Tom Scott Plus... Rollercoasters

Naazon

I mean, I think both parties stood to gain from this. Tom comes off as a very genuine and honest person - I do get the feeling he had a legitimate fear - and as far as 'safety fluff' - they did reassure him that they'd done safety checks as such but didn't go into any great deal behind the safety mechanisms as such.

Either way it was a good little video, and the ending seemed so emotional and heartfelt.

Also me: tell him about the Smiler! tell him about the Smiler!

52 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

actually found that pretty cool to watch. no idea who he is or aware of his regular content etc, but i thought it was produced really well. As someone who loves rides and coasters, it can sometimes be hard to fathom how genuinely scared some people are of them.

He's a youtuber that has been around practically since the beginning. His main channel does a lot of 'things you didn't know' and some can be very nerdy science and technology whereas others are just cool places in the world that he found interesting. The best part (as Slick references) is that his main channel is primarily short 3-5 minute videos so you can catch them when you've got a few minutes with nothing to do when you don't wanna settle in for a 20-30 minute episode of something, they're snappy, quick and to the point while also being informative. He's one of my favourite youtube channels to drop by when i'm taking a break.

He's done a load of things for the BBC and even produced a number of gameshow style episodes including some other popular youtube channel collaborations with folks like Technology Connections as guest stars. "Money" is one of my personal favourites and I wish he'd do another series on that.

10 minutes ago, Slick said:

Cheers for the post - had no idea he had a second long-form channel.

I think he launched Tom Scott plus about a year ago (he made a short video announcement on his main channel asking people to name the channel) where he explained his intention with the second channel - Plus is kinda Tom Scott does Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe a nervous computer geek. He's already herded sheep, been set on fire, and learned to ride a bike. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Also, if you read the pinned comment on the new video, he mentions that he's only fine with the alpine cause it has a handbrake.

Yeah sorry, I've practically seen all his videos, hes shown other Alpine coasters before with him on them, and also if I remember correctly, one of those bike like ones where you pedal yourself?

As he said in the originally linked video, its not the height, speed or movements, as hes been in fighter jets and done other 'extreme' stuff, its just the initial drop.

On 14/06/2022 at 3:10 PM, joz said:

I like Tom Scott, and I enjoyed his roller coaster video. I'm not watching another of his videos though as his videos are a rabbit hole I don't have time to go down, and if I watch one more the YT algorithm will just drown me in Tom Scott videos. All of which will be good and interesting but dammit let me live my life!

Nods understandingly in Gold Prospecting rabbit hole, of all things...?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 9:27 AM, Naazon said:

Yeah sorry, I've practically seen all his videos, hes shown other Alpine coasters before with him on them, and also if I remember correctly, one of those bike like ones where you pedal yourself?

As he said in the originally linked video, its not the height, speed or movements, as hes been in fighter jets and done other 'extreme' stuff, its just the initial drop.

I've seen them all too. I'm just reciting what he said in his comments.