Size for rides at parks

Amylen

Hi all, 

Heading to the theme parks next week on my honeymoon and really nervous about my size being too big for the rides ! 

Anyone larger ladies with experience can give me some insight? 

Female, 165cms tall, carry weight on stomach/Thigh. 

Waist 109cm

Hips 140cms 

Size 20 Australia 

Really appreciate any info/experiences you can share. Been stressing about this for weeks! 

I'm assuming you mean 'gold coast' theme parks? Sorry - Parkz is often seen as gold coast centric despite all efforts not to be so I just wanted to check...

There have been a lot of changes to restraints in the parks in the past 6 years or so. Some rides that were previously not an issue now have shorter seatbelts or tighter locking positions than previously. 

And one ride to the other doesn't necessarily guarantee things either - for example despite being the same manufacturer a few years apart with what looks to be the same size seats, Rivals is far less forgiving than Steel Taipan for example. That said, Rivals is still far more generous than the Claw.

I know someone similar size to you (you're a bit taller) who doesn't have many issues with anything at the parks, so I'd say you'll be ok (except maybe the recent changes to MDMC). The worst ones I know of are Giant Drop, Claw and Vortex for larger folk, with Giant Drop being the most generous of the three. 

The good thing about giant drop is that it is an enclosed station, with only a handful of riders, so you can try there first with minimal exposure if you're worried about embarrassment. If you fit on giant drop without an issue, head for claw (and you won't need to worry about Vortex either)

The only other wildcard will be Motocoaster. I believe there have been recent changes to the harnesses, and they are less forgiving on the leg size than they used to be. It has a test seat near the queue entrance so you can give it a try before lining up, and that is fairly out of view too.

End of the day - you're there for a great time after getting married. Don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks and just give it a go if you want to go on the ride. I know several ride operators on the coast and they're all geared towards giving you the best day possible - they'll try everything they can to help you get on, and know all the tricks to get a harness 'one more click' so you can ride - so don't be afraid to jump on and give it a try. 

(lastly, since you're coming up next week - you're outside of peak periods, and midweek days aren't likely to be busy - so you can take your time without feeling rushed trying to fit in properly)

• Like 3

Have an awesome holiday and congrats on the wedding 😊

At Dreamworld, The Claw and Giant Drop will be your big tests. The Claw is the least friendly ride for bigger guests but does have a test seat out front. They also have a 'reported' weight limit on Sky Voyager but in all my times there Ive never been weighed in and never seen my other full figured pals be weighed either. 

Scooby Doo at Movieworld is a Scooby don't for those with large thighs and waist. You're best attempt to ride Scooby will be in the back seat. 

Those are the only ones we usually come across with difficulties that I can think of BUT the staff are always extremely accommodating and will do their best to help you ride safely... So I say give them all a go and have fun! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/3/2022 at 1:50 AM, Amylen said:

Hi all, 

Heading to the theme parks next week on my honeymoon and really nervous about my size being too big for the rides ! 

Anyone larger ladies with experience can give me some insight? 

Female, 165cms tall, carry weight on stomach/Thigh. 

Waist 109cm

Hips 140cms 

Size 20 Australia 

Really appreciate any info/experiences you can share. Been stressing about this for weeks! 

How did you go?? Have a great time? Any issues with rides?