Old Monash Playground

Tim

Does anybody have any information, and especially photos, of the old playground at Monash in South Australia? When I say playground, it was at least a few acres in size and contained heaps of interesting steel slides, train style rides and flying foxes. Free to enter too. The park was the creation of guy called Grant Telfer in the 1960's but due to public liability etc it was pulled down in the 90's. It's been replaced by another park, but from what I can see in photos and from what i've read, it has some of the old parks charm, but it lost a fair bit of the character it had. I went there as a kid in the mid to late 80's and am still really keen to collect infromation. Hope someone has some info!

I have a brilliant booklet full of photos and information on the original Monash playground which I got off my grandparents. It was printed in the early 80's. The playground was a truly amazing place and it's such a shame it was pulled down. They had some of the most incredible, scary looking slides you have ever seen. It almost looked like a big water park except ofcourse the slides were dry and made out of steel. Some of the towers were huge and allowed the owners to constantly add new slides. Apart from the slides they had a big range of various rides and attractions. Most of the 'rides' had moving parts but it should be noted that they were all self propelled - as in they didn't need power or any staff to operate them. There were even a couple of mini roller coasters which you ran yourself. You could spend hours there. Shame I don't have a scanner

Thanks for the info GoBoi. I really want to get a hold of the photos in that book! Since we visited in the mid 80's I've had a fascination with that park. I thought that it was just that I was small then that made the park seem complex and huge, but the more I research about the park the more it seems that it was an amazing place. For anyone who's interested, I found a small webpage about the parks creator. Until I found this information I had the idea that the park was in Renmark. Its only small but here is the link... http://www.riverland.net.au/~grant/The%20G...eds%20Story.htm

• 3 years later...

Yeah, I know its late. Anway, I think I may have found the place where a lot of the rides wound up, a place in Tingha, NSW called Green Valley Farm which has things like the spinning satellite dish, single rail shuttle coaster, one person see saw, giraffe ride ons in their injury inducing glory. I think a stop at this place if I were ever travelling in that part of the country is almost mandatory :P The following pics were stolen from a facebook group entitled "Who needs Dreamworld when there's Green Valley Farm" post-88-1207064472_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064501_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064550_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064563_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064663_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064682_thumb.jpg post-88-1207064732_thumb.jpg Haha I wanna go now.

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Soo good to see those photos, mine are with a family member and I have not had a chance to attempt to get my hands on them and make a copy, back in early 87 we went through Monash with a friend from Adeliade and had a ball on the way back to Sydney after tripping for 6 weeks across the East & South Coast then up to the Alice through Adelaide and a bus trip to Uluru.

I believe it's not like it was due to insurance costs.