Arkham asylum replacement theming??

A yarn I've heard from people with good relationships at Village is that the plans for AA haven't changed (so what's been leaked thus far is happening - ie MW is receiving a clone of what's being built at Gumbuya World, so Bikash will be needing to get some spin together).

What could have been.... Australia's first RMC died for this.

Theming wise I've heard that Village may finally be straying away from DC for the coasters. Not sure if I believe the credibility of this information but it's an interesting yarn and a can of worms to open regardless

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think it's being scrapped...

a1.thumb.png.921ec7f02d662d2fc6c37c03748720a7.png

a3.thumb.png.af7775f4cb41c83a4901c2d11145c2e0.png

a4.thumb.png.059b920695728c33be1a60eea234875c.png

a5.thumb.png.37fb3f0f77269a813c1cea6440ff264b.png

a6.thumb.png.4cc5efa01f66b1aaf896dd6c158d559d.png

a8.thumb.png.b57788037b6afbc4571476ebc5dde1ba.png

a9.thumb.png.545214cc0840191397f2711e860f3ad9.png

a10.thumb.png.d8b0983c55d32554cd2d34e2968be8c7.png

40 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

A yarn I've heard from people with good relationships at Village is that the plans for AA haven't changed (so what's been leaked thus far is happening - ie MW is receiving a clone of what's being built at Gumbuya World, so Bikash will be needing to get some spin together).

Yeah, a bit disappointing from a thoosie perspective. At the end of the day though they're three solid coasters that should fit nicely into the park's line-up. As a fan of helix's that Vekoma SFC looks right up my alley!

Edited by Ogre
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Theming wise I've heard that Village may finally be straying away from DC for the coasters. Not sure if I believe the credibility of this information but it's an interesting yarn and a can of worms to open regardless

How far into planning was this 'first RMC'? I've heard about it being a thing, but I've only seen it being referred to mostly as a joke. Leviathan being the first ground-up woodie in Australia for a long time (and getting years of delay as a partial result), then going directly into more ambitious ground-up hybrid seems like a bit of a risk.

On 09/07/2022 at 2:11 PM, rappa said:

Thank you for making me realise that crazy lady has obviously blocked me from that fb page for no reason 😛

Are you even a real enthusiast if you haven't been blocked from that page at least once?

On 09/07/2022 at 7:11 PM, jjuttp said:

At first  thought you were talking about TPR.

Is there a difference?

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

Yeah, I think it's being scrapped...

a3.thumb.png.af7775f4cb41c83a4901c2d11145c2e0.png

a4.thumb.png.059b920695728c33be1a60eea234875c.png

You know, i'm looking at these two photos, and i'm wondering where everyone thinks this track piece could be unbolted?

I can see the flange in the main spine, but the connection to the support, and the running track all appear to be smooth - no easily separated connections, so while the spine might bolt together, the track does appear to be welded to the supports and to each track piece.

When they pulled Demon apart, they went at it with a blowtorch and the cuts seemed very jagged and haphazard - but it still appeared in Alabama the year after. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened with Big Dipper\Cyclone. Running track is welded, spine is bolted. 

As long as the pieces match relatively closely, nothing is stopping them putting it back together elsewhere. 

This thing is being chopped up into nasty bits its for sure not going anywhere. 

As for replacement, would some highly themed family coasters be so bad? Like the place IS for kids right as a primary audience?

• Like 3

I visited last week. Yeah yeah, school holidays etc et al - but I left after about an hour. The park craves capacity. Something like studio tour or effects show that just swallows people and can sustainably run all day. 

Three coasters are cool and all, and hey, who doesn't love more credits, right?

But if they're operated in the same lackadaisical way as the rest of the coasters in the park... it's not going to make much of a difference IMO. 

• Like 2

More family ride capacity is a good thing for the park, as others have noted it's somewhat lacking in that area which is why WFF and SDSC are always relatively busy. Clones or not, Vekoma's recent offerings have been fairly high quality and thankfully they haven't cheaped out on some awful Zierer or SBF installation.

I suspect the success of this new area will largely depend on the theming. There's potential for the new land to look and feel fantastic if they put in the effort.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 3 family roller coasters is a bad idea, especially for a park that seems to have trouble with queues and with keeping rides operating all year round. Something that's also been said by many people (including myself) is that they need a people eater, a big indoor dark-ride like Looney Tunes was. If the plan was for 1 family roller coaster and a highly themed dark ride then I'd be like, that's a good idea. But 3 roller coasters feels like someone at the top going, "well we could buy 1 expensive roller coaster, but that'd be expensive and potentially hard to market, but you know what the general public will get excited about... 3 roller coasters." I guarantee that'll be their marketing, not talking about "Australia's first" like they tend to just something along the lines of: "WHAT'S BETTER THAN ONE NEW ROLLER COASTER? HOW ABOUT THREE NEW ROLLER COASTERS?!"

• Like 3

I think we'll see what the announcements are, much has been made public of the new coasters but I would really like Movieworld to go down the route of turning that area into a new "precinct" (I am mindful of the danger in using this wording !!) 

If we look at Dreamworld they have the younger kids area, tween area (Madagascar) and then further thrill rides, Movieworld certainly has the young kids area but the Tween demographic isn't as well catered for, 3 coasters (and perhaps a public road map for a flat ride in 24/25 similar to Atlantis) would turn that whole area into a 4/5 ride space and would be a good idea. Two / Three coasters in isolation, not so much.

