TR: Six Flags Magic Mountain 27/8

mikrowave

After waking up, or rather being woken up by the TV at 7:30am, it was time to get ready for our first day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. After an enjoyable continental breakfast in the hotel lobby (it wasn’t too bad really, although I wasn’t really ready to eat such a huge assortment of donuts that early in the morning), we headed off to Magic Mountain at 9am. The park was opening at 10 but we wanted to get there early to be at the front of the queue going into the park. So after driving 15mins up the road we arrived to a welcoming of a bunch of coasters just waiting for me to ride. We joined the line waiting to get into the park and were let in at 10am. (we really didn’t need to get there early in the end, since we would soon discover just how un-crowded the park would be). While most people ran towards X, we headed over towards the back of the park with about 2 other people. We wanted to ride the dreaded “1 train coasters” before the lines got too long. The back of the park was so deserted; it felt like the park wasn’t even open. So we walked straight onto Batman The Ride and got front seat with the rest of the train completely empty. I’d been on Batman before but never in the front row so I was looking forward to it. Needless to say it delivered – it’s an awesome inverted coaster in my opinion, still great after 10 or so years. Next up was Riddler’s Revenge. Again there was absolutely no one in line and we walked on to another empty train, taking the front row. The last time I was on this coaster it was pouring with rain and absolutely stinging our faces, so it was great to have the front row in the sunshine this time around. Another excellent coaster, a lot of fun. While still in the area we headed over to Déjà Vu, another completely empty queue (see the pattern forming here). We walked onto the front row. I’d heard mixed reports about this coaster, and being not much of a fan of boomerangs or Vekoma in general I was a little wary at first. Well I actually really enjoyed it, the vertical lift hills are crazy and the ride is a lot of fun, not too rough at all. I did notice how slow it negotiated the Cobra Roll on the backwards journey tho; I can understand why these coasters have a tendency to valley. On exit I decided to brave Psyclone alone (or rather Psucklone), the worst woody I have ever had the displeasure of riding. It was so painful and rough, not enjoyable at all. Why I bothered to ride it is beyond me; I had already been on it a prior visit, but I guess I have to do everything at least once on a trip. So with a sore leg from bashing on the lap bar on Psucklone we walked up Samurai Summit. Ninja was still test cycling and we were told it would open in an hour so we made our way down to Superman The Escape. Again there was absolutely no line. It’s a fun ride, nothing new, but still enjoyable, although the launch seems fairly tame now in comparison to Xcelerator at Knotts. We then made our way back down the hill towards Scream. There still wasn’t a crowd at this end of the park so we walked onto the back row. It was a little bit rougher than your average B&M but still great (and a smooth dream compared to any other coaster manufacturer). The floorless trains are cool, but I think I prefer a normal sit-down train. There’s just something un-nerving about having my long legs dangle so close to the track flying by below. Next up was Colossus next door. There was no wait so we walked on to the middle of the train. It wasn’t the smoothest woody, but far better than Psyclone, and still a lot of fun, although it would be better if they actually opened both sides of the track and raced trains. Goliath was the next coaster to ride so we hopped in the 5min line (shock horror, not a walk-on!). The first half of the ride is rad, but after the mid brake run isn’t that great in my opinion. As for the actual brake run, they really have slammed on the brakes since I last rode. The train used to briefly trim thru the brakes but now it comes to an almost complete stop – very lame! The dreaded helix caused some pretty major tunnel vision, but I was expecting that so kinda enjoyed it in a weird way. By this stage it was starting to get pretty hot so we headed over to Tidal Wave to cool off. It was another walk on and a pretty tame ride, we didn’t even get a drop of water on us. Upon exit I hopped on Freefall, or what I like to call the pain machine of doom, nothing more to say on that. We then headed back up Samurai Summit and hopped on Ninja, another walk-on (I was loving the zero lines). It’s a fun ride thru the forest, although I don’t understand why it has OTSR’s, a lap bar would seem to suffice and be a lot more comfortable. While still in a forest coaster mood we headed down to Revolution next where we encountered a 5min line, only because they only had 1 train running. It was a little rough but I just love the layout thru some of the forest and terrain. We headed over towards Viper next, waiting 5 minutes in line. I used to love Viper but this time it just hurt me. It was pretty rough and the OTSR’s weren’t high enough for my tall ass so they placed painful pressure on my shoulders and collarbone. So after riding Viper we figured we would brave the only line of the day on X. We waited 40mins in the sun, but it was worth it. I wouldn’t say X is a great ride, it’s fun, but it’s just so weird, completely disorienting. It did cause some pretty harsh head banging as its not the smoothest coaster, and you really need to make sure your pockets are empty before boarding cos anything will fly out. It’s the only coaster I’ve been on that is so intense, it’s just amazing. I think you need to ride it a few times to fully appreciate it, but we couldn’t be bothered waiting in line again. So at this stage it was around 2pm and we had done all the coasters that were open, so we headed to the Mooseburger Lodge for lunch. The service was awesome, the food was great, and I discovered the best drink ever. I think it was called moose ale or something like that. We walked out with completely full stomachs and decided to go on Granny’s Grand Prix while walking past, the shortest kiddie car ride I’ve ever been on. I wanted to ride Scream again so we headed over there where I got 2 rides in with no wait. It’s a great coaster but could do with some grass below, it’s not so good flying over asphalt car park. We then went on Jet Stream, an enjoyable flume ride, to cool off. Afterwards I went on Ninja again just for the sake of it as there was no line. By this time it was around 5pm and we had done all we wanted to do so we caught the Orient Express down the mountain and left the park at 5pm. Overall it was a very cool day. Initially I had allocated 2 days at Magic Mountain for this trip but we were fortunate to go on a completely deserted day, and we wanted to get back to the Disneyland Resort where we still had 2 days left on our tickets so we left Valencia a day early.

