Seaworld's New Atraction-what do you think?

scott

I wanted to know what you thought of seaworld deciding to build another seal exhibit.I reckon there starting to loose the meaning of theme park.The park already has enough animal exhibits,and Seaworld has decided to take away it's fastest ride just for some more seals.Come on seaworld,you need more rides and rides of a higher quality than just a huss pirate ship and an old corkscrew. :(

Well, It is sea world so I guess thats what the park is all about, the sea. Nobody really missed the thrillseeker, it was very similar to Metropolis at LPM, Diamond Python at MMM and Tiapan at the show. But then again, I dont know how good a seal exhibit will be at getting people from interstate to come to SW when they could probably see it at a zoo in their nearest capital city. It also makes me wonder why the put on planet SOS 3D when those living in Syd or Melb could just go to Imax. SW should look to add some more rides eventually. But if SW do a good job on this it will be a good addition to the park.

I dont know how many times myself or Joz are going to have to repeat ourselfs. DREAMWORLD =Thrill park Movie World =Theme Park Sea World =Aqua Animal Park WNW=Water Park And incase you dont know WARNER VILLAGE 3 park pass is so you can experience 3 different WORLDS. So no Seaworld will not get Big rides and thats the way I like it, can you imagin if all the parks were the same it would be great for the coaster geeks but bad for the general public.

Couldm't agree more mate. I personally like the idea of seals shores as it would really make the general public realise Sea world's approach to conservation and the fact that they have dolphin cove, polar bear shores, shark bay, it just sounds like it is only going to get better. Next thing you know they'll have unknown claw species cove. (joke intended, it sucks having the flu.)

Yes,rabid,I do realise that seaworld is a marine park,but that's no reason for seaworld not to have more rides,or at least rides of a better quality.The few seaworld's in america have a much better selection of rides.If seaworld wanted to pose as a marine park that strongly,then they wouldn't have brought in any rides at all.Gazza is right,it's rides that bring the people up north.

Seaworld Orlando (Generally considered the best) has all of two rides (not counting Wild Artic, since the ride portion sucks so much). Kraken, which according to some is the best coaster in the world, if not the best floorless. Journey to Atlantis is a well respected Water Ride. Seaworld Australia has a good (by Aussie standards) Roller Coaster, not one but 2 decent water rides, 3 transport rides & kids rides. Seaworld Orlando has no transport, flat, or kiddie rides. To me that sounds like we've got more rides here. Strangely the area that the American Seaworld's rule is the animal exhibits area. There's no animal display we have which doesn't have an equivalent displayed at a US Seaworld. They've got Bulga Whales, Killer Whales, Manatees, Birds, and even cats and dogs. Then your trying to tell us that we should be more like the American Seaworld's by building more rides? Riiiight. I'm all for this new attraction. The reality is folks that this isn't another Seal enclosure, its a replacement Seal enclosure. Exhibit design has come along way in the 20 something years since the current exhibit was built. The current exhibit is also very old, and I can tell you is not looking the best on the inside. Also the space inside is not very well designed. From a health and safety perspective, there's Confined Space, not much ventilation, and low roofs. There's also a sizeable area that is not accessible but is prone to having small objects (Balls, Sunglasses) fall down. Also moving Seals in and out can be an ordeal, since between the two different sides there is a narrow, dark hallway, which Seals don't always want to go into. This new one gives the park an opportunity to do some very important things. This new exhibit will have better environmental enrichment, making life for the Seals better. It'll also have better viewing for guests. The argument against this is like being against Dolphin Cove since there was already somewhere to do a Dolphin show. There's no way this is anything other then a good thing. The added bonus is that if its being built somewhere other then its current site (as is my understanding) then there will be room to expand Cartoon Beach, which could really do with the extra space. Seaworld will build a new ride eventually, in the meantime just sit back and enjoy the new attractions we're building for next year.

Sea World has added solid animal exhibits for the past eight years. The closest to adding a new major ride was 10 years ago with the retheming of what is now Bermuda Triangle. Strangely enough, attendance keeps increasing. Attendance this year is up 10% on last year with Shark Bay and Planet SOS. It works, so why would Sea World go a different way? They're trying to sell Three Park passes more than anything else because it locks you in their properties for at least four days, in which time you buying souvenirs and food. Three completely unique parks sell a lot better than three variations on a theme, so to speak.