2 hours ago, aaronm said:

I suspect the success of this new area will largely depend on the theming. There's potential for the new land to look and feel fantastic if they put in the effort.

Definitely, I’d say theming is what would set Movie World apart from Gumbuya the most. I honestly doubt a lot of the GP would even realize the coaster is a clone of that at GW anyway, but turning the area into an immersive, themed land would truly elevate the experience as being something unique, even if the rides themselves are not. 

10 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It’s two new coasters, not three. Not sure where this suggestion of 3 new coasters came from 

Isn’t this the same specs of what was announced to staff at the town hall? That’s two coasters not one.47A5ED66-DEFE-4387-9394-F11014FC33AF.thumb.jpeg.d34f5fd4c4b1aef0dc1fd1f5cbae5475.jpeg

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It’s two new coasters, not three. Not sure where this suggestion of 3 new coasters came from 

Did you forget so soon? Even you were discussing the suggestion of 3 new coasters...

On 08/01/2022 at 10:07 PM, Brad2912 said:

They’re not going to be indoors. Enclosing that entire area to fit 3 coasters would likely cost more than the coasters themselves.

But in case you missed it... here's 6 other members over the last 6 months all saying "three" too!

1 hour ago, New display name said:

1 in 3 odds is good odds for MW to have one of the coasters always open.

1 hour ago, Cactus_Matt said:

WHAT'S BETTER THAN ONE NEW ROLLER COASTER? HOW ABOUT THREE NEW ROLLER COASTERS?!"

18 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Based on what was revealed at the staff town hall and subsequently leaked here, the stats of the coasters mentioned at that meeting are resemblant of that of off the shelf models from vekoma (the sfc is this model and the family boomerangs are this model)

At first I detested the idea of getting 3 coasters in the same category as Roadrunner

On 23/02/2022 at 5:59 AM, Rivals said:

i think it would be a lot more different if it was 1 Vekoma thrill coaster compared to 3 mild family coasters tbh. 

On 09/01/2022 at 12:22 PM, rappa said:

Now, with their latest coaster yet to even open yet we’ve decided not only they can’t theme a ride, buy also the 3 unannounced coasters will also be poorly themed. 

On 07/01/2022 at 10:17 AM, Dom said:

I think the most realistic bet is Easter to Late 2024. No way are they going to turn around three roller coasters in 12 months with demolition, land clearing, construction and theming.

On 09/01/2022 at 12:18 PM, Luke said:

If this 3x Vekoma off-the-shelf family coaster stunner deal is correct, it'll be interesting to see how they attempt to theme them. 

3 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

"well we could buy 1 expensive roller coaster, but that'd be expensive and potentially hard to market, but you know what the general public will get excited about... 3 roller coasters."

Shit its almost like they are trying to make smart business decisions and please their market…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Isn’t this the same specs of what was announced to staff at the town hall? That’s two coasters not one.

Fair enough. If you classify a racing coaster as 2 separate coasters then sure, it’s 3 

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Did you forget so soon? Even you were discussing the suggestion of 3 new coasters...

On 8/1/2022 at 10:07 PM, Brad2912 said:

I’m getting old, what can I say. I guess I’m my head duelling coasters are 1 attraction, but yes, 2 slightly different experiences. 

3 it is.

5 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

Something that's also been said by many people (including myself) is that they need a people eater, a big indoor dark-ride like Looney Tunes was.

Would 3 coasters not achieve the same? If LTRR hypothetically ran 750p/h and each of these coasters 250, would that not work out the same and keep queues low?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Would 3 coasters not achieve the same? If LTRR hypothetically ran 750p/h and each of these coasters 250, would that not work out the same and keep queues low?

Man, I read that as 750km/h and was slightly concerned with your ideals.

But yes and no. There are a lot of variables that come into play. Overall though, it should eat up more than a single attraction over a period of time as maintenance can be spread out over time rather than the whole attraction close at once.

But then adding 3 attractions, they would likely need more maintenance staff, ride ops and upkeep costs, so the expense is greater, will they cut budgets elsewhere like themeing or non-critical maintenance, or will the uplift in tickets, merch and food be enough to justify/cover that?

16 hours ago, jjuttp said:

LTRR was kinda continuous load. While pre-show could hold things up, there's really no reason why the boats should stop for any length of time. 

Coasters at MW tend to stop for 5 minutes for no apparent reason. 

13 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

LTRR was kinda continuous load. While pre-show could hold things up, there's really no reason why the boats should stop for any length of time. 

Coasters at MW tend to stop for 5 minutes for no apparent reason. 

Vekoma say 625 per coaster per hour, so adding in your 5min delay, its 200 per coaster per hour + the suspended which they say is 720 so probably around the 250 mark with your delay. Not far off really.

Edit to say, super super super rough math here.

Edited by Naazon
  • Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 9:20 AM, rappa said:

This thing is being chopped up into nasty bits its for sure not going anywhere. 

As for replacement, would some highly themed family coasters be so bad? Like the place IS for kids right as a primary audience?

I don't think the problem is that it's a family coaster, the problem is that a family coaster is replacing a major thrill coaster in the park. 

DC Rivals opened in 2017, it's been a bit since their last major investment into an attraction. Whilst I'd agree that the park needs another family attraction, replacing a thrill ride with a family boomerang is a huge let-down. 

• Richard changed the title to Arkham asylum replacement theming??
  • Richard locked this topic