Calling all Past and Present Character Performers!!

furluffy

I'm a new character performer at Movie World and I'd love some tips and tricks on how to maintain your physical fitness.
Before I landed this job, I did character suits a few times a month and now I've jumped straight into doing it almost every day for day shifts.

Are there any ways to help prevent the aches and muscle tightness whilst continuously working?

Whilst I have no experience with being a character performer. I believe there are a few key things to probably look into/make sure you're doing. You may already be doing some or all of them, I only have a little bit of information in to what sort of training you receive but hopefully some of these suggestions might help. Your co-workers are your best source of information though. Speak to the seasoned veterans in particular. They'll be a wealth of information and tips and tricks.

- Make sure you're stretching properly before and after each time you put the suit on. You're carrying a decent amount of weight for significant periods of time, so your body needs to be warmed up for this.

- Can you wear shoes in the suit? If so, it's important to make sure you have a good pair of shoes on (possibly sports/running shoes might be good here)

- Ensure you're drinking plenty of water. Keeping plenty of fluids in your body will be vital to help keep your muscles fresh and strong (Obviously don't drink to much water or the toilet will be your best friend haha). We all know those suits get very hot.. Good luck in a few months when QLD summer gets closer (Use these next few months to make sure you're well and truly prepared for that).

- I don't know what your current physical condition is but running will be your best friend here as well. In particular endurance running. It's a fantastic way to keep fit and exercise so many of your muscles that will help with the suit but helping increase your overall endurance and stamina at the same time. 

- Lastly, actively going to the gym can help a lot as well. Strength and endurance training there will help you see huge benefits.

As I'm sure you're well aware. Every movement you make in the suit is always very over exaggerated and more intense than how you would normally act day to day, so anything you can do to help strengthen and get your body used to using many of the muscles it's not used to (with extra weight as well) will greatly help.

Good luck!