Legoland refurbishment permit filed Dreamworld

Tim Dasco

Dreamworld recently filed a permit for a refurbishment of “Legoland”. Now this was only submitted last month and the refurbishment of the Lego store happened late last year I believe. So my question is what could this be? 

My guess based on pure speculation is that we could see at some stage ABC kids world or Dreamworks rethemed to Legoland. As much as I love dreamworks as someone who grew up with the IPs they are starting to date. Pure speculation on my behalf.

7FB143C1-FF73-4765-9F7C-045FE246BD1F.thumb.png.ac2878012adb804ebba34ef9b23a3781.png

• Like 3

i’d say ABC kids world will be getting refurbished to ‘Legoland’ with the old Big Red Car attraction building being used for a new lego dark ride, and the rest of the rides  (besides maybe Play school Wheel) will be ripped out and replaced.

pure speculation though, im pretty sure there was word a while back about a refurbishment of the area

I really hope it’s for the abc kids area and they bring us a great family dark ride based around LEGO. Maybe a shooter ride like they have in Legoland. That entire area is so tired and old and needs to be completely demolished and started fresh. If needed they could potentially take the billabong restaurant as well and utilise that space. Dreamworks is still a great area and I don’t think it really needs any work done to it (unless the contract has come to an end)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, themagician said:

If needed they could potentially take the billabong restaurant as well and utilise that space.

there was a comment on facebook about the Billabong Restaurant the other day, and they did make it sound like it’s coming back… however, it could just be a standard response🤷‍♀️

45C03142-E3B3-4800-B166-04B5931ADE71.jpeg

Personally I am a little skeptical that this isn't just the legacy building permit from when they redid the Lego Store at the end of last year. I also don't think there are any 'Lego Worlds' in any theme parks around the world, I believe they are all stand alone parks. 

Having said that, if this is true it's a home run for Dreamworld
+ Indoor attraction in the Big Red Car 
+ Rebrand the wheel
+ Open a Lego cafe
+ Add some more toddler rides in (there are some really good toddler rides out now and a toddler sized rollercoaster similar to Spongebob at Seaworld) 

At the time the refurb was announced (I believe it was in a conference call in 2019) It was heavily rumoured that Bluey was part of the refurb.

1 hour ago, Vidgamer said:

Personally I am a little skeptical that this isn't just the legacy building permit from when they redid the Lego Store at the end of last year. I also don't think there are any 'Lego Worlds' in any theme parks around the world, I believe they are all stand alone parks. 

however it does say the document was approved on the 17th of last month, and the refurbishment to the store was done i think at the end of last year, so i don’t think it would be about the refurbishment as it would’ve had to been approved months ago (unless i am reading this wrong).

if it is in fact an area refurbishment for ABC kids, a Zamperla kids roller coaster, the same model as the Daddy Pig roller coaster in Florida would work well, especially since it doesent take up a lot of space and could go where the fun maze is.

Edited by Rivals

The ABC area getting refurbed makes sense, but part of me thinks it may be too small for a "Legoland". Dreamworks getting the Lego retheme (with maybe a couple new rides/replacements) would probably be a better fit. 

Plus Lego doesn't really fit the demographic. If they want a land for the younger kids Bluey would be much better for it.

Edited by OgreMagic

If one was to retheme ABC kids world into Lego there is a lot that could be done to bring life to this area of the park. Remove the Fun maze and the sad tiny Tea cups ride, the Rock N Tug and ferris wheel can be moved around as needed. BRC ride can be gutted, and you have the surrounding area of the TOT station and Billabong. Also could work MDMC into the theme. See Red outline could be an entire "lego land".

1816568147_ScreenShot2022-04-25at9_16_52pm.thumb.png.068c98201e8190dd4e5fa14ce0946912.png

Re theme MDMC as some sort of Lego racing coaster (Market as a family coaster). Put a new trackless Lego themed dark ride or (Vekoma Mad house in the old BRC ride building. (Might need to expand the building back. Then buy a few new flat rides,  a large Tea cups (Or even the Mack Twist N Splash version) and a Zamperla Telecombat ride (Think Dumbo) and maybe a new kids drop tower think Loopy Light house or even a small kids coaster see spongebob. Bamn you have a great family / young kids area perfect for the families. Then reopen Billibong as some sort of Lego food outlet. 

Realistically all of that should cost no more than $20 million and you have given new life to that entire chunk of the park. With a very popular IP. 

See video for Vekoma Mad house themed to Lego.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Remove the Fun maze

As much as I'd love to see more attractions, I think our parks really lack things for toddlers to do. The fun maze was where my nephew spent like 75% of his day cause he could just run around care free and it takes a lot of pressure off the parents. I'd love to see more simple areas where toddlers can just play like a Duplo play area or something like that. Otherwise, everything you've suggested is great!

17 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Dreamworld recently filed a permit for a refurbishment of “Legoland”. Now this was only submitted last month and the refurbishment of the Lego store happened late last year I believe. So my question is what could this be? 

It's the refurbishment of the Lego store.

• Like 1

@Tim Dasco

1. A consortium purchased Merlin and one company that is a major part of the consortium owns Lego.  (somebody please correct me if I am wrong)

2. The issue is, would the other 2 consortium members be happy Merlin competing with DW, on a product it already has an IP partnership with?

Edited by New display name