How long was Big Dipper at LPS in the pipeline for?

Ranger

It's pretty safe to say that when they announced Big Dipper 3.0 for Luna Park Sydney in late 2020, it came out of left field. I mean, I'm still shocked that no one leaked the plans as I assumed the residents around LPS would of have to of been consulted otherwise they would've gotten really angry. So how long was Hearne and Co. planning the expansion? Was it before COVID hit or did they decide to redevelop Maloney's Corner to attract tourists back after the restriction had eased? Also, I remember someone saying they didn't have to put in a DA due to the planning amendment that the government made after the whole Volare/shutting down debacle? Anyone have any information on the planning of the expansion? 

This has been in the works for a long time. About 10 years ago I recall a yarn from management where the plan was to build a new ride every year to replace the old rides, Hair Raiser was meant to be the beginning of this process, a replacement of Flying Saucer would have been the second, with all the old rides replaced one by one and would have finished up with a new Big Dipper. 

This whole plan was from my understanding put on hold post Hair Raiser DA debacle, before the new tango train got built. All the building refurbishments were still done on schedule (such as the lighthouse, Big Dipper facade, etc). Only when the site development regulations were finalised a few years back did things restart.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Thanks 1