Yep Paul, I just got back from my trip last week ;) stdragon03, I completely agree. There's alot of criticism thrown at Magic Mtn, but in my opinion it's a nice enough park (the only annoyance is the coasters only running 1 train, but on a non-busy day thats not a problem at all). I go there for the coasters; I get all my theming & atmosphere fix at disney parks, and as far as I'm concerned SFMM do a helluva job of providing great coasters. Plus I love the Samurai Summit area, probably my favourite part of the park as far as foliage & gardens go :D

Nah, 27th of August was actually a Friday (may wanna check that calendar again Bus ;)) As for Flashback, it's closed during the summer because it is right next door to the water park & it's supposedly too loud & distracts the life guards. I'd been on it before about 4 years ago anyway. Its a pretty weird coaster, not overly enjoyable, but different thats for sure.

Nebuchadnezzar is the name of the ship in the Matrix series, hence the question "What is the...?" The Nebuchadnezzar you are referring to was actually an ancient King not a God. I found this about him: King Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar was the king of the Chaldean (also known as the Neo-Babylonian) Empire (see Ancient Empires - Babylon). He was born about 630 B.C., and died around 562 B.C. at age 68. He was the most powerful monarch of his dynasty, and is best known for the magnificence of his capital, Babylon. From here. And this: "Modern research has shown that Nebuchadnezzar was the greatest monarch that Babylon, or perhaps the East generally, ever produced. He must have possessed an enormous command of human labor, nine-tenths of Babylon itself, and nineteen-twentieths of all the other ruins that in almost countless profusion cover the land, are composed of bricks stamped with his name. He appears to have built or restored almost every city and temple in the whole country. His inscriptions give an elaborate account of the immense works which he constructed in and about Babylon itself, abundantly illustrating the boast, 'Is not this great Babylon which I have build?'" Rawlinson, Hist. Illustrations. After the incident of the "burning fiery furnace" (Dan. 3) into which the three Hebrew confessors were cast, Nebuchadnezzar was afflicted with some peculiar mental aberration as a punishment for his pride and vanity, probably the form of madness known as lycanthropy (i.e, "the change of a man into a wolf"). A remarkable confirmation of the Scripture narrative is afforded by the recent discovery of a bronze door-step, which bears an inscription to the effect that it was presented by Nebuchadnezzar to the great temple at Borsippa as a votive offering on account of his recovery from a terrible illness. (See DANIEL.) He survived his recovery for some years, and died B.C. 562, in the eighty-third or eighty-fourth year of his age, after a reign of forty-three years, and was succeeded by his son Evil-merodach, who, after a reign of two years, was succeeded by Neriglissar (559-555), who was succeeded by Nabonadius (555-538), at the close of whose reign (less than a quarter of a century after the death of Nebuchadnezzar) Babylon fell under Cyrus at the head of the combined armies of Media and Persia. From here. "The Bus is is now leaving for Nebea, NSW"

Well there you go. Im quite flattered that you decided to research all that info about my name. I did name it after the ship in the Matrix and found out about this king afterwards. Surely I could have went for something like "Jim" or "The Claw" [the KMG/Durkin one, not the Intamin/Dreamworld one] but that would have been grossly unoriginal.