The sale of Main Event signals a logical end to Ardent Leisure's Dreamworld saga

Parkz News

“Expected increased in leisure spending” 

not if inflation and in turn interest rates rises continue the way they are. After the inflation results today they are saying a minimum 0.5% rise again to be announced next week, maybe even 0.75%. 

I can’t seen anything but a decrease in leisure spending, which is disappointing for the parks after what they’ve been through 

I can imagine the shareholders looking down the road at Movie World's packed car park and seeing dollar signs in their eyes then turning to their own park and wondering where that tumbleweed came from. Not trying to be negative because I have a soft spot for different aspects of both parks but I feel like (if trip reports and comments on here are anything to go by) Dreamworld would need to spend a lot of money to be equal to Movie World - at least on paper.

What I worry about more is if Dreamworld can ever fully recover and pull in crowds like Movie World does now. The real question is (and I don't think anyone has an answer for this short of surveying all of the Gold Coast and surrounding areas) is Dreamworld not as busy because of its ride offerings, or is Dreamworld not busy because the general public don't trust Dreamworld anymore?

Just now, Cactus_Matt said:

I can imagine the shareholders looking down the road at Movie World's packed car park and seeing dollar signs in their eyes then turning to their own park and wondering where that tumbleweed came from.

I'd genuinely love to see their books because whilst Movie World is pulling in the crowds the general gist seems to be that guest satisfaction is fairly low and they're needing to spread the profits of a single season pass across 4 properties versus Dreamworld's one and a half properties. Their controversial attraction removals have allowed their operations to be far more efficient which helps them out when it comes to staffing and maintenance plus their weekend markets seem to be doing alright. 

I don't think Dreamworld will be Australia's first choice for a long unless some serious marketing is done, but I don't really think they're that envious of the properties down the road. I feel Dreamworld has offloaded a lot of their weight to allow them to navigate the market easier in the future.

9 minutes ago, RobMac said:

DW really needs a new "log ride" type water based attraction. [Seaworld too for that matter].

I feel like the SW log ride will come way before the DW log ride, if it was a classic log ride type of ride, i can't see Dreamworld adding one until their reputation is very high again. I could however see then adding a mack water coaster though, or a mack power splash. If they were to go with the power splash, i don’t think it would be added until the ABC Kids World refurb. 

By the sound of it their next addition is well underway and may come as early as end of next year. 

Dreamworld used to have a "Big Nine".

1. The Claw
  2. Tower of Terror
  3. The Giant Drop
  4. Pandamonium
  5. Cyclone/Hot Wheels/Gold Coaster
  6. Motocoaster
  7. Buzz Saw
  8. Wipeout
  9. Tail Spin

Now..

1. The Claw
  2. The Giant Drop
  3. Pandamonium
  4. Gold Coaster
  5. Motocoaster
  6. Tail Spin
  7. Steel Taipan

For me to buy DW passes for my family, I would want 1 more "Big" ride, ideally a Coaster since the list is missing Buzz Saw and the intense speed/thrill from ToT.

The loss of TRRR and RH also plays a part but for my family I can look past it, for now.

6 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Dreamworld used to have a "Big Nine".

1. The Claw
  2. Tower of Terror
  3. The Giant Drop
  4. Pandamonium
  5. Cyclone/Hot Wheels/Gold Coaster
  6. Motocoaster
  7. Buzz Saw
  8. Wipeout
  9. Tail Spin

Now..

1. The Claw
  2. The Giant Drop
  3. Pandamonium
  4. Gold Coaster
  5. Motocoaster
  6. Tail Spin
  7. Steel Taipan

if you look at the major rides lost (ToT, Buzzsaw, Wipeout), they were all very unreliable rides no matter how good they were (excluding buzzsaw.) I would prefer having a more reliable, stable line up with a major coaster (current lineup) compared to the old line up which consisted of unreliable rides including their #1 coaster which was down more then open. Sadly i don’t think the GP see it this way.

Edited by Rivals

18 minutes ago, Rivals said:

if you look at the major rides lost (ToT, Buzzsaw, Wipeout), they were all very unreliable rides no matter how good they were (excluding buzzsaw.) I would prefer having a more reliable, stable line up with a major coaster (current lineup) compared to the old line up which consisted of unreliable rides including their #1 coaster which was down more then open. Sadly i don’t think the GP see it this way.

Benefits of an annual pass, I don't really care about reliability, I just visit when I want, how long I want.

One of the things that turned us away from DW on our last visit is we knew we got access to a water park with the VRTP pass, whereas the WWW access was weekends only, and therefore was just going to mean bigger crowds which didn't interest us.  We also felt the kids area has gotten a bit light-on, and one of our kids is really in to Paw Patrol.

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

I feel like the SW log ride will come way before the DW log ride, if it was a classic log ride type of ride, i can't see Dreamworld adding one until their reputation is very high again.

And I think that, in of itself, is part of the problem. Whether that reputation is "Dreamworld not safe" or "Dreamworld has no water rides" they kind of just need to bite the proverbial bullet and do a new water based ride and be damned to all the ~bad press~ that'll come from people saying "too soon". I've lived in Melbourne for 12 years now but for the 22 years I did live on the Gold Coast I visited Dreamworld dozens of times a year (when I was old enough, obviously), and I can't imagine the place as being enjoyable to people like me (who don't do water parks) on the kind of hot Summer days that make up such a big part of life on the Gold Coast. I can't speak for everyone (because there are people who do like visiting the adjacent water parks) but a theme park not having a water ride is pretty much a deal breaker for me - especially in the Queensland climate.

• Like 4

Take the fight to MW like they did in the day. Announce the (not a) response to WoO (as New Atlantis isn't is the time frame, having likely fully opened over the next year).

I don't know what DW have in the pipeline, but after Steel Taipan, it should be family / mild thrill.
Still keen on them doing a good sized track or trackless dark ride. After this, another big thrill.

• Like 1

The next move that DW (Dreamworld) I’m sure will be geared towards families. We have to remember this park is geared more towards families and the classic spin and spew. Movieworld is more geared to high thrills. 

A Mack Powersplash would be a great addition. I have a feeling tho they won't go for that. The park is missing a nice dark ride to some IP. A form of a spinning coaster would be a good addition and even a log ride replacement. The old log ride area is clearly have land resettlement, it's an area that would be utilized for another log flume. 

As we know they definitely competed strongly with MW back in the day. And why would people choose DW over MW back then? Pretty much it was because of the large ride line-up. We've got the opposite situation now where the line-up is absolutely lacklustre. Glad to see the owners are acknowledging the need for new rides and attractions. Can't come soon enough. And I'm definitely a +1 for new water ride/s

• rappa locked and unlocked this topic