Macquarie aqcuires AMF Bowling Centres

Richard

This isn't strictly Dreamworld-related, though it will have significant impact on Dreamworld. Macquarie Leisure Trust Group, the owners of Dreamworld have just recently announced that they have acquired AMF Bowling Centres, which owned and operated 40 bowling centres around Australia for a price of $67.4 million. This new avenue will account for 42% of the company's total revenue, with Dreamworld 48% and the d'Alboris Marinas the remaining 10%. Previously, Dreamworld accounted for around 83% of the company's revenue. So really, this almost doubles Macquarie Leisure's cash flow, theoretically meaning greater possibilities for investment in Dreamworld. Put it this way - whereas before the acquisition, a $10 million thrill ride was the equivalent of around 50% of the company's total profits (ignore that this profit figure takes into account capital expenditure), now this same $10 million ride is more like 30% of the total profits.

I wouldn't want to see them take up precious space with a big bowling alley. I can't see it happening anyway as a bowling alley is a stand alone attraction. People won't want to go to Dreamworld and waste a few hours in a bowling alley. The only way it could work would be to give the bowling alley a separate entrance/admission. It's not going to happen. So do bowling alleys actually make money these days?

One of the key benefits of this acquisitons as listed by Macquarie Leisure was the opportunity for cross-marketing. I'm guessing stuff like "buy two games and get a voucher for adults at kids prices", and maybe some nice big ads around the centres. As GoBoi said, who's going to Dreamworld to go bowling? Evidently people still do go bowling, because AMF seem to have done well out of it, and Macquarie think they will do well with this in their portfolio.

One of the key benefits of this acquisitons as listed by Macquarie Leisure was the opportunity for cross-marketing. I'm guessing stuff like "buy two games and get a voucher for adults at kids prices", and maybe some nice big ads around the centres. As GoBoi said, who's going to Dreamworld to go bowling?
Given the school holiday promotions that AMF do, it wouldn't suprise me if they gave away the chance to win a holiday to Dreamworld/tickets/etc.

Yeah, i know the things you are talking about, they do it at most centers, and you get tickets like at a game arcade, to use as currency to get stuff, maybe it would be like "get 500 tickets and get a trip to DW", but by then you would have payed for enough bowling to have paid for like 10 games, its the perfect marketing plan