Arkham asylum replacement theming??

Just now, Rivals said:

i could definitely see this being the case, especially as they need an airtime focus coaster as well as a good non-launched coaster. i’d love something like Goliath at SFGAM or Twister Timbers at KD. 

does anyone know where the 3 family coasters information came from? was there ever any proof, or just “i heard they were showed this at this place”.

I think it was just a lot of different people corroborating it, and having the same event as the source.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

and again shorter kids can go on them

You're assuming that local regulations would permit the same height restrictions and allowances as observed overseas, and while that's possible - it's not always the case. 

See Also: Vekoma Junior Coaster \ Road Runner Rollercoaster

22 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

F.L.Y. would be mega cool but it’s way more expensive. Zadra (a massive ground up RMC) cost $10m euro - cheaper than rivals - and again shorter kids can go on them - and they have elements we don’t have (zero g rolls/stalls maybe even a jojo roll)

I think you just proved how you can't compare overseas pricing with Australian pricing. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

F.L.Y. would be mega cool but it’s way more expensive. Zadra (a massive ground up RMC) cost $10m euro - cheaper than rivals - and again shorter kids can go on them - and they have elements we don’t have (zero g rolls/stalls maybe even a jojo roll)

Zadra is shorter then Rivals and was also placed on flat land, whereas Rivals was placed on top of a swamp which I'm pretty sure made the cost go higher then it would if it was completely flat, stable land. I also don't think aus laws would allow for shorter kids to go on a ride like Zadra, I mean kids have to be 110cm to go on RRRC, and 120cm to go on alone. 

8 hours ago, Rivals said:

Zadra is shorter then Rivals and was also placed on flat land, whereas Rivals was placed on top of a swamp 

Luckily there’s a whole bunch of footers spare now!

No reason why height limits need to change country to country - the trains are designed to be safe for a specific height for riders globally. 

I’m also for unaccompanied riders to be based on age not height too. The only reason is to keep some sanity during ride stops / Evacs. 

Edited by Dean Barnett

On 15/07/2022 at 4:10 AM, Dean Barnett said:

Doesn't Poland have lower labour construction costs?

• Like 1

On 15/07/2022 at 12:10 PM, Dean Barnett said:

On 15/07/2022 at 9:19 PM, Dean Barnett said:

Luckily there’s a whole bunch of footers spare now!

No reason why height limits need to change country to country - the trains are designed to be safe for a specific height for riders globally. 

I’m also for unaccompanied riders to be based on age not height too. The only reason is to keep some sanity during ride stops / Evacs. 

I tried to find an accurate estimate of F.L.Y.'s total cost and couldn't, but I will say that the price tag of the ride itself would be well within VR's means. The issue would be budgeting to theme it to the standard of a F.L.Y./Taron/VelociCoaster attraction. Not going to happen. Even if VR slipped and fell into a pot of gold, given the Gold Coast parks' recent propensity towards shed stations and carpark coasters, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Zadra's height limit is 140 cm, which is not that short, and taller in fact than DC Rivals. Although when I was there a couple weeks ago, I met this lovely Polish guy who was taking his ten-year-old son on it (it was the kid's birthday!). When we got to the station, the kid literally stretched for the heavens and just scraped the requirement. He made it back in one piece. I told the guy to ask the kid if he was scared, and he gave me a big, enthusiastic "Nie!".

What that height limit tells me though is that a medium- or large-scale RMC hybrid (which may be within the realm of affordability) may not be that desirable. They'd need a 120 or 130 cm ride to really fill the void in their lineup. F.L.Y., by the way, is 130.

I remember a couple years back seeing a boy about the same age in tears outside Superman because he was just shy of 140. The mum was like "we'll come back next year" but you gotta feel bad for the kid. Safety be damned, I'd have let it slide by a centimetre or two. To be fair, those height limits exist because of the technical limits of the restraints. There's no way a seven-year-old can be held in place safely on a big coaster, so you can't blame park ops for being strict.

59 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Doesn't Poland have lower labour construction costs?

Yes. Although their currency has lower buying power, so that would inflate the price tag, no?

