Dreamworld Memorial Garden Open

themagician

There was no signage explaining anything. Each bench simply has each victims name on them. My guess would be the flowers and creatures on the totem pole might have some connection to each victim. 

Overall the area has been done quite nicely, the only down side was the little hut in the back left corner has a pump system running, which makes a moderate humming sound

Not to be a dampener on what sure is a ~gesture~ but how long 'til some idiots come along and steal those plaques on the seat because "hur hur that's my name, yoink". I don't think a garden like this, with seats, which people will no doubt loiter around and eat food at and make mess at is particularly smart. But then again maybe I just no faith in the general public.

I think that is a particularly dark view of things. I get it, but I think if you look at the world through that lense all the time, it's going to be a rough life.

Personally I'll hold off on proper judgement till I see it in person. Not sure what my opinion is of it just having seen photos. Is the whole thing a memorial or just the chairs, and if it's the whole thing what does it all mean? In photos it kind of looks more like a smoking area than a memorial garden.

On my visit today there was no indication that it was a memorial garden, other than the names on the chairs. I personally think there should be a plaque of some sort to explain the purpose of the garden so if people don’t realise they don’t leave a mess or ruin it. 

I was in the garden for 5 minutes or so, quite a few people walked past and I heard them mention ‘oh look at that nice garden’ but continued walking. I do think it’s been placed in the best location, which is pretty quiet and has the river beside it. 

30 minutes ago, joz said:

In photos it kind of looks more like a smoking area than a memorial garden.

Definitely looks like an ashtray surrounded by seating.  BUT the last I heard was the families were going to be involved in the design and if this is what they wanted, I am fine with it.

• Like 1

Wait a few people/groups of people said 'look at that nice garden' in response to seeing that within the space of 5mins?

That is just odd, I have never once heard a guest talk about how nice a garden in a theme park is and there are way nicer gardens at every park in the world than that. For that to be garden that inspires groups of people to spontaneously comment makes me think something is seriously missing from the photos.

@joz i think it was because I was stood in there. A wife said what’s down there, the husband said, it’s a garden. The wife said, oh that looks nicely done. Then they moved on. And someone else walked past, saw me and heard them also said to their partner, that’s a nice garden. So I’d say it was purely because I was in there, otherwise they probably wouldn’t have noticed.

• Like 1

Good on the park for sticking to its word for this garden and finally opening it. 

The non-smoking signs would be a good thing to add, maybe a small sign saying what the dedication is for also. 

I don't want to be the Debbie downer here, I'm not a massive fan of the style of seats tho. I feel like some sandstone or wooden carved special seats may have been a better choice. 

8 hours ago, Slick said:

What’s the significance/story of the totem pole and the flowers?

The Native Eagle Symbol is known as “The master of skies” and is a symbol of great significance. He is believed to be the creature with the closest relationship with the creator. Soaring to great heights, he can travel between the physical and the spiritual world. He is said to be a messenger to the creator.

Source, Google search. 

29 minutes ago, StingRay said:

The Native Eagle Symbol is known as “The master of skies” and is a symbol of great significance. He is believed to be the creature with the closest relationship with the creator. Soaring to great heights, he can travel between the physical and the spiritual world. He is said to be a messenger to the creator.

Source, Google search. 

Hopefully they didn’t use a Native American interpretation like your Google Search did.

I personally took it to be a Wedge Tailed Eagle - similar to 'Goldie', Could it be referencing Bunjil in Australian Aboriginal culture - the creator who took the form of a wedge tailed eagle? the link above also talks of six shamans who took the form of various birds and possums \ gliders - i'm keen to know what other animals are inscribed into the pole.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StingRay said:

I'm not a massive fan of the style of seats tho. I feel like some sandstone or wooden carved special seats may have been a better choice. 

The parallels are a bit too striking to ignore... it's almost as if the seats had slats that were spaced too wide apart... and they've filled in that spacing with a different material to make the seats functional... #toosoon?

Personally I think no smoking signs would be tacky. The park's smoking policy is made very clear in park maps, conditions of entry etc etc and unless the rest of the park is signed accordingly its too far. If It became a big problem - having smokers there - then perhaps staff should monitor or patrol but giant no smoking signs shouldn't appear in this space.

As for a plaque or a story to explain it - i'm with this guy.

14 hours ago, New display name said:

the families were going to be involved in the design and if this is what they wanted, I am fine with it.

Perhaps it is better that the memorial remembers the people, not the incident and the horrible things that happened to those people. 

Side note - I assume that the three chairs together are the Dorset\Goodchild family and Cindy's chair is the single one on the opposite side of the path?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent some time here in the garden reflecting today. I think it is tasteful and (for now) well maintained... Imo the speaker near the space should be turned off to allow those who want a quiet space to pay their respects needn't put up with Aussie bush music. 

I don't think it needs any more identifying information. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...