Gumbuya World 2 coasters under construction

DaptoFunlandGuy

@joz While reading your above post I was thinking about that concept with GD (and then you went on to mention it). Again since river rapids and then the removal of the log ride removal, this pocket of the park has reduced the queue lengths of GD. And to @New display name point, even though people went on those families rides, thrill seekers would follow it with GD. Maybe if they had built a link path between ST and GD it might have increased its popularity more, but it is certainly still the most intimidating ride at the park. I haven’t seen that rides queue reach the exterior shaded area in a long time. Maybe it’s the confusing pathways to actually get to it. But might also be because it’s some what of a dead end. If you’re riding it, your choice is to either continue to the animals or return to main hub of the park. 

Just now, themagician said:

@joz While reading your above post I was thinking about that concept with GD (and then you went on to mention it). Again since river rapids and then the removal of the log ride removal, this pocket of the park has reduced the queue lengths of GD. And to @New display name point, even though people went on those families rides, thrill seekers would follow it with GD. Maybe if they had built a link path between ST and GD it might have increased its popularity more, but it is certainly still the most intimidating ride at the park. I haven’t seen that rides queue reach the exterior shaded area in a long time. Maybe it’s the confusing pathways to actually get to it. But might also be because it’s some what of a dead end. If you’re riding it, your choice is to either continue to the animals or return to main hub of the park. 

I also think a large issue is just the reality that attendance isn't crash hot.

Buzzsaw's new colour is nice. I wonder what the theme will be?

GL is what you go on when the queue for Superman or Rivals is too long.

With GD it's got to do with what @New display name said, it's poop your pants scary. It's an event during the day. There is always someone in the group who is too scared to ride it, or someone who got talked onto going on it who didn't want to. The group will go on it once, and that'll be it for the day, once is satisfying with that ride. because once for most people is enough. Ride wise it's the closest thing to Bungy jumping, and few people want to do another bungry jump straight after doing one.

What it does though is it creates fun memories and stories 'Mark was too scared to go on it, but Rachel went on it anyway' or 'I got dragged on it and OMFG soooo scary!' That sort of thing is huge when people judge what the ride collection of a park is like. When someone asks what park has the scariest rides, GD helps DWs word of mouth. It doesn't matter that it's not got a huge ridership, a lot of people are just never going to ride it, the fact it's there (and visible af) is enough. Yes I think having other stuff around it makes a lot of sense, and it would see an increase in riders if you did, but it would be foolish to say something like 'GD has low ridership, should we think about selling it to Gumbuya?'

• Like 1

I think the last time I rode GD was with some mates, one of whom was quite petrified of it but would still go on it anyway. I think we rode it 4-5 times in a row because there was no queue.

I haven't ridden it since, primarily because I got grease or oil dripped on me from above on repeated rides and it ruined a good shirt and pair of shorts. It was like it was raining. 

And yes, amongst my friends, there are still a few who have not ever been on it, and having grown up with Space Probe in my figurative backyard - I just don't get it.

Every time I visited Dreamworld when I lived up there (and the one time I visited since moving to Melbourne) I always rode The Giant Drop but never more than once per visit. I agree with Joz that it's a memory maker, taking my missus on the ride (her first time on it) and hearing her scream "holy fuck!" just as the ride reached the bottom of the drop and it echo through the surrounding area and her getting embarrassed was pretty classic.

58 minutes ago, Cactus_Matt said:

hearing her scream "holy fuck!" just as the ride reached the bottom of the drop and it echo through the surrounding area and her getting embarrassed was pretty classic.

The number one reason not to install any sort of family friendly attraction next door.

• 2 months later...

Update for the BuzzSaw Relocation (@mittythemeparks Instagram): 

They have started vertical construction so hopefully this means it will be open by the end of the year, the official colour scheme is Green track with Charcoal coloured supports. 

