Mystery Red Sea Container at Dreamworld

Tim Dasco

Westfield indeed get too greedy and the owners of night quarter did not see it as worthwhile. Markets on that land next to DW could be pretty cool, but a lot of work would need to be done, especially to make the entrance fit in to the DW aesthetic so it didn’t look out of place when it wasn’t operating. So while it might be a cool idea, I don’t think it would work and if DW wouldn’t to continue with it more regularly, they could easily do it on random weekends throughout the year and maybe back it a park after dark thing 

3 hours ago, joz said:

If this ends up being a success I don't think it would be a totally silly idea to look in to doing a 'permanent' trendy food market on the old amphitheatre site and uncouple it from DW. Night Quarter proved there's an appetite for it on the Northern GC, and best case that land won't be doing anything for a few years anyway.

i wonder if this is the reason for the evening eats nights with no rides open and a seperate fee, this would also explain why it’s only 2 nights to trail to see if it is a good idea or not.

On 27/03/2022 at 7:41 PM, Cactus_Matt said:

I didn't realise places charged to enter food truck markets, I've only been to one and it was free to get in, but then again it was in Frankston (it's like the Nerang of the Mornington Peninsula for reference).

Entry charge to these food markets covers management, services (cleaners, etc), power, insurance, and the owner's profits.

Edited by Whombex

6 minutes ago, Slick said:

How was foot traffic @aussienetman

We were there from 11am - 130pm. Whole park quiet and really disappointed DW arnt getting more love atm. But in saying that, quite a few big busses parked in the carpark today and a bunch of big school type groups about. 

Sky Voyager walk on (both levels working - and still the best ride on the GC imo) Taipan walk on. Only real queue was for Gold Coaster and Vintage Cars.  Wiggles world looking extremely sad and needs some desperate attention. 

Park clean and beautiful looking. Gardens well maintained. Staff experiences great as usual. External Food vendors looked a little bored when we past through at 11. 

Dreamworld not doing much wrong atm imo. An updated kids area for the tiny ones would be a good investment given the really poor showing gold coast wide for the little ones and could help bring back the family's. 

• Like 4

On 27/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, Park Addict 93 said:

Evening eats info updated, Live Music & Entertainment as expected. They are now advertising you can enter the park for $5 Adults and $3 Child/Discount.

Website has been updated again to no longer mention the discount entry for Evening Eats, don’t know if they have eliminated the option or they don’t want to publicise it.

I thought I would add my thoughts on the event as I went last night with my family.

Firstly, yesterday afternoon was very rainy on the Gold Coast and so we weren't sure if it was worth going but decided to proceed. We arrived at 5:00pm and there was no line and we seemed to have caught the closing the park crowd and arriving crowd so did well at timing. I had pre purchased the Street Food Festival and so I went to Main Street and redeemed my Tasting Trail pass ($35 for the 5 + 2). 

When we first walked in the park the Cubano and Smokehouse was replenishing food so we walked up and down main street for the first 20 minutes while food was restocked. My wife got an Ice Tea ($7.50 and you couldn't use your annual pass discount) and I got a Strawberry Daquiri (with the tasting trail) which was actually very nice. 

I used the first 2 of my Tasting Trail options for the Cubanos and they could be tasted, they were actually really nice and the 'sample' size is very generous, both my wife and I loved the cubanos. Next I got the brisket slider and my wife got the french cheesy fries, the slider was delicious, the meat was so tender, however the fries were nothing special.

At this point I had used 4 of the 'dishes' and we had some of the poffertjes from the food truck, these were very nice and i think quite well priced ($15 for 20). I finished my drink selection off with a Mango Daquiri and my kids had a Kenny and Belinda Waffle. The tasting trail is a bargain, 5 food and 2 alcoholic drink options is a very good deal and so getting such a bargain was a highlight.

As to the evening itself I felt it was lacking in atmosphere. It was very quiet and by 6:30pm the park was a ghost town. The Mexican food truck didn't open at all and the Calamari Bros were shut by 6:00pm, which I think is pretty average when you consider they were only open late over 2 nights. 

Dreamworld had some live music on the stage but Kenny and Belinda didn't come out at all, which I thought was poor considering we weren't at the park during the day. I wouldn't say it was much of a success really, despite the fact that the park looks absolutely beautiful at night, especially Kickback Cove (I know there are mixed feelings about replacing Wipeout with a seating area, but for events like this Kickback Cove is just beautiful).

• Like 2

I went to the event yesterday, I had the tasting trail that gave me 5 and 2. Great value and everything I had tasted really really good. Portion sizes were great considering it was a ‘sample’. I think I’d they wanted to take to this to the next level, spreading the event out across a greater area of the park and great ‘zones’ of foods like they do in America (in particular Epcot), then that could really lift the event. Adding in a scavenger hunt where you’ve got to find all the Kenny’s with chef hats on through the park could expand the event also. For what it is, I think it’s a great offering. One thing I had some sort of issue with was, because they had all these food trucks and they want people to eat from them, they closed nearly all of the usual food outlets throughout the park. Which I get why, but why couldn’t they be themed too. Just reduce the menu’s and that expands the offering and gets people moving throughout the park.

Something I find a bit tacky is the temporary carnival games that got around the park. I’m generally against having them in parks, but I understand it’s a good form of revenue (MW and SW have had them for many many years). If DW are going to keep on having them, maybe they should build permanent ones like they have at the other parks. And if they were too, I’m thinking Ocean Parade would be the best spot. The area between Tailspin and Gold Coaster is such a dead/weird space now and I think installing them here would bring some to life to the area. If they have the burger place open more often, then people might get something to eat and then decide to play a carnival game or two. 

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I’m generally against having them in parks, but I understand it’s a good form of revenue (MW and SW have had them for many many years). If DW are going to keep on having them, maybe they should build permanent ones like they have at the other parks.

Agreed, I think they're tacky, but Kickback Cove would be a decent place to put them. Parents can chill out for 30 minutes whilst you give the kids a twenty to get them to bugger off for a bit.