Support sizes on B&M's

Nebuchanezzar

I was sitting there happily minding my own business browsing through pictures of Drachen Fire & Oblivion earlier tonight. I looked at Oblivion, and said, "god dammit, those supports are really thin". I looked at Drachen Fires supports, and said, "they're reasonably sized for the track size. I took another look at Oblivion, and I was looking at the catwalk area on top of the lift hill towards the drop area, and they were really really really thin! I couldnt help but wonder, if anyone here knows why Oblivion, and some other B&M's (Kraken is another example, when you keep in mind its filled with sand, which would make the otherwise rather heavy track a lot heavier.) supports seem so thin compared to other roller coasters. Is it because they're made from stronger materials, or their somehow put into magically formulated spots so that they dont have as much strain, or is it because B&M are just masterful at their game?

The places you were looking at dont have to support heavy loads due to high G forces, for example, at the top of the lift on Oblivion the cars would only be exerting their weight times 1 because there are only normal g forces at the top (1g) while it is slowly going around the turn. I can gauruntee that the supports deep in the tunnel would be big because they are supporting the cars weight times 4 because the cars are exterting 4g force on the track. Basically, the more force being exerted on the track, the bigger supports you will need. Maybe Rich should try explaining if my explaination wasnt good enough.

Im not sure whether that part would have sand filling anyway, they would only do it on parts where high speeds that create noise are involved. Well anyway, the supports must do it justice, since it hasnt fallen over, you would ve suprised how strong some things can be, cylinders are pretty stong things.