Luna Park Melbourne

Jobe

Any news on the Grand old dame of Melbourne ,Luna Park?? They were supposed to get a new coaster last year sometime but it did not eventuate. Instead they refurbished the Pinfari travelling coaster they already had. I feel that with some money injected this old park would be the perfect combination of old and new. There is more than enough room for a new coaster of some type...be it wooden or steel. Personally I would love to see a new Woodie be built in the tradition of the old Big Dipper(which should never have been torn down in 1989!! a huge historical loss to Australia). What typoe of coaster would you guys see going into the park to replace the Metropolis?? Any other ideas for the park( It doesnt have the same problems Luna Park Sydney has -ie noise/residents and is a little larger in size I believe. So...what do you think?? Cheers :D John

They'd be pushing for any real space with the current lineup. My honest opinion is they should remove Metropolis, and replace it with a wooden coaster, similar in style to the Big Dipper which was of course what Metroplis replaced. They were supposed to get a looping Pinfari coaster, shipping delays was their excuse when the "new" Luna Park opened in 2001 and nothing more has happened. The park as a whole is just a big mess and when you've got a company running a park who think that they know what they're doing, but in reality are ruining the place more and more, you've got a pretty bad situation that'll be hard to ever repair.

• 5 months later...

Just a thought guys but do you think it could be possible for Luna Park Melbourne to buy and install The Thunderbolt in their park?? I know that the coaster is soo old and rough but if it was picked up for a bargain basement price and refurbished would it be possible to fit its footprint entirely within Luna Parks confines. I am thinking maybe but a lot of things would have to be moved. I dont think it will ever happen but it was just a thought!! I think that Thunderbolts two loops would be a great new Melbourne Icon!!! What do you think?? Cheers, Jobe 8)

I went to luna park for the first time on the last lot of holidays and thought it was a great place. Personnaly I didn't like it that much but it did have a great atmosphere, and the kids all love it. In my opinion it is really a kids park, the place was over run with them when I was there, it could be diffrn't a night though. I was disapointed with the scenic railway though. When ever the car got to the top of the hill the 'driver' would chock on the brakes and bring the car back to a crawl, building no momentem or speed at all. Also it ran very slow lines all day so unfortunatly I opted not to ride it. Most of the rides ran very slow acutaly with only 1 person operating it took ages for the loading process. I don't know if you have ever been to StKilda but lunapark is in an excellent spot there on the bay. Don't laugh but it reminds me of surfers paradise down there on the beach :) Shaun

• 2 weeks later...