Gumbuya World 2 coasters under construction

DaptoFunlandGuy

I figured this needs it's own thread rather than being buried in the retirement thread. 

Took a squizz at nearmap this morning and while most of the parts are still sitting in an industrial estate at Pakenham, a lone piece of track has shown up in Gumbuya World, which i'm pretty certain is Skyloop track... except it's GREEN!

Looks like a new theme for it's new home - let the speculation begin - what could they theme it like?

704A3332-F411-4ACA-AC5E-2DA4BA795158.jpeg

CD570BB7-2C34-4D8D-BA71-BBD479E23AE3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 3

Serious theme:

Steel Python
Bright green track repaint. Keep brown support structure. Track Looks like a green tree python (a native Australian animal) coiling itself around a tree. Suits Gumbuya World's overall park theme of the Australian outback and wildlife.

image.thumb.png.82a7e8cfc1225d855d6a764d23145973.png

Tounge-in-cheek theme:

Killer Python *presented by ALLEN'S*
Do a corporate partnership/ride sponsorship deal with Allen's Lollies. Originally an Australian company (suits the Aussie theme going on at Gumbuya). Lends itself to a perfect gift shop exit experience - the official certified Allen's lolly shop. "Brave the python. Eat the python!"

image.thumb.png.b5057db19bb76713c441e85e03a2f558.png

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rivals said:

does anyone know if any work inside the park has actually been started? you’d think atleast with the track arriving some work would’ve started

I wouldn't say that would need to be the case, it would be better for the park to store it in on-site rather than pay somewhere to keep containers of track off site. Pretty sure I've seen places have roller coaster tracks lying around for years before being put up.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say, with the first piece already on-site, it'll just be a case of waiting for each piece to get painted and trucked to the park. Given the paintwork already, I'd say it's likely we'll see an end of year opening. We saw how fast she came down, and we all watched it go up at Dreamworld, so they've got plenty of time.

I know Gumbaya obviously got a bargain for this coaster, but is it going to just end up an expensive paperweight? Obviously I can't speak for what was going on in the heads of the people who run the park but haven't they just inherited a maintenance nightmare? Or are they banking on the fact that the 'ride' part of the park is closed for 206 days of the year (yes I counted, I've got nothing better to do) to help allow them to do all the maintenance in that downtime so it's able to open when they're open?

A couple of things. The big one for me is what is the regulatory difference between QLD and the rest of the country since 2016?

The other thing is impact. A skyloop at big park is a bit of waste of effort, it's just filler. Take that same ride to a small park though that doesn't have stuff like GD/ToT and it's easily the most thrilling thing there. It's impressive enough to be the headline act. As much as I think DW need the filler right now, the headache might be worth it for Gumbuya in a way that it wasn't for DW.

Think of it this way, GL at MW is Sat between Superman and Rivals. It's filler. At Aussie World or really any park not on the Gold Coast it would be the headline signature coaster for decades to come.

BuzzSaw obviously had its issue while at DW, but part of its removal was the lack in popularity. This lack began shortly after river rapids because there was nothing else in what became a very small pocket within the park. If they had kept it; with steel taipan now open, do people think it would’ve been more popular? Maybe they could have spent some money properly fixing it and giving it a refurb to match the new aesthetic ST has. And maybe then it might have been more popular again. 

In saying all that, it didn’t happen and I think it’s a fantastic addition for Gumbuya.

• Like 2

Fair enough, I don't deny it'll be a winner in terms of pulling and pleasing people (that sounds ruder than intended lol) after all it's been absolutely ages since Victoria got a new (second-hand) roller coaster. I was just under the (apparently false) assumption that the ride had a lot of maintenance issues, here's hoping it doesn't and has a long life for the park!

There's a fun fact I used to enjoy back at the day at SW. For those that don't know/remember, Corkscrew and Pirate ship were a good 200 meter walk from the next closest thing. When Pirate Ship was closed, Corkscrew was busier as people would reride it more. When Corkscrew was closed, Pirate Ship was dead. I think about that a lot with ride popularity. Imagine what Doomsday's ridership would be if it was build within Superman's heilex? Vortex ridership numbers equally suck, but it'll be very interesting to see what happens when there's a critical mass of rides nearby; will ridership as a percentage of park guests go up or stay the same? Smart money would suggest it'll go up.

I have no doubt that Buzzsaw would have seen an uptick in popularity when ST opened. I doubt it would have ever been hugely popular, but people do tend to go to an area of a park and hit all the rides in that area together. If there's no draw to go to an area and stop there, people won't ride the filler. It's pretty much as simple as that.

That'll do for today's episode of guest ride popularity phsycology. In next week's episode I'll discuss why I think GD's ridership is quite low aside from its location, and why lower ridership on GD specifically is not actually a problem that needs fixing, and explain why Motocoaster being the most popular ride in the park does not make it good.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, joz said:

In next week's episode I'll discuss why I think GD's ridership is quite low aside from its location, and why lower ridership on GD specifically is not actually a problem that needs fixing, and explain why Motocoaster being the most popular ride in the park does not make it good.

Hi i'm from NordVPN and i'd like to offer to sponsor this episode. It'll make us a shit-ton.

@themagicianI don't know if this happened with Buzzsaw.  River rapids was a family ride & Buzzsaw is far from a family ride.   Families who rode the River rapids are unlikely to jump on Buzzsaw.

24 minutes ago, joz said:

and why lower ridership on GD s

Because it makes people poop their pants.  GD has to be one of the most intimidating ride to get on.

The real questions on everybody’s lips, if I ride the Skyloop coaster at Gumbuya World and I have previous ridden it at DW is it a new credit?

• Like 1

• Gazza changed the title to Gumbuya World 2 coasters under construction
  • rappa locked this topic