D082D46F-B7E5-4EF8-82DE-A1605DA79D33.thumb.jpeg.9a54c9043d2d19a8609f42461a8fd3a0.jpeg 

85880A38-D8C9-435E-B3EF-D5B4741A3CDB.thumb.jpeg.ee05a0f80fc665213f22ce8b7a994a71.jpeg

A71AF1EE-CECE-4272-B8A4-B329818E6FEC.thumb.jpeg.e2a3f2ac9ef3333be79730ee46c3dedd.jpeg

any guesses for what the theme / name could be? i’m still going to guess it’ll have something to do with a Python or just snakes in general.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

25 minutes ago, Cactus_Matt said:

Not sure a green roller coaster is the best choice in an area that looks very nature-y, seems like it won't be very eye-catching against the backdrop, but whatever.

i’m guessing they probably went with the green to make it blend into the backdrop more.

for the name, i wouldn’t be surprised if it was something like ‘twisted python’ or just ‘python’. i will say i really hope the rides reliability won’t be as bad here. at dreamworld it had the advantage of it being unpopular and not the stand out attraction so when it was down it was really just a ‘who cares’ situation. But at Gumbya, it is the headliner and the biggest ride there, so hopefully it won’t be as unreliable or they have another ‘big ride’ coming soon.

Edited by Rivals

14 hours ago, Rivals said:

i’m guessing they probably went with the green to make it blend into the backdrop more.

for the name, i wouldn’t be surprised if it was something like ‘twisted python’ or just ‘python’. i will say i really hope the rides reliability won’t be as bad here. at dreamworld it had the advantage of it being unpopular and not the stand out attraction so when it was down it was really just a ‘who cares’ situation. But at Gumbya, it is the headliner and the biggest ride there, so hopefully it won’t be as unreliable or they have another ‘big ride’ coming soon.

Confirmed- AA to Gumbuya!! Gumbuya World is set to become the biggest buyer of ex GC coasters!! 🤣

image.thumb.png.cba197fb49678413ddec53113de11afb.png

1 minute ago, New display name said:

Somebody is buying a 27 year old coaster.🤣 

Yeah thats if we believe the veracity of the claim. Its not out of the question but from my understanding is that the track and train are in decent condition its the operating system that cannot be upgraded and is shot. The final point is that if it was economical for the park to get operating again, then MW would have already have done so. I would be interested to see if there is a way for the ride to be made operable again. Also it just says that the ride has been sold to another park. It could be that potentially the ride has been sold for spares for a park with another SLC?

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

from my understanding is that the track and train are in decent condition its the operating system that cannot be upgraded and is shot. 

I thought I remember hearing that the trains were causing extra wear and tear on the track, and that both the ride system and track would need to be fixed in order for it to be able to operate properly and safely?

29 minutes ago, fletch said:

I thought I remember hearing that the trains were causing extra wear and tear on the track, and that both the ride system and track would need to be fixed in order for it to be able to operate properly and safely?

I don't think India would care how much wear the track had.

Expo88 Boomerang is still operating in India.   (with newish (painful looking)trains))😵.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.thumb.JPG.295516935de409a7319d9c145e309791.JPG

Mate - it's literally a "fountain of improbability" and the backstory was based on reporting by bloggers that landscaping at Sea World would be turned into a fountain. Pretty sure TPSN among others reported the story as factual, and the fountain of improbability was born.

That is literally the perfect react to the news you posted. It's not doubting YOU, it's doubting the STORY.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Mate - it's literally a "fountain of improbability" and the backstory was based on reporting by bloggers that landscaping at Sea World would be turned into a fountain. Pretty sure TPSN among others reported the story as factual, and the fountain of improbability was born.

That is literally the perfect react to the news you posted. It's not doubting YOU, it's doubting the STORY.

Yeah ok fair enough!! It is highly improbable and the way I posted it was meant to convey that!! Will follow the story with interest though to see what develops!!

• Gazza changed the title to Gumbuya World 2 coasters under construction
  • rappa locked this topic