Huge attendance @ Luna Park Syd

GoGoBoy

I walked through the park today to see how it was going over the school hols (I live on the North Shore so it's fairly close). The park was beyond packed. You could hardly move through the crowds. I thought there may have been a special event on but then realised it was probably because it was a public holiday. Every single ride had queues streaming out of the queue houses. I walked past the face around midday and there was still a line for tickets stretching down the road past the pool. It was pretty amazing. I can only think how bad it would have been to actually pay to go to the park today - not fun at all. I spoke to a couple of the staff and they tell me that the park is apparantley doing really well and "beating budgets". Hopefully this is a good thing and we will see them invest funds back into the amusement park. I am surprised the park is doing this well considering that their ride line-up hasn't changed since 1995 and in fact there are now significantly less rides. I think they have been lucky to get such a great response considering their lower emphasis on the amusement park and I'd like to see them concentrate on this aspect a little more. If they do this the park could be really great and something for Sydneysiders to be proud of

Not hard to believe at all! I remember going in the middle of the winter. And the park was packed out. It was a freeezing cold day. But they still managed to have que's stretching out towards the mouth... Funny thing is, most people dont know you can buy tickets out the back next to the Dodgems. As for beeting budgets. Thats always a good thing. Maybe this will show the "hunger" people in Sydney has for some more Amusement. First it was Segaworld then Wonderland. We really need another big park. A little competition would never go astray... Screammachine

You're right joz and it's just crazy. People in Sydney love rides and theme parks and it is now showing more than ever. The problem is nothing has been up to standard and that's what causes the problems. It is obvious that people want something decent in Sydney and would be more than willing to support it. We already have 4 million people and are growing at the rate of tens of thousands every year. A little competition would be good for Luna Park. They have a total monopoly on the market at the moment which means that they can do just about anything and the people will still come. If there are any leisure investors out there looking for an opportunity, now is the right time. In the meantime Luna Park can continue to soak up all that lovely disposable income all on it's lonesome

I walked through the park today to see how it was going over the school hols (I live on the North Shore so it's fairly close). The park was beyond packed. You could hardly move through the crowds. I thought there may have been a special event on but then realised it was probably because it was a public holiday. Every single ride had queues streaming out of the queue houses. I walked past the face around midday and there was still a line for tickets stretching down the road past the pool. It was pretty amazing.
Great news for LPS no doubt. Like you, I just hope the profits are invested in the amusement park side of things. New thrill rides would be a good start.

'This Goboi person' - that's charming. Especially considering I have been around these forums a lot longer than you. And please don't call me a liar. Wonderland had lots of potential but not enough was done about it. Wonderland went through ups and downs as did Dreamworld in years gone by. The difference is that Dreamworld continued to upgrade and keep up it's standards whereas Wonderland just let go (different owners with different priorities). Then we have Sega World and Fox Studios Backlot. Both pretty pathetic attempts. Sega World could have been good but it didn't quite hit the nail on the head. And the latest incarnation of Luna Park... at the moment it doesn't really matter whether it's good or bad because as I said, it has a monopoly on the market and people seem to go no matter what