I feel like something like Fønix at Fårup Sommerland would work great in this plot of land. People who have ridden the ride have said it’s extremely smooth, not too intense and a great choice for a kids first big coaster, it would sit nicely in the line up and i feel like it would be such a great fit if the coasters aren’t what we think they are. 

an RMC would be nice, however i feel like that type of coaster is more centred around the enthusiasts compared to the general public. They seem very intense and are known for having uncomfortable restraints and sometimes painful airtime (opinions varies from person to person), i just don’t see it being the best fit for whatever they are about to add.

8 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Untamed at Walibi Holland is 120cm, and more realistic for something that scale to be at MW

Right... but you're the one who specifically brought up Zadra, not me. 🙄

7 hours ago, Rivals said:

I feel like something like Fønix at Fårup Sommerland would work great in this plot of land. People who have ridden the ride have said it’s extremely smooth, not too intense and a great choice for a kids first big coaster, it would sit nicely in the line up and i feel like it would be such a great fit if the coasters aren’t what we think they are.

Agree. It seems there's several Vekoma models that would work well in this plot of land, the Wildcat being one of them. Five or ten years ago, who'd have thought that enthusiasts would be holding out for a new Vekoma to come to their park? 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

All those Vekomas are just trying to replicate RMC's

all manufactures now are starting to use RMC type elements, like wave turns, stalls, outer banked hills. it’s normal for manafactures to pick up on new trends and implement them into their design, just cause RMC started it, doesn't mean they’re the best.

if i had to choose vekoma or RMC to be installed at our parks first, i’d choose a new gen Vekoma Thrill Coaster to be installed over an RMC (single rail may be an exception)

Edited by Rivals

40 minutes ago, Rivals said:

if i had to choose vekoma or RMC to be installed at our parks first, i’d choose a new gen Vekoma Thrill Coaster to be installed over an RMC (single rail may be an exception)

A new-gen Vekoma Thrill Coaster would fit Movie World much more than any RMC, especially because of DC Rivals. But as far as 'our parks' go, no other park really has an airtime machine, whereas most of the potential RMC parks already have a launch (with inversions, too) so an RMC'd still probably be better like at all other parks.

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

All those Vekomas are just trying to replicate RMC's

No. Just no.

Edited by Tricoart
Quoted too much

24 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Ignoring the fact it isn't open yet, Isn't Leviathan supposed to have a bunch of Air Time? or am I being wishful?

it looks like it’s more of a pretty evenly split twister / airtime layout. besides Leviathan and DCR (maybe superman too?), there really isn’t an airtime focus coaster on the coast. ST has its moments, buts it’s definitely inversion focused which is also now one of its kind on the coast as Arkham is gone

5 hours ago, Naazon said:

Ignoring the fact it isn't open yet, Isn't Leviathan supposed to have a bunch of Air Time? or am I being wishful?

As much as I'd want it to, I think it's more designed to give a few moments of gentle floater over the persistent aggressive ejector that RMC's known for/DCR has. Won't know for sure until it's open, but the website has consistently listed it under a 'Mild' thrill level (in comparison, Storm is 'Max'), which doesn't mean a whole lot in and of itself, but further leads me to a conclusion of it being purposefully milder. So, even though Sea World's probably the park that'd be 2nd most benefitted by a Vekoma Thrill Coaster, I still think they'd be at least evenly benefitted by a ride like an RMC.

On 15/07/2022 at 12:47 PM, Rivals said:

I also don't think aus laws would allow for shorter kids to go on a ride like Zadra, I mean kids have to be 110cm to go on RRRC, and 120cm to go on alone. 

Height restrictions are (for the most part) based on restraint designs. In theory you can totally put shorter kids on rides - provided you redesign the restraint to suit them (see Motocoaster, for example).

Roadrunner was previously a 90cm accompanied rider height, and changed to 110cm without any changes to the restraint too.

On 16/07/2022 at 11:00 PM, CR4ZE said:

I will say that the price tag of the ride itself would be well within VR's means.

Higher material and labour costs as well as the 'Australia tax' not to mention purely the cost of shipping everything overseas tends to add a lot more to the base cost to construct in Australia than overseas.

• Richard changed the title to Arkham asylum replacement theming??