Wipeout

Inverted

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching it, you almost get the impression that the 'lock' on the Gondala is worn out. The thing just slides all over the place, and more then once last week I noticed the Gondala didn't even get upside down on the last part of the cycle. Still a good ride, she just rattles a bit in her old age. Though I guess it is a Vekoma ride, so you get that.

Yeah, it has been my choice of flat ride for a few years now, I only go the goldcoast every couple of years so its hard to tell if the ride is getting old or not. Still a top ride though, and cant wait to ride "The Claw", I may just change my favorite flat ride after all. Anyways any footage of the ride would be great, I was trying to explain to a friend who has never been to Dreamworld that the rides arms can go in both directions, and he was saying that all top spins have the arms locked together. I just need onride footage to prove my point, (also cause i would just love to see it in action again, I find it amazing to watch.)

This was part of a conversation between me and several ride-ops about Wipeout's situation. Basically it wont do certain spins (especially the quick high-roll at the end) because the weight on each side isn't shared and to make a spin would cause too much hydraulic pressure. Also, the docking problems are back, even though Dreamworld has gone through quite a lot of difficulty to reduce the problem. What happened (and this was on Saturday) was as it came back into dock, the ride-op (a great guy that I know well) tried the button to release the harnesses on the WipeOut gondola but it failed to release. About a minute later, and engineer jumped on the wipeout and jumped up and down on the gondola till it was in position.

I viewd the wipeout a few times during my day on saturday, most of the morning the wipeout did not do its flips at the end, or the hang b4 it, it just levels out. However this isnt a recent thing, many times over the past few years(its a regular occurence.) Nearly ever cpl of times i go to dreams the wipeout has the flip problem. I for one think we should get a new cycle happening (one of the other 6-or 7 it has) (but we all know, when a new cycle is put into action, it always breaks down.) All together ive been on three cycles, the normal and xtreme world, where both years they had a differnt cycle.

When it broke down a few years back, I believe its gear box on one side screwed up. Aparently the noise that it made was so loud it was heard from the other side of the park. Thats also why it was closed for a while, they had to get the part sent from O/S. (I think it was closed for 2-4 weeks) cant remember it was ages ago.

• 1 month later...

well, went to d/world yesterday and the wipeout is completely in bits.. "annual maintenance". Hopefully this should get rid of most of the problems mentioned above. Shame though - i loved that ride and there was a chorus of "awwwww" when we saw it was dead at the entrance gate. Claw made up for it though. well and truly.

I remember a few years back now something about the wipeout breaking down with people still on it, and they were stuck for a few hours or so, does anyone know what happened cause I only remember hearing about it, never saw anything on it.
I was one of those people. It was the first ride of the day. We got stuck at the point where it locks and tilts backwards. Luckely I was only on my back, but the people on the otherside were layin face down! Mwa hahahaha Screammachine

• 2 weeks later...