Visiting The Gold Coast - Help Planning

Psi

Hi folks, i'm currently planning a theme park orientated trip to the Gold Coast in early December, and figured with so many locals on this board maybe I could get a hand to maximise the trip. First, Dreamworld. Which day faces more crowds.. Saturday or Sunday? Any tips on which rides to go for first (queue wise), and is it worth getting to the park before it opens? Sea World - Does it get crowed during the weekend, or would I be safer to go during the week? Once again, which rides/attractions see the most crowds? And last of course, Movie World. Going here for two days, so I figure i'll do everything.. which rides see the most crowds? Is it better to go for Wild Wild West first then Scooby Doo or the opposite? A couple of quick general question.. will any rides be under maintenance during early December? Do the Village theme parks have drink refill deals like they had a couple of years back? Any other tips/suggestions would be great too (eg Rerides etc).

I'm more or less a local,but then again I don't go much as I don't have a seaon pass and there would be no point in getting one because I'm not old enogh to go by myself and the rest of my family don't wanna get one because there not that interested in theme parks(although they can tolerate my ramblings)ahem,moving on. I've been to DW twice,both on saturdays and the lines were quite tolerable.Try and get on Cycloe during lunch or at the start of the day,but only go to Cyclone at the sart of the day if your one of the first people into the park.Because Cyclone is the worst capacity ride at DW (or is GD?) you want to get on it in a time when there aren't many people in the que line.(obviously) For Seaworld,watch out because after the dolphin show because a swarm of tourists and the like come out onto the paths,and it can get crowded.I always thought the best 3 rides at SW were Corkscrew,Vikings Revenge,and the Freefall Slide,so those are my suggested intineries. MW's lines are never really long anyway,thanks to well trained staff and lots of them.Do Lethal Weapon first,that was a good way to start of for me,the do Scooby,Wild West,and Batman.Be sure to go on

I'm more or less a local,but then again I don't go much as I don't have a seaon pass and there would be no point in getting one because I'm not old enogh to go by myself and the rest of my family don't wanna get one because there not that interested in theme parks(although they can tolerate my ramblings)ahem,moving on. I've been to DW twice,both on saturdays and the lines were quite tolerable.Try and get on Cycloe during lunch or at the start of the day,but only go to Cyclone at the sart of the day if your one of the first people into the park.Because Cyclone is the worst capacity ride at DW (or is GD?) you want to get on it in a time when there aren't many people in the que line.(obviously)Make sure you get to Giant Drop,I haven't been on it but I'm sure it's good.Tower Of Terror is a must,Wipeout(although I think it's closed)is a very good one,check out all the flats,Gold Rush area,and of course the Claw. For Seaworld,watch out because after the dolphin show because a swarm of tourists and the like come out onto the paths,and it can get crowded.I always thought the best 3 rides at SW were Corkscrew,Vikings Revenge,and the Freefall Slide,so those are my suggested intineries. MW's lines are never really long anyway,thanks to well trained staff and lots of them.Do Lethal Weapon first,that was a good way to start of for me,the do Scooby,Wild West,and Batman.Be sure to go on Road Runner,because although it may look like a simple kiddy coaster it packs a punch and look out for the brakes at the end.

Hi folks, i'm currently planning a theme park orientated trip to the Gold Coast in early December, and figured with so many locals on this board maybe I could get a hand to maximise the trip. First, Dreamworld. Which day faces more crowds.. Saturday or Sunday? Any tips on which rides to go for first (queue wise), and is it worth getting to the park before it opens? Sea World - Does it get crowed during the weekend, or would I be safer to go during the week? Once again, which rides/attractions see the most crowds? And last of course, Movie World. Going here for two days, so I figure i'll do everything.. which rides see the most crowds? Is it better to go for Wild Wild West first then Scooby Doo or the opposite? A couple of quick general question.. will any rides be under maintenance during early December? Do the Village theme parks have drink refill deals like they had a couple of years back? Any other tips/suggestions would be great too (eg Rerides etc).
At the time of writing, no major rides are scheduled to be down during December, so you should be ok there. As for crowds, weekends are noticeably busier at all the parks, though crowds are, generally speaking, bearable. If your going to go to the parks during the week to avoid crowds, your probably better off making Dreamworld the midweek trip, since that's where you'll notice the difference in crowds the most. With two days at Movieworld, you'll have more then enough time to check everything out, and more then once. At Seaworld, there's many different ways to plan your day and you should be able to fit everything in. Let me know if you'd like a pre-made game plan. The only real tip is to try and watch the afternoon Dolphin and Seal shows rather then the morning shows, since the shows are busier in the morning, and hence there are less people on the rides and in the exhibits at this time. In food & Beverage at Warner Village, there is most certainty a refill deal. Buy a large souvenir drink for $4.50, and keep the cup and you can refill it for $2.95, anywhere around Seaworld, Movieworld or Wet 'n' Wild, with popcorn, soft drink, or frozen coke. I'm told (though I can't confirm) that if you take it to Dreamworld, they'll fill the cups for $2.90. If there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask, and enjoy the holiday!

