Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

15 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Are we now looking at a Wizard of Oz theme for Arkham’s replacements?

Similar colour

DC50F892-4491-4A50-A112-431DD3EDA94D.thumb.jpeg.f1a70e2aa48bda13ad69e7784559c55b.jpeg

practically confirms the 20th of July announcement is Arkham’s replacement, i mean look where the tornado is. It would be such a cool theme away from all the DC Themes i hope it is Wizard of Oz.

The Public will see “something big is coming” and thing a big new ride but if it is the family coasters it might be a bit disappointing :( 

Edited by Rivals

1 minute ago, rappa said:

OMG are we still making this insane argument.

It could be an area with 10 kids rides and it would still be big.

I'm talking about the public, the public hears ‘big’ and thinks of a giant new ride, not a new family rides (even if it is what the park needs), and will probably lead to disappointment.

I do love the theme will most likely be wizard of oz though, it will be an amazing new area (if it’s done right)

55 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I'm talking about the public, the public hears ‘big’ and thinks of a giant new ride, not a new family rides (even if it is what the park needs), and will probably lead to disappointment.

I do love the theme will most likely be wizard of oz though, it will be an amazing new area (if it’s done right)

I agree the public would be disappointed.

However, my thoughts are that the marketing team is much smarter than that. If it were to be just a kids themed area, it wouldn’t be something big, especially if themed to wizard of Oz. It would be something ‘magical’ or something ‘wicked.’ So to keep our spirits up, let’s think bigger than kids rides!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I've been making it this argument for years and honestly people just need to accept that it doesn't matter. Pent up demand post-pandemic means that guests are flooding the park in record numbers despite all the concerns such as continued criticism from the general public and enthusiasts, rising costs, lowered operational capacity, poor attraction upkeep, and it being almost five years since they added a new attraction. Cash flow is likely to remain positive for the interim because of this, and despite a visibly obvious poor guest experience, we wont see any changes until that cash stops flowing. 

Sadly, Movie World has been cashing in on decades worth of positive experiences and nostalgia at the expense of consumer trust. Much like a certain mouse celebrating an anniversary in Florida. If you've ever been scorned by a brand then you know that it takes a lot to build trust, and very little to lose it. This business mentality is great for short-term monetary gain, and it's going to bite them on the ass in the future - Especially when the world comes to Brisbane in 2032 and all the park has to showcase are a couple decent rollercoasters.

• Like 5

Not that there's much debate that whatever this is will be Wizard Of Oz themed (1996 Twister can make some sense as well though and is owned by WB), however another bit of evidence seems to be almost a potential Mashup of the original sounds from the movie used? I didn't investigate too thoroughly but a quick skim through this video pointed to at around 29 seconds, 1 minute and 1:50 in this video, all mashed up would create the same sound used in the teaser. Including the build up, the loud wind gusts and that thunderous sound right at the end.     https://youtu.be/RQWSh7Db-_E

Edited by Joshaaye
  • Like 1

I'm just really confused right...

Are these park management shrewd businesspeople that only care about the bottom line and delivering only attractions that will make money in the easiest way possible. (ie build a big thrill coaster for quick teen money)

Or are they idiots that don't care about long term business and are stupidly building a disappointing themed family attraction that's ultimately bad for business and built on an old IP?

Genuinely not sure what critique is being thrown out here about this?

7 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

Genuinely excited if it is Wizard of Oz-themed and hugely relieved they're moving away from DC Comics.

Other than some small kids rides in Kids WB and the Junior Driving School in 2013, the last non-DC attraction was Scooby which opened 20 years. Great to see new attractions will finally be themed to something else.

I’m already thinking about how they could do this. I’d love to see the original Lethal Weapon entrance reopen. That alley becomes the yellow brick road and leads into Main Street and it create a fully immersive area with the attractions. I’d be happy to see them close the access from Superman to achieve this. That keeps the DC area seperate from this and creates an exciting journey into this new land.

Edited by themagician
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

Other than some small kids rides in Kids WB and the Junior Driving School in 2013, the last non-DC attraction was Scooby which opened 20 years. Great to see new attractions will finally be themed to something else.

To add to that, I believe this would be the first ever non-Disney park to add an Oz-themed attraction. 🌈

If it's themed well, is large enough to work as a second path that connects to the bottom of the park as to circumvent main street (as the movement of the tornado somewhat suggests), and doesn't open 3 years after the precinct's original opening date, it could be great despite having 3 cloned kiddie/family coasters.

Edited by Tricoart

14 minutes ago, themagician said:

I’m already thinking about how they could do this. I’d love to see the original Lethal Weapon entrance reopen. That alley becomes the yellow brick road and leads into Main Street and it create a fully immersive area with the attractions. I’d be happy to see them close the access from Superman to achieve this. That keeps the DC area seperate from this and creates an exciting journey into this new land.

Wouldn't this be too disruptive to the Super-Villains precinct? If my memory serves me correctly, the entrance to the alley you speak of is now blocked off by Killer Croc...

1 minute ago, CR4ZE said:

Wouldn't this be too disruptive to the Super-Villains precinct? If my memory serves me correctly, the entrance to the alley you speak of is now blocked off by Killer Croc...

Nope, Super-Villains never had access to Arkham.

3 previous access ways

Via Superman

Between Deli and The Bank (original Lethal Entrance)

To the left of The Scooby Spooky castle.

20 minutes ago, themagician said:

i think the problem with this is that it would create a giant dead end, but if they opened up the original lethal weapon entrance and kept the superman pathway open; it would get rid of all the dead ends (excluding WWF which is inevitable)

If it is a full out kids / family area (the 2/3 coasters, smaller rides ect) the location of it is kinda perfect. Having it near the bigger rides such as superman means the parents can enjoy the big rides, with the kids being close by going off into the new area. They would just have to create some sort of entrance into the area which would make the transition between the different themes not jarring

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Nope, Super-Villains never had access to Arkham.

3 previous access ways

Via Superman

Between Deli and The Bank (original Lethal Entrance)

To the left of The Scooby Spooky castle.

Ah, my mistake. The Scooby entrance is the one (I think) I'm referring to. To my original point though, that's all sealed off now, no?

I am cautiously optimistic that recent attendance has shown management that attraction capacity is vitally important to Movie World's long-term success and that we will see some proper family attractions included in this themed area. Oz works perfectly for a high-capacity boat ride and brings the park back to its roots. 

Wizard of Oz? Safe to say nobody was expecting that! I love the idea.

A Mack Spinning Coaster would fit the theme pretty well. I'd like a scenario where Gumbuya World gets the SFC while MW gets a Sierra Sidewinder / Storm Chaser paired with the duelling Boomerang.

• Love it! 1

• rappa changed the title to Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement