know we've seen weather events impact the parks and flood - in particular the movie world carpark, but also WNW, and the parks have announced closures previously - but I haven't seen anything today about them and just wondering if anyone has seen pictures or updates of what the parks are like today?

(obviously i'm not going to the park, just curious what its like - i was quite surprised the parks elected to open today considering the ongoing forecast...)

I don’t think the parks have closed because the weather hasn’t actually been to bad on the GC compared to Brisbane/Sunny Coast. I’ve been in and around Southport today and there’s been hardly any rain. And looking through social media at people who are at the parks, they don’t appear to have been impacted that much

• Like 1

One could argue that when talking safety, DW would have more risk associated than WWW in this weather. 

the reality would be WWW would be scarcely visited on a day like today so operationally it makes no sense to have it open as it would likely be running at a loss. 

when you mention safety as a reason, it calls into question why the main park is safe to operate. 

“Due to inclement weather” was all that is needed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

I find interesting that WWW was the only park closed today would of though at least W'N'W would of closed too?

i’m guessing it was due to the weather today and low expected visitor numbers they closed it but it’s easier to just say what they said instead. It’s a smart move, it’s been cold and raining all day so no one would’ve gone anyways

I strongly suspect that saying it's for safety reasons is to be able to stand staff down without paying them. Just for inclement weather = pay your staff, closed for health and safety reasons = don't pay your staff. It is unfortunately a industry standard thing to do.

WnW was open today, driving past I was surprised at how many people went. It wasn't busy obviously but the number of guests probably cracked a couple hundred which is crazy to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Damn… even Insert Park is closed today! 

998646A1-563B-46A5-AE4F-422DA29E6D57.jpeg

Why they opened today (any VRTP  property) is kinda surreal to me. 

I would have thought the safety of the workforce then guests was more important than rope drop. 

I know VRTP use a really good weather software program that predicts forecast rain, storm etc. 

Maybe I'm just more in the thought of trying to keep the workforce warm and dry. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Why they opened today (any VRTP  property) is kinda surreal to me. 

I would have thought the safety of the workforce then guests was more important than rope drop. 

I know VRTP use a really good weather software program that predicts forecast rain, storm etc. 

Maybe I'm just more in the thought of trying to keep the workforce warm and dry. 

I went to SW/MW today and 3 kids rides, battle boats and storm were open at SW, all exhibits bar SJ were also open. Vortex tested once, but that was it from the others. I only had 20 minutes in MW, but rivals and doomsday appeared to be the only things closed. Could see lights going down LT way.

Rivals and Doomaday closed along with SE, Batwing and WWF that was closed for maintenance. So only GL, JL, Scooby and kids rides. Not worth it.

And it surprised me they bothered opening at all and then once open, went yeah nah let’s close at 12.

I went to Carnivale last night and while they tried there best, I’m surprised it went ahead. The carpark was less than half full, Storm (Coaster) and some kids rides were the only thing consistently operating. All the food trucks were closed, so only a couple of the day food offerings were available. The light show thankfully went ahead and was pretty good, but no performers (They ahead in front of the entry) after the show ended.