Saturdays are renowned to be much better in queue times. Unless you haven't bought pre-paid tickets, get to the park by about 9:30am. This will give you enough time to grab your tickets and get into the park by 10:00am when the rides start. As for me, I always do Cyclone first, it is one of the worst capacity rides in the park, and by this stage you'll only have to wait for about five minutes before getting on. When Cyclone's done, i'd go to TOT, then GD. From then on its pretty much choose and go. The Claw is best in the afternoons because for some reason the people just disappate from The Claw. Yesterday for me was really packed (because with the whole INDY package people got a free ticket to Dreamworld) but by the afternoon they were running a straight line in into the claw. And best suggestions for GD queue lines are: -go about lunhtime (noon-ish). By this stage everyone has settled down some where for lunch (Including all the families) which means that rides will be alot less full, especailly our ride capacity deficient drop ride. - About 1:00-ish, I usuall grab lunch then and head to either Market Place, Billabong Buffet (excellent by the way), Shark Attack (near Cyclone), or the Fat Fish (in Blue Lagoon, excellent fish there).

Where is the cheapest food at DW? And what paticular products are the best to buy, and what ones should you steer clear of. Also, at the sandwich bar, do they have subs, in paticular a meatball sub. Also, what about drinks, i dont like soft drinks so how much are things like Flavoured milk or juices. I might be going next year, and I would be getting there before opening, then running to the GD, there is no way im queueing for 3 hrs. Then i would run to cyclone, then the TOT, then claw then wipeout.

This is just for everyone in general wanting to visit the Parks. I just worked friday at Movieworld and Saturday and Sunday at Seaworld and I can tell you those are the best days to come during INDY there is no one at the parks. And if next year we get these new rides at DW, MW fingers cross it could be walk on all day. The down side would be finding a place to stay at this time.

At the time of writing, no major rides are scheduled to be down during December, so you should be ok there.  As for crowds, weekends are noticeably busier at all the parks, though crowds are, generally speaking, bearable.  If your going to go to the parks during the week to avoid crowds, your probably better off making Dreamworld the midweek trip, since that's where you'll notice the difference in crowds the most.
I was considering that, problem is that my dad is coming up for the weekend, and he wanted to get on a few coasters. Given what i've read here, chances are that i'll do Dreamworld Saturday and Movie World Sunday.
The only real tip is to try and watch the afternoon Dolphin and Seal shows rather then the morning shows, since the shows are busier in the morning, and hence there are less people on the rides and in the exhibits at this time.
Awesome. Is Sharks Bay a walk-through or a toured show?
In food & Beverage at Warner Village, there is most certainty a refill deal.  Buy a large souvenir drink for $4.50, and keep the cup and you can refill it for $2.80, anywhere around Seaworld, Movieworld or Wet 'n' Wild, with popcorn, soft drink, or frozen coke.
Nice! I remember seeing these on my last trip, however I only found out about the refills on the last day. Looks like i'll be living on Frozen Coke :D .
I'm told (though I can't confirm) that if you take it to Dreamworld, they'll fill the cups for $2.90.  If there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask, and enjoy the holiday!
Thanks for your help.
Unless you haven't bought pre-paid tickets, get to the park by about 9:30am. his will give you enough time to grab your tickets and get into the park by 10:00am when the rides start.
Tickets have been bought already, however we are still considering getting to the park before it opens. Is there a rush at the gates when the parks opens?
The Claw is best in the afternoons because for some reason the people just disappate from The Claw.
Interesting, Claw looks like a really cool ride. How far is the exit from the entrence (for re-ride sake)? Great suggestions about GD. I was considering going to the Billabong Buffet, but didn't want to spend an hour eating when I could be riding (and the worry of not feeling right when riding later in the day). Couple of other questions, do any of the parks open earlier/stay open later in December? Churros are sold at Wet 'n Wild, what about at the other Village parks? Is the Flycoaster in Surfers worth doing?

As for extended hours, check out Wet 'n' Wild on a Saturday. There are 'Dive in Movies' played outside where the wavepool. Generally speaking, the movies start at dusk, and the park's slides close at the end of the movie. This is a great way to avoid crowds, as the slides are mostly very crowded during the day, and a walk on at night. Plus riding Terror Canyon at night is an unreal experience, and one definitely worth checking out. Extended hours for the others will most likely commence on Boxing Day. All of the Warner Village Theme Parks sell churros at a cost of $3. Movieworld sell thier's mostly through their vendors, and Sea World at the Top Terrace, Bakery, Donut Shop and through mobile vendors. There's also a special at the moment at Sea World's Donut shop, which is selling 2 for $5. Shark Bay is a Walk Through. Wander through and check it all out at your own pace, same with Polar Bear Shores. There are snorkel and SCUBA tours available at Shark Bay for an extra cost, which from all accounts are really worth the extra cost.