I have to say that for the first time I completely agree with Scott's original post. I do think it would be nice if Sea World would continue to keep a balance between rides and animal attractions, rather than just focusing on one or the other. When I was younger the main reason I went to Sea World was for the rides. Lasseter's (now Bermuda) and the flume were 2 of my favourite rides anywhere. For me the animal exhibits helped to create a nice atmosphere and if anything were more of an attraction for the parents. Over the last few years they have added so many new animal exhibits - isn't it now time for another ride? But as Rich said if the parks attendance is continuing to grow (which surprises me as I thought Aussies were more ride lovers rather than animal lovers) then I guess there's no need to change the formula which seems to be working

For me the animal exhibits helped to create a nice atmosphere and if anything were more of an attraction for the parents.
Bingo, we have a winner :D Don't get me wrong, I do want too see new rides at the park. I, just like everyone else on here, have ideas on what rides would work best at the park, and where they should be. The thing is that animal attractions are in at the moment, and this new Seal Enclosure is something that the park needs anyway. Really, the current exhibit is too Animal Exhibits what Thunderbolt was too RollerCoasters. Something that was very good in its day, but now really outdated past its use by date. Plus it will more then likely allow Cartoon Beach that little bit of extra space to grow. That has been a popular addition to the park and expanding that will be of great benefit too the park. I think both these projects are more important then building the next big ride.

i agree with both sides of the argument (impossible?) The new seal enclosure will enrich the current experience already felt at Sea World. i also agree that the park could do with a new non-animal attraction. Look at what dreamworld is doing - it has tigers and the AWE to try and balance out its GA demographic. it is also trying to compete with Warner Village by offering an animal experience as well. Warner don't need to dump new rides into SW because that is why they have three parks. But anyway... yes, seaworld could benefit from a new ride. as discussed in another thread, where would it go? there is very little room left in the parks grounds to fit another ride, unless it were to weave in and out over the pathways etc. yes it works in other parks, but that isnt what seaworld is about. the only thing that really wanders over the pathways is the monorail, which is more for the views from the monorail than a lack of space thing. (i considered the skyway but it doesnt really go over the pathways much). Let them build a new seal enclosure. after swimming with the sharks today, I am very impressed with what SW is doing with their animal exhibits, and this is for the benefit of the keepers and the animals as well as the GP. a new thrill ride would draw crowds, but the crowds that it would draw would depend on the adrenalin rating of the ride, and the wishes of most of the people here would be a top thriller, which targets a very small market. one of the people i travelled up here with suffers severe motion sickness, and couldn't even handle the seaworld pirate ship. he still paid more than $200 in admission to visit all 4 parks during our stay. he enjoyed the animal shows at SW, the movie magic and stunt shows at WBMW, he enjoyed the wave pool and calypso beach at WnW, and the big brother house at dreamworld... thats it. no more.. not everyone is an adrenalin junkie. a top thriller is a great boast for the park that owns it, but its a very narrow market when you consider the demographic that the 4 parks are attempting to target... and that is 4 year olds to 94 year olds... and older if they're game... ;) See y'all when i land in Sydney... Alex.

Yeah your right. They need to cater for every person that enters the park. Because what if (and this happens alot) is that the mother likes going to these places (TP's) but dosen't like the rides with the rest of the family loves them. They need something so everyone can get something out of their day at their complex.

okay,I've changed my mind a little. Alex is right,not everyone is as much of a thrill nut as us,but a ride would boost the influx of visitors, especially with a new exhibit.Can't we have both?
Wait a minute... say that again... "Alex is right" lol its not often i hear that. im sure SW will look at another mechanical attraction in the near future... give it one or two years... we shall see. It will definitely have me back there again.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have much knowledge on this and i know its an old post but hey who cares. I think that Seaworld should use the area where they currently have that "Search for the golden Seal show" and build the new seal rocks there. i mean from what i can tell, this area is pretty large, they can then change the show to one like fools with tools which they have at San Diego Seaworld. The current show isnt the best i thin, they need to get a better theme and more props. Just a thought as i think it would be a bit of a waste if they were to build something on the old coaster site as that is valuable space that should be used to build another attraction. I also think that Seaworld should get a killer whale or extend there polar bear shores and have the whole artic theme like san diego again, have wallarus and pengiuns here but hey this will never happen, or will it!!!

• 8 months later...