Moonlight Night Markets

Guest 239

Dreamworld has announced a new night market on property starting June 10th. Looks like a good time for those staying at the Gold Coast and locals. 

http://moonlightnightmarket.com.au/

A couple of things from scrounging the website:

• Rides wont be open.
  • Starts 5 PM and finished at 9 PM every Friday and Saturday night with no end date which assumes that this is a permanent offering for the time being.
  • Entry is basically a gold coin donation, but season pass holders and day guests get in for free.
  • Seems that the festivities will start at 5 PM after park close, but those within the park will be able to stay within for kick ons. 

In my opinion this is a great move for the park. Despite rides being closed, it allows you to kick on with your night without having to battle traffic back to Surfers on weekend nights whilst also giving an alternate option to having drinks/food at Top Golf after a park day. Why rush back into the city when you can stick around, have some drinks, and absorb some atmosphere? 

I'm excited to see how this goes. Thoughts?

• Like 4
  • Love it! 1

16 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Surely just open ST... you only need 2 employees right? What a waste. 

Plus additional security, first aid staff, maintenance staff, ops managers etc etc. 

Operationally and logistically it’s not that simple.

The park is being used as a location of a market, for all intents and purposes, it’s not a theme park for those hours as the park isn’t operating as one. 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 1

Nah, if you're going to open any ride, make it Claw. It's right in the middle of the action, and screw letting people ride ST for $2.

It's not something that gets me excited, but its one of those 'makes sense' kind of things.. I'm fascinated by the extent to which they're pretending it's not Dreamworld running it, or even at Dreamworld. The FAQ has a Q. 'Where are you and it lists the Address, then almost begrudgingly in brackets says 'yes at the Dreamworld theme park'. I get not saying DW because no rides, but it's very peculiar to me.

To Moonlight means to have a second job, typically at night and typically secret. I wonder if calling it 'Moonlight Markets' is deliberate.

• Like 2

To me, this seems great. I think they want this to be completely unrelated to Dreamworld other than the venue, which I think is an interesting move. By my understanding they also removed Park After Dark references from the DW website, which makes me think this is a sort of replacement all year round. I'd love to see how popular it is after the grand opening and the "hype" has died down a bit.

4 hours ago, Dom said:

Entry is basically a gold coin donation

I think this move is a bit strange. A $2 coin seems oddly specific and I can't see why they have this. Anybody know a reason? Surely $2 doesn't pay for operational costs.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I think spring would have been a better launch window with the warmer weather.

I agree. The announcement/launch does seem a bit rushed (maybe because they are selling Main Event?) and I think it's a bit strange launching it during winter.

Nevertheless I think it'll overall be a good new addition.

14 hours ago, joz said:

I'm fascinated by the extent to which they're pretending it's not Dreamworld running it, or even at Dreamworld.

Somebody brought up a great point in another thread that if they use the Dreamworld name then it changes the expectation. 'Moonlight Night Markets at Dreamworld' or 'Moonlight Night Markets by Dreamworld' would imply that there are attractions open, etc. where as this allows them to separate it without having to constantly telling people there are no rides. 

Judging by the marketing it seems like they really want to make this an adults hang out to rival Top Golf and the likes. Rides and alcohol just creates too many issues to bother doing on such a regular basis in this market.

1 minute ago, New display name said:

DW's holiday event must have been more successfully than I thought it was, for DW to continue with the idea.

The food festival mystery red shipping container was pretty popular when I was there. It's especially nice to have options other than burgers, hotdogs, chips and pizza after a week of theme parks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

was pretty popular when I was there. 

Did not go so I can only go by what I read.

On 10/04/2022 at 3:18 PM, Vidgamer said:

It was very quiet and by 6:30pm the park was a ghost town. The Mexican food truck didn't open at all and the Calamari Bros were shut by 6:00pm, which I think is pretty average when you consider they were only open late over 2 nights. 

The after hours event was closed when I went. I can only speak for how it was received during the day, but its interesting considering that feedback that they would proceed with an after hours offering. I guess crunching their numbers and factoring the overhead, they must be able to make back a pretty penny even with relatively low crowds.

It's almost zero cost - the food trucks should be fairly self sufficient (or just requiring a little 'shore power') and would have the opportunity to make a buck. No doubt the park would receive a share of sales, so charging $2 at the gate is just to discourage 'having a look-ers' who don't spend any money. Provided they can keep up the numbers required to attract the good food trucks this should do well.  I'd like to see them do more than just food in a market environment, but how much they can do when it literally switches from theme park to market at 5pm, i'm not sure.

[quote]If this ends up being a success I don't think it would be a totally silly idea to look in to doing a 'permanent' trendy food market on the old amphitheatre site and uncouple it from DW. Night Quarter proved there's an appetite for it on the Northern GC, and best case that land won't be doing anything for a few years anyway.[/quote]

That was my original comment on this back a month ago, and it is still my opinion. That way you could do it more legit than bumping the thing in and out every weekend. I get wanting to use park infrastructure, but really the most expensive bit of infrastructure you need is power which would surely already be run to there, and a concrete slab. Everything else is pretty minor. I do hope that's the vision for the medium term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New display name said:

@DaptoFunlandGuywould you drive from Brisbane to DW for 10 food stalls when you can go to Eats Street with 70 stalls.

I don't think they're trying to entice the Eat Street crowd to come to Coomera - rather they're targeting those already in the area, and those visiting the theme park to encourage them to hang around.
We've actually had threads on here suggesting MW do a similar thing - offer something that encourages day-guests to stick around at Oxenford post-5pm, potentially have dinner on-site before heading back to the hotel a little later, once the traffic is gone. 

This targets that market, and I think it will do it quite well...

32 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I don't think they're trying to entice the Eat Street crowd to come to Coomera - rather they're targeting those already in the area, and those visiting the theme park to encourage them to hang around.
We've actually had threads on here suggesting MW do a similar thing - offer something that encourages day-guests to stick around at Oxenford post-5pm, potentially have dinner on-site before heading back to the hotel a little later, once the traffic is gone. 

This targets that market, and I think it will do it quite well...

I'm sure the hotdog vender wants to sell more than 20 hotdogs a night.

28 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

get your arse down there then.

I would love to go but I think Drag Queen Bingo is on that weekend at the Miami Markets.

2 hours ago, joz said:

I did think that, thought I'd be super generous lol

Generous would be to give the people a roof.

Edited by New display name

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

Could they put it in Blue Lagoon and use the toilets and the slab from nightmares?

Now that the railway doesn't go around it, that sounds smart - vendors could access the studio driveway during the day without causing pedestrian issues in-park. Assuming that that area has direct access from the theme park it sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps do it on main street to ensure viability, and wait for it to grow enough that it's worth maintaining the additional facilities?