No, in terms of getting into the park, there is zero rush. Its not worth getting to Dreamworld at 9:30am when the rides open about 10:15am. Basically it means that you'll be waiting somewhere in the park until the rides open. You can't get to GD early because there are ropes in Gold Rush and near the train station that don't come down until 10:00, and there are the Tiger gates and a bunch of chairs which also don't move until 10:00am, usually later for that area actually). As for food, first try my good mates down at Market Place. You can't go wrong with their chips (the best I've ever had, and yes, i've been to Disney parks before) and alot of their chicken is fairly good. If you're a fish person, the fat fish at Blue Lagoon is the best fish and chips I've had in a while now and are worth the 5.90, also a steal as chicken and chips will set you back 8.90. CatDog snack shack at Nick Central is your best bet for Hotdogs, but they're good only if you're planning to pay for it. A hotdog with the works will set you back about 7.90 without coke or fries, and there's always a wait, so unless you've got cravings, I'd skip this one. The B-Buffet is great little stop that offers some of the best all you can eat food you'll ever find. The desserts are just amazing, and their asian dishes are just... mmmm....... It'll set you back though, about $14 per person (adult) to get in. By the way, these prices are without a season pass.

Well, at least someone likes Dreamworld's chips. I didn't think that were possible, but I guess I was wrong. I think if you start asking advice on food and actually plan where and what you're going to eat, it's crossed beyond travel advice and into obsessive. Let alone the people who actually give the advice... :) You probably couldn't pick a better ride for reriding than The Claw. Between walking in the entrance, queueing, loading, unloading and exiting I doubt you'd walk a total of 50m.

Well, If im forking out rip off prices for food, i think Id want to make sure what I got wasnt horrible. nad anyway, most park guide sites have food guides for the park so i would consider it good advice. $7.90 for a hotdog :eek: what do you get with it when you say the lot? Id be hoping for tons of cheese and relish and all other sorts of stuff.

As for extended hours, check out Wet 'n' Wild on a Saturday.  There are 'Dive in Movies' played outside where the wavepool.  Generally speaking, the movies start at dusk, and the park's slides close at the end of the movie.  This is a great way to avoid crowds, as the slides are mostly very crowded during the day, and a walk on at night.  Plus riding Terror Canyon at night is an unreal experience, and one definitely worth checking out.  Extended hours for the others will most likely commence on Boxing Day.
Dang.
All of the Warner Village Theme Parks sell churros at a cost of $3.  Movieworld sell thier's mostly through their vendors, and Sea World at the Top Terrace, Bakery, Donut Shop and through mobile vendors.  There's also a special at the moment at Sea World's Donut shop, which is selling 2 for $5.
Quality. It's been a while since i've had a churro, I hope they are as good as I remember.
Shark Bay is a Walk Through.  Wander through and check it all out at your own pace, same with Polar Bear Shores.  There are snorkel and SCUBA tours available at Shark Bay for an extra cost, which from all accounts are really worth the extra cost.
Sounds interesting, may have to do some research into it.
No, in terms of getting into the park, there is zero rush. Its not worth getting to Dreamworld at 9:30am when the rides open about 10:15am. Basically it means that you'll be waiting somewhere in the park until the rides open.   You can't get to GD early because there are ropes in Gold Rush and near the train station that don't come down until 10:00, and there are the Tiger gates and a bunch of chairs which also don't move until 10:00am, usually later for that area actually).
So in other words, the only reason to open early is to get people buying food and merch?
As for food, first try my good mates down at Market Place. You can't go wrong with their chips (the best I've ever had, and yes, i've been to Disney parks before) and alot of their chicken is fairly good.   If you're a fish person, the fat fish at Blue Lagoon is the best fish and chips I've had in a while now and are worth the 5.90, also a steal as chicken and chips will set you back 8.90.
Sounds pretty good price wise and hopefully just as tasty.
CatDog snack shack at Nick Central is your best bet for Hotdogs, but they're good only if you're planning to pay for it. A hotdog with the works will set you back about 7.90 without coke or fries, and there's always a wait, so unless you've got cravings, I'd skip this one.
They'd want to be pretty damn good hot dogs at that price!
I think if you start asking advice on food and actually plan where and what you're going to eat, it's crossed beyond travel advice and into obsessive. Let alone the people who actually give the advice... :)
No harm in coming prepared. Besides, it's not like they gave out full menus to counter places like some other sites do.
You probably couldn't pick a better ride for reriding than The Claw. Between walking in the entrance, queueing, loading, unloading and exiting I doubt you'd walk a total of 50m.
Thanks for the tip Richo.